Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Senior User

jleal_21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dana 60 oil leak

well after running my new to me d60 on my f250 it has started to leak some oil on the inner side of the passenger tire. i believe the seal for this fix is on the inside of the of the gear housing. am i correct? if anyone has changed these out please give me some info on how to go about it. thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Posting Guru

BlueMule has a good reputation on FTE.BlueMule has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes, the seals are inside the pumpkin. In order to replace them you'll have to remove the axle shafts and then the carrier.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Senior User

mjonesjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maurice Jones Jr. FireAttack8
The carrier and axle shafts will have to come out as the seal is on the inner portion of the axle. The carrier is a VERY tight fit. It will be hard to get in and out. You will also have to drop the tie rod end from the driver side steering knuckle.

Replace BOTH seals while you are in there. Replace them with the new upgraded seals from Spicer. The Spicer part # is 52148. They take a little modification to get them in, but you will see in the pictures below that it is SUPER easy and well worth it compared to the OEM style seals.

Be sure that you clean the sealing surface on the axle tubes VERY good.

Here are some pictures when I swapped mine out. You will see in the picture what you have to do to the upgraded seal.

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask. I've got changing inner axle seals down to a science as many times as I have changed them on my Jeep.

Click the image to open in full size.

3" Down Pipe to 4" Exhaust (Stainless) ~ Tymar Intake ~ TS 6 Position Chip ~ HPOP Cross Over Line ~ Regulated Return ~ E-Fuel System ~ Intercooled ~ CCV Mod ~ Dana 60 Swap
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior User

Redneckmorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Redneckmorton
Mine leaks too. How hard is it yo change it? I was quoted over $500 to change both.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckmorton View Post
Mine leaks too. How hard is it yo change it? I was quoted over $500 to change both.
They are easy to change. If you have about 4-6 hours you can do it yourself. It makes it easier to put the carrier back in with an extra set of hands.

3" Down Pipe to 4" Exhaust (Stainless) ~ Tymar Intake ~ TS 6 Position Chip ~ HPOP Cross Over Line ~ Regulated Return ~ E-Fuel System ~ Intercooled ~ CCV Mod ~ Dana 60 Swap
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
VT Chapter Ldr

wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr View Post
The carrier and axle shafts will have to come out as the seal is on the inner portion of the axle. The carrier is a VERY tight fit. It will be hard to get in and out. You will also have to drop the tie rod end from the driver side steering knuckle.

Replace BOTH seals while you are in there. Replace them with the new upgraded seals from Spicer. The Spicer part # is 52148. They take a little modification to get them in, but you will see in the pictures below that it is SUPER easy and well worth it compared to the OEM style seals.

Be sure that you clean the sealing surface on the axle tubes VERY good.

Here are some pictures when I swapped mine out. You will see in the picture what you have to do to the upgraded seal.

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask. I've got changing inner axle seals down to a science as many times as I have changed them on my Jeep.

Ok, I give, what is the modification to the seal, I don't see it. When I replaced mine last year I tried the new style and ended up F'ing both up. Went to NAPA got the old style for $10 and put those back in. I guess it depends on how much you use 4x4, which I don't very often, but haven't seen any leaks.
Jim- Slackmaster #22, I'll get to it someday BS'er #6. 1996 F250 CC Shorty 4X4 E4OD 7.3L Diesel
Mods: 6637 air filter,203 F t-stat from Diesel Site-finally heat! HPX line, Tymar 3-4 dp to 4" exhaust, E4OD "The Cure" 30K mod for now, 140IDM mod, ISSPRO ev1 egt, trans temp, boost, adrenaline HPOP med-oil, superduty rear springs, 91 D60, 6.0 trans cooler, need 100hp more... 01 excursion 7.3 4x4
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Senior User

There is a metal ring that needs to be ground down. The Super Duty Dana 60's have the extra lip machined into the axle tube for the metal lip. Once it is ground down it fits right into the OBS Dana 60.

It is actually a better seal as it is a 2 piece seal. The inner seal rotates inside the outer seal.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Is that why I couldn't get it to go in? Seemed more like the outside diameter of the light blue collar was too big. My dana 60 is a 91.
Jim- Slackmaster #22, I'll get to it someday BS'er #6. 1996 F250 CC Shorty 4X4 E4OD 7.3L Diesel
Mods: 6637 air filter,203 F t-stat from Diesel Site-finally heat! HPX line, Tymar 3-4 dp to 4" exhaust, E4OD "The Cure" 30K mod for now, 140IDM mod, ISSPRO ev1 egt, trans temp, boost, adrenaline HPOP med-oil, superduty rear springs, 91 D60, 6.0 trans cooler, need 100hp more... 01 excursion 7.3 4x4
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior User

That ring is why it wouldn't go in. It is a VERY tight fit.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

Did you make a press out of threaded rod to push it in or how did you install it?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
Did you make a press out of threaded rod to push it in or how did you install it?
I used the old seal and a piece of 1" conduit and stuck it in from the opposite axle tube and tapped it in to get it started. Once it was started I used a small hammer and tapped it in. Once you grind that lip off, you have to be careful not to drive the center section out of the seal.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

You make it sound so easy. LOL
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior User

It's really not that hard. I have to change them in my Jeep about every 3 months. I guess it is from the axle deflection when it bounces off rocks.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
52148, 60, dana, diameter, driver, leak, leaking, oil, outer, seal, seals, side, spicer, stop, tacoma