Sponsored by: Moser

New guy with first project truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewduncan15
would you be able to tell me the paint code for my 77 f150. it was repainted but the dash is blue. could be "Bright dark blue" or "ford royal blue" - don't know for sure
Here are all the blue code numbers found in your Data code, (I)Bright medium blue (N) medium blue irid. (S) blue irid. (N) light blue. Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Originally Posted by E.R.W.
that frame looks real purty. Did your body mount bolts come out pretty easy? i need to replace my rear cab mounts and the bolts look like the arent going to come out very easy.
Actually the bolts weren't a problem getting out, getting the retainers and bushings from the frame was my issue.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:15 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Haven't gotten a lot accomplished these last few days. Ive spent most my time heating, drilling, extracting, etc... on the manifold bolts. That didn't go so well either, I ended up cracking an ear on the head. So I pulled both heads and have them ready for the machine shop. I think I'll have valves, the ears welded, and some milling done while theyre there. The only other thing I can think of is to try and locate some 351c heads. Any opinions on this? The rest of the motor looks great. Looks like the motor was bored 30 over with forged pistons. If all goes well I should have the motor back together within the end of the month.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:44 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
I thought I would update. I don't have much done, picture worthy wise.

I pulled the trans, changed the fluid and painted it (that's my dog Luke, he's good moral support).

I painted my grill inserts

I pulled my transfer case, changed the fluid, cleaned it up, new bushing, and new paint.

I got the transmission back in, the transfer case back in (damn it's heavy; on the scales it was 140lbs), installed all new u-joints. I got all my power steering lines installed, and the pieces of metal welded in on my frame for my cab bushings. I'm held up waiting on the machine shop before I can do much more. I sure hope it won't be too much longer.

Now some bad news for me.. We had a awful wind storm about a month ago and my truck cab didn't fair out so well. It was on saw horses until the wind took it too the ground......

Parts wise... I got a gas tank off one of the members on this forum (thanks a lot man, it looks great), I managed to run across a guy today with a nice windshied, windshield chrome, nice headliner with the chrome molding all for $25.00. I think I got a great deal on that.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
25 BUCKS!!, you can't beat that with a stick!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN
25 BUCKS!!, you can't beat that with a stick!

I know right? SCORE!!!!!lol

Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
I haven't posted here in a while so I thought I would update.
My motor has me tied up for the most part. Heads spent prolly four months at the machine shop untouched. I found a set on craigslist fresh from the machine shop and bought them. Then come to find out my crank is bad. I have a friend with a 400 he said I could have with a new bottom end in it. He said he broke a wrist pin with in 50 miles of getting it back in, and swapped it out for a 460. So hopefully between the two motors I can make one. I'm really hoping I will be satisfied with the motor once its complete. Meaning I could have prolly bought a 460 for the same money I will have in my 351m/400 but the 351/400 will be new top to bottom for the most part. Got some pics of other things I have done I will post shortly.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
I purchased a donor truck. Robbed a bunch of parts off it and re sold it. It had 77k original miles on it. It was titled in 09 with 46k.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Got my cab inside to get started on my floor pans

I am by no way, shape, or form a body man. This is my first project and haven't done much body work in my life. So bare with me, I did the best I could.

Got it welded in, I know the welds dont look the best. It's been 12 years or so since I've welded.

I decided to fiberglass the bottom side, on both sides. The drivers side was decent with a few pin holes.

Here are final pics of the underside. Too sum it up, I used a butane torch and razor blade to remove 35 years of undercoating, grit, grime, and fluids. I put some sem rust eater on it. Then I used some truck bed liner paint, didn't really like the way it looked so I sprayed undercoating over that.

All in all I think it turned out okay for someone who dont know what they are doing.

I have now moved to the inside, I used bondo with fiberglass in it to smooth out the floor pan. Here is a pic of it in primer.

As soon as I get the drivers side finished, I will haul everything to the body shop for paint......and to let the pros fix some rust issues.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
I picked up three cans of sems interior dye. I dyed my dash pad, two visors, bench seat, and two door panels. I was impressed with this stuff, and it goes a long way.
I swiped the chrome inserts from my parts truck and put them on my door panels.

Here is a before pic of the seat. Everything I dyed was brown.

I purchased a sand blasting cabinet recently and I highly recommend everyone have one. I've blasted and repainted god knows how many parts in my spare time.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
ZP3
Senior User
Great progress so far man

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Justin.Hoeben
Senior User
Great build! Really like those rims, and the door panels. what size tyres are you putting on?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Justin.Hoeben
Great build! Really like those rims, and the door panels. what size tyres are you putting on?
Thanks! I'm gonna go with 35's

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
Thought I'd update with some pics

Before

After

I've been mostly doing little stuff like this. I'm still waiting on my motor to get finished. I hauled everything to the body shop for paint. I have a few pics I'll post up soon on that.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
77HyBoy
Junior User
I really wish I had a before pic on this oil pan, it was rough. Sanding, glaze, and paint make a world of difference.

Anyone seen these stickers before? I assume it aint stock. It's located on the dash below the steering wheel on the left side.

Quick Reply: New guy with first project truck