Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Want to order new F150 but ...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM
drdave
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to order new F150 but ...

I've built a couple of models on the Ford website but cannot get to the exact vehicle I want. The Lariat has all of the options I want but the price is too much for me. I'd like to stick with the XLT but there are two options that doesn't seem to be available that I absolutely have to have. Those are the universal garage door opener and a sunroof. Why doesn't Ford offer these options on every model?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can buy a used Homelink module on eBay for around $25 (or less) and if you're handy, you can install it yourself in a precast void in the XLT visor. Do a Google search for instructions. I believe I learned how on an Escape forum. Or you could buy just the visor with the controls from Ford for around $300 if they make it in your interior color. If you order the XLT package with lighted vanity mirrors, you can use the wiring in the visor for the Homelink. When I bought mine, money was tight so I gradually added the Homelink, painted handles, flares, and power steps so I have the look and conveniences I wanted for less $$. I wouldn't even consider anything but a factory moonroof..I had one in my Superduty and rarely used it as there was so much wind buffeting with it open. The power slide rear window I have now is way more practical and moves the air through nicely and quietly.

Last edited by Going_Going_Gone; 05-03-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add moonroof comments
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He he lol, I think we all go into a purchase wanting a nicer truck than what the budget will allow. Wether you are buying out right or making payments I guarantee you will be happier in the end for buying the truck that fits your budget over the one with the minor got to have features.

Few years ago I had to buy a new company truck for my business. It was '08 and I didn't care for anything Ford had out during that era, Toyotas were more than I wanted to spend. I stumbled on a brand new fully loaded Nissan Frontier, crew can, 4x4 with a sunroof for a lot less money than stripped Toyotas I was looking at and even less than the full sized Chevy / Dodge trucks I looked at as well.

Anyway as cool as I thought the sunroof was, I used it maybe twice in the three years I owned the truck. I probably would never get another truck with one if I had another opportunity.

Also I don't see how a built in garage door opener is a deal breaker? They have apps for smart phones that can link to your garage. Just saying.

Sorry to keep rambling, but I swear I saw a black XLT super cab F-150 a few weeks ago with a sunroof but I could have been wrong.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As many problems as I had with the sunroof on my Expedition, I would NEVER have one again. A big hole in a perfectly good roof is trouble waiting to happen

Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Jeff. My 2000 Expy drains in the moon roof plugged every year causing water to soak up the head liner. Never again. We never used it anyway. As for the garage door opener...what's wrong with the remote that comes with it? Just clip to visor. Works the same way.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
ommegang
Senior User
I was in the same boat recently. An xlt in blk that I didn't want for 29,500 or an fx in the everything I desired for 34,000. Took the fx. I do like the openers. I don't like reg openers hanging on the visor. Screw the sunroof. Too many potential problems. Do Fx come with sunroof?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
For my garage door opener (Liftmaster brand), they make these tiny little openers that are the size of a key fob and can go on a key ring--so no worries about the big thing hanging off the visor. Little piece of velcro (which they give you) and I can stick it on the console, find it by feel, and it is almost completely invisible. You could put it on the dash, on the side of a seat or underneath as well. Or you could just keep it on your keychain like a fob. We have one hanging on a coathook inside the side door of the house as well so we can open the garage ahead of time (it is a separate freestanding garage).

As for sunroofs, I won't pay extra for one. I've had a number of vehicles with them (bought used), but rarely open them.

George

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by drdave
I've built a couple of models on the Ford website but cannot get to the exact vehicle I want. The Lariat has all of the options I want but the price is too much for me. I'd like to stick with the XLT but there are two options that doesn't seem to be available that I absolutely have to have. Those are the universal garage door opener and a sunroof. Why doesn't Ford offer these options on every model?
marketing is as marketing does ....

looks like if you have to have a sun roof and homelink, you are buying a Lariat, with the Lariat Plus package.

not that you asked for opinions .... but out of all the options my exploder has on it, the sun roof and the home link are the two features i have found no practical use for.

the home link can be made to work with my garage door, but i haven't been able to figgure out how to hold the button down on the garage door opener AND the homelink at the same time ... i suppose i could ask for the wife's help .. but it's never been important enough to bother with.

as for the sun roof, the only thing i ever do with that is to constantly close the interior door to quite the wind noise. it will shift and open slightly then you can hear the wind noise from the sun roof ... so i reach up every 10 or 15 minutes and close the slider door again silence the draft. Not very usefull in the daytime either, unless you wear a baseball cap to shade your eyes from the sun coming from the hole in the roof ....

JMO .... god bless you if you like them ... but i've just not found the use ... as someone else said, i sure wouldn't pay extra to have one.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok when setting up the home link you do NOT have to hold down the button in the garage door opener and the home link. Basically you put the garage door opener in learn mode and it usually stays there for about 30 seconds, which you then get in your vehicle and hold down the link button. Your vehicle manual should be able to tell you exactly how to set it.

With my Sequoia I had to do it and it would fail...then I would be able to just hold down the visor remote button and the home link button and it would program it. Funny hope it had to fail first before it allowed me to just use the remote to program it.

Originally Posted by meborder
marketing is as marketing does ....

looks like if you have to have a sun roof and homelink, you are buying a Lariat, with the Lariat Plus package.

not that you asked for opinions .... but out of all the options my exploder has on it, the sun roof and the home link are the two features i have found no practical use for.

the home link can be made to work with my garage door, but i haven't been able to figgure out how to hold the button down on the garage door opener AND the homelink at the same time ... i suppose i could ask for the wife's help .. but it's never been important enough to bother with.

as for the sun roof, the only thing i ever do with that is to constantly close the interior door to quite the wind noise. it will shift and open slightly then you can hear the wind noise from the sun roof ... so i reach up every 10 or 15 minutes and close the slider door again silence the draft. Not very usefull in the daytime either, unless you wear a baseball cap to shade your eyes from the sun coming from the hole in the roof ....

JMO .... god bless you if you like them ... but i've just not found the use ... as someone else said, i sure wouldn't pay extra to have one.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium

Ok when setting up the home link you do NOT have to hold down the button in the garage door opener and the home link. Basically you put the garage door opener in learn mode and it usually stays there for about 30 seconds, which you then get in your vehicle and hold down the link button. Your vehicle manual should be able to tell you exactly how to set it.

With my Sequoia I had to do it and it would fail...then I would be able to just hold down the visor remote button and the home link button and it would program it. Funny hope it had to fail first before it allowed me to just use the remote to program it.
its been quite a while since i've tried, but as i remember it, as soon as you let of the button on the garaged door opener, it exits its learning mode.

i rarely park it inside anyway ..... as i said, it has not been a very usefull function for me, that's all.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Had to go to Google to "see" how to program the remote in the wife's new car. I found this:
How To Program the Garage Door Opener in Your Car - Programming A Car Garage Door Opener (HD) - YouTube

Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
DoinicDenson
New User
The power slide rear window I have now is way more practical and moves the air through nicely and quietly.