6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,037 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
DON'T BUY AN F250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The new F250's are made for guys that want to drive a big truck but not actually pull heavy loads. I say this thinking your 5th wheel may may grow in size one day.
I guess we can respectfully disagree. I'm not even sure how to address this comment other than to say that the load and towing capacity on the F-250 and F-350 with 6.7 PSD's are clearly identifiable and not too far apart. I find this statement absurd. I guess the F-350 equivalent my truck at 15,600 clearly makes my 14,300 look inadequate. It pulls my 34' 5er at roughly 13k loaded just fine.

From the 2011 Ford SD brochure:

Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fontana
We were both right. Filters were $74.00 plus tax. The rest was labor.

Buy your filters from dieselfiltersonline.com; I bought two sets and add in shipping the bill was $105. My 4 year old can change the filters:

$47.97 per set:
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/F...s-Fd-4615.aspx

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I guess we can respectfully disagree. I'm not even sure how to address this comment other than to say that the load and towing capacity on the F-250 and F-350 with 6.7 PSD's are clearly identifiable and not too far apart. I find this statement absurd.
X2.

Be aware of the specs yes, but a pretty ridiculous statement.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well my take on the 250/350 issue is that the price difference is relatively insignificant ($800) out of the total price of the vehicle - when all other options are identical. Especially if your area has no restrictions on GVWR with personal vehicle registrations. My opinion is that the F-250 model exists mainly for vehicle weight class purposes, either 4,500kg or 10,000lbs over/under regarding commercial registration or vehicle inspections or having to keep logbooks.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are 6'6"- Do not get a sunroof. You will lose a lot of head room.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
There are A LOT of people on here that will tell you in ALMOST every thread that you should leave your truck 100% stock, and if warranty is a concern to you then that is your safest bet. But you don't have to, it's your damn truck and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Yep, it's a great truck stock. But it can be better. Everything I have done was to improve on something. I have no mods for appearance, no smoked lights, extra chrome, fancy bumpers. Everything was to improve on stock. I have expensive tires on cheap rims..... The body is 100% stock but for the fender flares I had to add to cover the wider stance. Every mod has been a success IMHO, not sure what problems I have modded myself into?? I would not un do a single one. I tuned my truck before my first oil change and have loved every minute of it, who would not enjoy 500 RWHP??

I would never go back to stock from here. I liked the truck when I bought it but now I love it!

There are lot's of possibilities and you can do whatever you like. Leave it stock and enjoy it or make it into what you want. It's a great truck either way!

If I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing.

P.S, I just did the kick a** sterio and am loving that too.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11693963

Guess I just thought of a problem I have modded myself into.....I seem to be going deaf

Thanks

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Darren. Didn't I hear your playing led zepplin the other day? Dang it sounded good.
And I agree with Darren 100% do what you want. The only suggestion I would make is if in the future you planned on a lifting it.if you have to save up money buy a dang good lift kit. There's a ton of junk out there. This is my honest opinion.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmerdave
If you are 6'6"- Do not get a sunroof. You will lose a lot of head room.
Yeah, already thought of that too, the one I test drove had the sunroof so I opted not to get the sunroof or Nav. I can find my own way without help from a Nav unit. lol

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
There are A LOT of people on here that will tell you in ALMOST every thread that you should leave your truck 100% stock, and if warranty is a concern to you then that is your safest bet. But you don't have to, it's your damn truck and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Yep, it's a great truck stock. But it can be better. Everything I have done was to improve on something. I have no mods for appearance, no smoked lights, extra chrome, fancy bumpers. Everything was to improve on stock. I have expensive tires on cheap rims..... The body is 100% stock but for the fender flares I had to add to cover the wider stance. Every mod has been a success IMHO, not sure what problems I have modded myself into?? I would not un do a single one. I tuned my truck before my first oil change and have loved every minute of it, who would not enjoy 500 RWHP??

I would never go back to stock from here. I liked the truck when I bought it but now I love it!

There are lot's of possibilities and you can do whatever you like. Leave it stock and enjoy it or make it into what you want. It's a great truck either way!

If I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing.

P.S, I just did the kick a** sterio and am loving that too.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11693963

Guess I just thought of a problem I have modded myself into.....I seem to be going deaf

Thanks
Appreciate the info bro, I will def have a lift kit and larger tires, just dont think I will go too big. The only real thing that I will change on the inside is the stereo to blast some Black label , but will save up and go with a GOOD lift kit, if If im gonna spend this much coin on a truck, Im gonna have quality components. Dont think Im gonna mess with the power, I have a Fifth wheel and haul my harley on other toys around and with that much torque it will pull whatever I have and then some.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM
1991F35075L
New User
Before my bankruptcy I had a 2011 F250 6.7, great truck, well made, and I will never hesitate to own another one once I can afford it. I recommend the truck for sure!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryD
Appreciate the info bro, I will def have a lift kit and larger tires, just dont think I will go too big. The only real thing that I will change on the inside is the stereo to blast some Black label , but will save up and go with a GOOD lift kit, if If im gonna spend this much coin on a truck, Im gonna have quality components. Dont think Im gonna mess with the power, I have a Fifth wheel and haul my harley on other toys around and with that much torque it will pull whatever I have and then some.

If you are looking for a mild lift I would recommend the Carli Pintop King 2.5. It is a 4.5" lift front, 2.5" rear and uses Carli valved 2.5" king shocks. You can run 37's with it. It is a drastic improvement over stock handling and performance. If you want more info / opinions on it let me know. It is great, amazing how hard you can pound on it!

Regarding the Nav, that was one of the first things I told the salesman, I don't need the Nav. But the truck I picked out had it so I figured OH WELL. Sure glad it did now.......... I do not use the Nav at all, but the screen is a GREAT interface for everything! Radio, selecting media from ipod, changing balance / fade, dialing the phone, all your contacts on your phone sinc up and are on the screen and a whole lot more. Sure gald I got the Nav but not for the actual nav at all.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
[QUOTE=SavageNFS;11785828]I guess we can respectfully disagree. I'm not even sure how to address this comment other than to say that the load and towing capacity on the F-250 and F-350 with 6.7 PSD's are clearly identifiable and not too far apart. I find this statement absurd.

I am VERY aware of the specs. This is my 3rd Super Duty in 10 years and I choose them very carefully for the load I am going to be carrying and/or towing.

Have you hooked up a heavy camper, trailer or 5th wheel to a 2011 / 2012 F250 and watched it sag? Have you heard or read about how many people are taking brand new F250's and adding springs, air bags or F350 spacer blocks under them to compensate for said sag?

If not then I guess that explains why you find this absurd. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. If you know the English language and the proper meaning of those words fine, if not please look them up before posting your next comment.

My latter part of my comment was "... if your 5th wheel would be growing ...."; therefore, I believe my comment was properly stated.

Oh yeah, X2.
Happy trails, and towing, to you.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,037 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
I am VERY aware of the specs. This is my 3rd Super Duty in 10 years and I choose them very carefully for the load I am going to be carrying and/or towing.

Have you hooked up a heavy camper, trailer or 5th wheel to a 2011 / 2012 F250 and watched it sag? Have you heard or read about how many people are taking brand new F250's and adding springs, air bags or F350 spacer blocks under them to compensate for said sag?

If not then I guess that explains why you find this absurd. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. If you know the English language and the proper meaning of those words fine, if not please look them up before posting your next comment.

My latter part of my comment was "... if your 5th wheel would be growing ...."; therefore, I believe my comment was properly stated.

Oh yeah, X2.
Happy trails, and towing, to you.
I come here to enjoy my truck and talk to decent guys in a positive environment. So I will no longer engage you because you are simply throwing out your opinion as fact. My post as well as my signature have indicated the loads that my truck pulls often. I used published Ford specifications and not my opinion to make my point. Good luck to you.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I don't need luck buddy.

Why did this start, because YOU called me absurd, great way to be in a positive environment, name calling. So that's what you call positive.

Fact, read the forums and see if what I said isn't true ........ POINT!
Why did you get those Ride Right's again?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Cmon guys lets play nice. I was just wanting some opinions and if somebody disagrees with each other then thats OK too. I appreciate all the info and OPINIONS.

Quick Reply: Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions