Anyone working with the Banks Automind Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
JoeFin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone working with the Banks Automind Tuner

$400ish - 4 Tunes, Towing-Sport-Performance-Economy

<LI class=productDetailsTabContentListItem>Equipped with four standard tunes: power, towing, sport and economy<LI class=productDetailsTabContentListItem>Opens the door for customized modding to your rev limited, speed limited, speedometer calibration, cooling fan activation temp, shift points and more
Any good ?

I like the name and the price but can't find any information about the mythical "Other Downloads" they speak of on the Bank's site

Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeFin

<LI class=productDetailsTabContentListItem>Equipped with four standard tunes: power, towing, sport and economy<LI class=productDetailsTabContentListItem>Opens the door for customized modding to your rev limited, speed limited, speedometer calibration, cooling fan activation temp, shift points and more
Any good ?

I like the name and the price but can't find any information about the mythical "Other Downloads" they speak of on the Bank's site
JMHO here, do yourself a favor & do a little research before buying any tunes. An example would be a PowerHungryPerformance 6-position chip for $295. I ran a Banks tune for roughly 75k miles before getting the PHP chip & while I really can't say anything bad about the Banks tune I am much happier with the tunes I have now. Nothing wrong with Banks but I just believe there are better deals out there $$ wise.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
foust123
Junior User
BTS is the best yet that i have had experience with, just my opinion but he is worth looking into and spending a little bit more$$

Old 06-07-2022, 07:30 PM
Mark 2379
1st Gear
Banks Automind tuner

Originally Posted by JoeFin

Any good ?

I have a banks set up in my 2002 F250 It has been in my truck since 2002 right off the Ford lot. At that time Banks was just getting started and Ford turned their noses up at anyone changing their motors they still turn their noses up at companies changing their engines. But Ford mechanics love my engine when I take it in for service.

Banks has a reputation of looking at an engine and working to make it more efficient. That was the reason for the larger exhaust for the 7.3. Gail Banks saw that Ford/ International chocked the exhaust down to a small pipe causing the exhaust gasses to add more heat than needed which is an engine killer.
My Banks exhaust, high pressure waste gate, exhaust break, and trans lock were around 4 grand at the time, but the system has held up over the years. The Automind is a performance chip. Mine is an older chip that reacts to the driving style and doesn't have any adjustments outside adapting to my lead foot. Just remember Banks is CARB approved system so you aren't getting anything very wild. Yes performance is increased mileage is increased I run down the highway at around 17 to 18mpg with my set up, if I keep my foot out of it. Exhaust gasses are lowered and the transmission wear and tear are reduced if you get the exhaust break and trans lock, but Banks doesn't program for a super high performance output on your truck. My truck is more powerful and runs better than stock, but it has lasted over the years because it isn't ramped up to push more HP than the engine or trans can take. Banks is a conservative performance mod that is designed to work with smog compliant requirements in any state.

Last time I got smogged they were looking at every non ford part for CARB numbers and they all had them. they even went on line to confirm they were legit.
Depends on what you want to do with your truck. I would start with a 4" exhaust system. it may not add a bunch of HP but it will save your engine and sound cool.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:53 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Just keep in mind that Banks has at least two 'minds... the original Ottomind and the subsequent Automind.

The original Ottomind (named after Nicolaus Otto who pioneered the 4-stroke engine) was a module that plugged directly into the manufacturing test port of the PCM's circuit board and stayed physically attached to the PCM, with no operator interaction or adjustments.

The subsequent Automind is a handheld tuning device that plugs into the OBDII port, and has several user selectable "tunes" accessible through a 5 button interface and LCD screen.