Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
header of exhaust manifold

my Gibson header gaskets are leaking causing my motor to have a tick, so i have to buy ARP stainless header studs some time this week and new gaskets. Gaskets are 20 bucks, new studs are 160 bucks.... so my question is do i reuse my gibson headers that cant be torqued to spec because the pipes are in the way and you can ONLY use a box wrench OR install my original exhaust manifolds that only have 21k on them and are level and not worped that CAN be torqued to the proper 35ftlbs? I just dont want to rip it all apart again in five years and do this all over again?

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Are you sure you can't torque them with a crows foot or swivel extension?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I never torqued header bolts/studs on a any truck I had. I tightened them all by hand on every truck I have. The OE manifolds for the 2Vs are garbage I wouldn't go back to them for any reason.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Senior User

Gastic3514 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use dead soft copper exhaust manifold gaskets. A few companies make them. (hopefully for the Mod Ford motors too). I have been using them on my race car for several years, 0-problems. They were recommended to me by a racer / engine builder buddy.

They WILL NOT blow out.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Have had a few different headers and gaskets on a few different vehicles.

Number one thing to do is TIGHTEN and TIGHTEN those header bolts. The gaskets crush over time, and in the first few months of service, the bolts need to be retightened every change you get.

I do it just about every other cold-warm-cold cycle for the two weeks, and then check them for the next few months. And then again, every oil change.

I always find they get somewhat loose for the first 6 months to a year and then they're good.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
when i installed them five years ago i checked them once a week, eventually they got tight and stayed that way. Then i checked them monthly ans so on, then ever once in a while. For some reason one blew i think cuz i have a tick now and i checke everything else, i have all my factory nuts still and studs and even though they are a little rusty they are all still there and tight! Guess ill just have to replace the gasket and studs and SEE if the tick goes away

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Just make sure one of the welds or tubes on the headers did't crack. Its not common on a good set of headers but it can happen.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
dkf is right, check for cracks...

And, is the tick only when you step on the gas, or all the time?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Post Fiend

actually its very odd tick, weather has been crazy lately here in NJ some days it goes to 80 degrees and other its about 50 degrees. Anyway it does it at idle almost all the time and when i drive down the street i cant hear it at all. Some days it does it right away when i start the truck and other days it doesnt do it untill the truck is fully warmed up?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Post Fiend

when i checked the studs the other day i looked around the header tubes and i didnt see any cracks or soot blowby anywhere, but where the pipe is bent up to the flange there is alot of rust on the stainless? It could be rotted through but Gibson headers are suppose to be good quality stainless so....

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Post Fiend

Your Gibsons are probably 409 stainless which will rust but is rust resistant.

When my headers were put on there was a slight tick that you only really heard at idle. I tracked it down to a crack in the gasket on a corner of the header. Turns out the tech creased the gasket during install and caused the slight leak. Replaced the gasket and it fixed the problem. Some gaskets are pretty fragile and it can be hard to install them in tight places without damage.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Post Fiend

thanks DKF

Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM