Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

09 5.4 vs 11 5.0 mpg/towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what meborder said. Hook them both up to your trailer and see which one you like better. On paper I'd go with the '11 5.0.

As for towing mpg, no matter what your towing with, you will get crappy mpg's. Just nature of the beast. I don't speed when I tow but I do like to be able to keep my speed when I encounter a hill and/or headwind. That is sometimes worth the mpg penalty ( if any ) to me.

The ecoboost will feel most like the op's 7.3 stroker when towing.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why did the eco boost even get talked about ? OP asked about a 09- 5.4 or a 11- 5.0 i would say use them both to tow something and see witch it is you like! if the dealer wants to make a deal he will let you hook them up and compare! i have a 10 5.4 that i like and prefer it over the bosses 5.0 but thats me. you may like the 5.0 over the 5.4.
reasons for one liking one over the other is all personal they both will tow a horse or boat trailer just fine!

pick what one makes you happy and enjoy!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
2manytoyz
New User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
The 5.4L only has more torque when running on E85, on regular 87-octane gasoline the 5.0L has 15 ft-lbs MORE torque. While I really like the 5.4L the new 5.0 has it outclassed in just about every way. Given the choice I'd pick the 2011.
That's interesting, but if it's better, why is my 2010 F150 equipped with a 5.4L rated at 11,100 lb towing capacity (has max towing package), yet the 2012 5.0L (with max tow package) has a maximum of only 10,000 lbs?

The Ecoboost, with same configuration, has the same rating as my 5.4L... so why is the 5.0L lower?

My "theory" is the torque curve is better on the 5.4L as it develops more torque at lower RPMs.

I tow a 5000 lb 25' travel trailer. Hardly know it's back there.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz
That's interesting, but if it's better, why is my 2010 F150 equipped with a 5.4L rated at 11,100 lb towing capacity (has max towing package), yet the 2012 5.0L (with max tow package) has a maximum of only 10,000 lbs?

The Ecoboost, with same configuration, has the same rating as my 5.4L... so why is the 5.0L lower?

My "theory" is the torque curve is better on the 5.4L as it develops more torque at lower RPMs.

I tow a 5000 lb 25' travel trailer. Hardly know it's back there.
Ford wanted to push more ecoboosts so they only gave them the max tow capability. That is the only reason as the 5.0 is a more powerful engine than your 5.4

I do agree that the 5.4 has a better torque curve but that has nothing to do with Ford's decision

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
2manytoyz
New User
Since the max tow package is not a popular option, not sure Ford would down grade the 5.0 tow rating to make the Ecoboost look better. Even if the towing numbers were the same, they're claiming better fuel economy/performance. Most people don't use trucks to tow heavy trailers, so the fuel economy is an appealing option these days.

I have no desire to trade my 5.4L for an Ecoboost, but I am impressed it has the same tow rating, despite being so much smaller. In my mind, a smaller engine has to work significantly harder to do the same job as a larger engine. If the truck gets a fair amount of use, I expect the smaller engine to wear out faster. Time will tell.

I've had a 5.0L in a Mustang, it was great. Had a 5.0L in a 1994 E150, and it was underpowered compared to the later E150s with 4.6L engines. But the newer 5.0L has got significantly more oomph than the ones I've had. I would still choose it over the Ecoboost, despite the tow numbers...

Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
Since the max tow package is not a popular option, not sure Ford would down grade the 5.0 tow rating to make the Ecoboost look better. Even if the towing numbers were the same, they're claiming better fuel economy/performance. Most people don't use trucks to tow heavy trailers, so the fuel economy is an appealing option these days.

I have no desire to trade my 5.4L for an Ecoboost, but I am impressed it has the same tow rating, despite being so much smaller. In my mind, a smaller engine has to work significantly harder to do the same job as a larger engine. If the truck gets a fair amount of use, I expect the smaller engine to wear out faster. Time will tell.

I've had a 5.0L in a Mustang, it was great. Had a 5.0L in a 1994 E150, and it was underpowered compared to the later E150s with 4.6L engines. But the newer 5.0L has got significantly more oomph than the ones I've had. I would still choose it over the Ecoboost, despite the tow numbers...
The ecoboost doesn't have to run at higher rpms to generate it's hp and torque because of it's turbos. I have towed over 10k up a hill and only saw 2500 rpm, So it will not wear out any faster than the 5.4

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
2manytoyz
New User
Originally Posted by truckerdude
The ecoboost doesn't have to run at higher rpms to generate it's hp and torque because of it's turbos. I have towed over 10k up a hill and only saw 2500 rpm, So it will not wear out any faster than the 5.4
Do you know the difference in cylinder pressures (turbo vs. non-turbo), and how that will ultimately play a part in the stresses in the engine?

Turbos are not without fault...

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
From a pure economic standpoint, I recommend you go with the 11 5.0. I drive an 09 5.4 w/maxtow and I have no problem towing my Jeep/carhauler or our TT. The 3k difference in price is also a good offset for the negative value you have in your trade in. I honestly believe the differences in the 5.4 and 5.0 are not ones you will 'feel' or see during towing and/or DD use. There may be some differences that make good fodder for the forum and over a beer, but not during actual use. I think either truck will serve you well, so I say get the less expensive one and enjoy.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you know the difference in cylinder pressures (turbo vs. non-turbo), and how that will ultimately play a part in the stresses in the engine?

Turbos are not without fault...
I had a 2007 FX4 with the 5.4L and i will tell you there is no comparison to my 11' FX4 Ecoboost when it comes to towing. The 5.4L could not pull the same grade hill as the Ecoboost and maintain speed . And as far as the ecoboost being stressed, keep in mind that the ecoboost even though a V6 is still built with much, much ,much stronger internals than the 5.4L. Yes the engine might have high cylinder pressure compared to the 5.4L but it is built to handle that pressure. If you were to put a supercharger or turbo on the 5.4L with its stock internals then you might worry about having problems with engine stress.Dont get me wrong, I loved my V8 and still miss the roar of that engine! I have always believed in the old saying "There is no replacement for displacement" That is until now ....

Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
2manytoyz
New User
Theories are great, but time will tell whether the manufacturer's claims are true, or if there's going to be some upset people.

I've been burned before, so I'm a little cautious when a new product comes out. Might be GREAT, might be a turd.

Intial reports look good on the Ecoboost. My recently retired lead engineer bought one a month ago (custom ordered). He's pleased with his as well. His previous trucks were both F150s. One with a 5.0 (stick), and a 4.6L (auto). On the same mountain pass where he had to downshift with both previous trucks, the Ecoboost didn't need to. Wasn't towing in the comparisons.

I'm towing a 5000 lb trailer, and I might go from a 25' travel trailer to a 27' someday, which will add another 2000 lbs (roughly). The 5.4L hardly knows it's back there.

My BIL has a 31' travel trailer. Initially towed it with an F150 (5.4L) He was near the max tow rating. He traded it in for an F250 with a diesel. Wasn't so much about the motor as he didn't like being at the top of the chassis rating.

Report back in a few years, we'll see how the Ecoboost is doing then...

Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I had a 2007 FX4 with the 5.4L and i will tell you there is no comparison to my 11' FX4 Ecoboost when it comes to towing. The 5.4L could not pull the same grade hill as the Ecoboost and maintain speed . And as far as the ecoboost being stressed, keep in mind that the ecoboost even though a V6 is still built with much, much ,much stronger internals than the 5.4L. Yes the engine might have high cylinder pressure compared to the 5.4L but it is built to handle that pressure. If you were to put a supercharger or turbo on the 5.4L with its stock internals then you might worry about having problems with engine stress.Dont get me wrong, I loved my V8 and still miss the roar of that engine! I have always believed in the old saying "There is no replacement for displacement" That is until now ....
ya and you also got 2 more gears form 07 to 09, so the 09 with 5.4 would be a far sight better than the 07 just for that fact not 100% sure but pretty sure the internals for the 5.4, 5.0, and eco boost are all rated the same. ill have to look that up in the shope manules.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
ya and you also got 2 more gears form 07 to 09, so the 09 with 5.4 would be a far sight better than the 07 just for that fact not 100% sure but pretty sure the internals for the 5.4, 5.0, and eco boost are all rated the same. ill have to look that up in the shope manules.
I believe the Ecoboost has forged internals with a steel crank and 6 bolt mains. And the 5.4 have a cast crank and Hypereutectic pistons. I don't think Ford engineers would build a twin turbo boosted engine with the high cylinder pressures and use the same internals as there naturally aspirated engines. Then we would be seeing a bunch of upset Ford owners!! I will agree with you on there being a big difference between the old 4spd and the new 6spd trans so im not sure how much different the 5.4 would tow with the 6spd. All i do know is that the Ecoboost never sees over 2500 rpm while towing my 7500lb camper up the steepest hills.That for me makes it a more enjoyable and pleasant ride..

Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
2manytoyz
New User
I would like to see a video comparing the towing characteristics of the 4.6 vs. 5.0 vs. 5.4 vs. 3.5 Turbo, but it's not gonna happen!

Ford showed a video of the Ecoboost out towing the Dodge Hemi.

A few years prior, Ford showed the 5.4L also out towing the Dodge Hemi.

Experts Test the Get Up and Go of 09 F-150 - YouTube

It's all talk 'til I see ya on the on-ramp.

Hope you boys with the new model enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
2manytoyz
New User
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I don't think Ford engineers would build a twin turbo boosted engine with the high cylinder pressures and use the same internals as there naturally aspirated engines. Then we would be seeing a bunch of upset Ford owners!!
Oh, I remember when Oldsmobile took a 350 gasoline engine, and converted it to a diesel. Wasn't designed for that sort of compression, and the engines would slowly crack apart.

I hope Ford engineers don't pull such a stunt, but it has been done before. My coworker had one of these vehicles. When he first bought it, he had nothing but praise. Within a year or two, it was a major POS! Not implying the Ecoboost will be anything other than excellent, but it's these stort of events that makes me cautious about anything "new and better".

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Oh, I remember when Oldsmobile took a 350 gasoline engine, and converted it to a diesel. Wasn't designed for that sort of compression, and the engines would slowly crack apart.

I hope Ford engineers don't pull such a stunt, but it has been done before. My coworker had one of these vehicles. When he first bought it, he had nothing but praise. Within a year or two, it was a major POS! Not implying the Ecoboost will be anything other than excellent, but it's these stort of events that makes me cautious about anything "new and better".
I am still a little Leary about the longevity of this motor too but im optimistic only because Ford has alot riding on the Ecoboost line and they know in the back of there minds that they cant afford another catastrophic failure like the 6.0 powerstroke. It would devastate there credibility. So I'm banking on that and assuming the engineers were at the top of there game when they built this motor!!

Quick Reply: 09 5.4 vs 11 5.0 mpg/towing