1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone Leveling Kit or Pro Comp Springs... Dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
johnsland8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zone Leveling Kit or Pro Comp Springs... Dilemma?

Zone Offroad 2 1/2" Leveling Kit = +/- $350
Pro Comp 2" Springs (250) + Zone Adj Track Bar (100) = +/- $350

2001 F-350 V-10

I guess I would prefer to replace the springs completely but how hard are they to replace?

I already installed a mini leaf pack leveling kit before realizing how bad my stock springs were sagging. (Because apparently I'm slow and did not come here for enough research first).
Not only sagging but the driver side is a hair over 1" lower than the passenger side.

I know what I am in for if I were to install the Zone leveling kit but I am concerned that it will not level both sides evenly?

The springs I'm worried how hard they are to install and if they might stiffen the ride? Also a little worried about noise, do these have isolators in them?

The truck doesn't get driven a lot, mostly when I'm towing. I want it to sit level and to squeeze some bigger tires/wheels under it to make it look less like "grandpa's truck" but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality either.

Thank you very much for any help or insight you can throw my way...

Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i installed the Pro Comp part #22210 front level springs. (they come in their 2" level kit) and i absolutely love them on my 5.4 powered f350. I got a little over a inch more then i did with stock leaf springs and a tuff country 1.5" front add a leaf i had before. They ride awesome and the truck handles corners like a Mustang now. I did the springs by myself in about four hours i think. I removed both tires and put 3ton jacks under each side of the front axle, i then used my 4ton jack and a piece of 6x6 for a spacer right behind the front leaf shackle to raise the frame so i could remove the front leaf spring, i then installed the new pro comp leaf and then went and did the other side. I then removed the tract bar and installed the Zone adjustable tract bar, i took four different measurements from various points on the front end to make sure i had the tract bar adjusted right so the front axle was centered, i then adjusted the steering link so my wheel was center and thats about it. If you never messed with trucks before id get a second hand to help you out though

Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
if you have a mini pack already and your truck is 1" off i would NEVER install a second set of level packs to try and FIX my sagged out factory springs. For the money id go new leaf springs and never worry again. Once they get that bad its all over for...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with SDScaler. I am running the Procomp leaf springs as well. Once you pull your stocks springs out and compare the two you will glad you went ahead and replaced them.

Just go with the Procomp leaf springs. I did mine myself, it really is not that bad. You do have to take the front bumper off to get to the front leaf spring bolts, however it is really easy to do. I was surprised how easy our bumpers come off our trucks.

You need a buddy to help you, putting the bumper back on without someone there to help you hold it will not be easy.

Save yourself a serious headache and go ahead and get an adjustable track bar. It will make putting everything back together much easier. You can get a Zone Offroad track bar on Amazon for about a 100 bucks.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
johnsland8
New User
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. The more I thought about it after the post the more i realized it would be silly not to replace the springs, especially for the same money.

The Pro Comp 22210 springs are the ones I was looking at so thanks for confirming they are the right ones.

And I am going with the Zone adjustable track bar. They don't appear to be available on Amazon right now but I did find them on another sight for $100 with free shipping.

A couple of more thoughts, or questions, for you guys...

1) I have the brand new U-bolts that came with the mini spring pack. I was thinking about using them instead of buying new ones for the Pro Comp springs. I may have to cut some more threads on them depending on the length differences. Do you see any problems with this? I was also thinking that if I decided I wanted or needed another 1 - 1 1/2" of lift after the new spring install I could always install the 1 or 2 longer pieces of the mini spring pack, as needed, to get a little extra lift. Do you think that would work?

2) On the bumper removal... I'm not there to look at it right now but if I end up having to do this myself, is it possible to only remove one side and loosen the other side to swing it out of the way enough and support it while doing one of the leafs and then reattach that side and repeat for the other side, instead of removing it completely?

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
As long as the u bolts have never been used they might work. I ended up ordering the kit, and it came with u bolts. U bolts are supposed to only be used once. I have the mini spring pack that you buy off Ebay in my garage right now, and have thought along the same lines as you.

Keep in mind if you do end up doing that, you are going to need longer shocks and I am pretty sure the pitman arm is going to come into play as well.

The bumper, is going to be difficult. Maybe you could have a neighbor come over and give you hand for a minute. I am not saying you can't take it off yourself, it is going to be hard to do though. The bumper is basically 6 bolts. One on each side that holds the brackets that are located on the back side of the bumper in the wheel wells, and then the 4 on front.

Also getting things lined up with the springs is tough by yourself too. I am not trying to scare you, but an extra person is going to make this MUCH easier.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
johnsland8
New User
Great, thanks again for the info.

I will most likely just get a buddy to come help. Even when you're not dealing with big heavy parts, just the up/down, up/down, up/down, that I must have done a 100 times chasing tools and parts on the spring pack is enough to 1/2 kill a guy... and it takes twice as long. I'm thinking a 6-pack for tool running and a 6-pack for heavy lifting should entice any of my friends to lend an afternoon...

Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
How many springs per side did you guys start out with. Mine has 3 per side. I think that throws a wrench in my plan compared to if setups.

Oh and also I have taken the bumpers off by myself. Not hard at all. Ofcourse, it would be easier with 2 people but it isn't a big deal on your own. My front bumper took 4 bolts from the front only to take it off.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
johnsland8
New User
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
How many springs per side did you guys start out with. Mine has 3 per side. I think that throws a wrench in my plan compared to if setups.
My '01 F-350 has two springs which I think is standard on the Superduty trucks? Do you have three full springs or is it possible someone put an add-a-leaf in there?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnsland8
My '01 F-350 has two springs which I think is standard on the Superduty trucks? Do you have three full springs or is it possible someone put an add-a-leaf in there?

I still can't figure out what I have here. I have 3 full springs up front( I thought f350's had this setup) and 6 on each side on the back axel (not counting the overloads). Is this a special order suspension? I am also wandering if the zone would work while not effecting ride quality.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
all SD have two front springs, my front add aleaf from tuff country was a full length one. But some companies do sell short front add a leafs.... also someone could have added a different spring to the front end JBG sells a three leaf spring that gives u 1.5"
2000-04 F250-350 1.5" Front Leaf Springs

Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
all SD have two front springs, my front add aleaf from tuff country was a full length one. But some companies do sell short front add a leafs.... also someone could have added a different spring to the front end JBG sells a three leaf spring that gives u 1.5"
2000-04 F250-350 1.5" Front Leaf Springs
Here's what I have:
Front spring.
Snapbucket :: Front leaf spring. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Back springs.
Snapbucket :: Rear suspension picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Sorry for some reason I cannot load photos the correct way because I use a phone.

Is this not factory suspension?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
shaneinga
Elder User

Factory leaf on my 2004 F250 5.4 gasser.

ProComp leaf spring

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
your front is stock Ford with the Tuff country 1.5" long add a leaf. I had the same one installed for a few years untill i installed my ProComp leaf springs. Now your rear springs are not Ford, either the previous owner cracked one,or the load capacity was not enough and they installed aftermarket heaver springs. Ford springs look nothing like that, our clamps are differnt and not as close

Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
love me some ProComp 22210 front springs! Ride beautiful, got me the height i wanted, and flex like a dam slinky offroad!

Quick Reply: Zone Leveling Kit or Pro Comp Springs... Dilemma?