Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Gary Lewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up Not Too Windy To Paint......lol.....

Okay, i couldnt wait any longer and had to practice laying some Summit Racing paint. I set up my pop up canopy and tied some blanket walls to it and primed and painted my tailgate. This is my first attempt at automotive painting. Putting the primer down was easy enough. Man, the imperfections in the sanding really show through after primer is applied. It's not perfect but not bad for a first attempt. It's not a show truck, just my daily driver. I figure I'll paint the truck in sections to get more practice as i go along. I only painted the outside and sides.The back of the tailgate will be Herculined this week.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

The weather forecast this week looks great for some auto work. Hope everyone else is able to get out and work on their projects too.

Previously Owned; 1978 F150, 2000 Ford F150, and a 1950 Ford F1
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Posting Guru

jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
looks good, after roughing in the major body work it may take a couple coats of primer/surfacer and a block sanding to get the inferfections out. Are you using a single stage or base/clear paint system.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm using single stage paint. Yer right, i'll have to do some sanding after spraying the primer for the smoothest finish. Next up is all the hail dings in the hood. And the cowl area looks like galvanized metal. I'm hoping the primer will stick to that ok.

Previously Owned; 1978 F150, 2000 Ford F150, and a 1950 Ford F1
Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Posting Guru

jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
defiantly need to block sand the primer before laying down paint. I will block with 100-150 grit first then shoot anther coat of primer, a coat may consist of 3-5 wet coats, then block with 220, then 320 then a final wet sanding with 400. you can use a spray can of black paint, spray the panel just lightly enough to give give it a dusting, it will help you see the low areas and get the panel strait.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM