1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 f1 front fender height

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
train2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 f1 front fender height

Hi I need your help.my front fenders measure different heights 27 1/4. Drivers side 29 passenger side fiberglass fenders measured from level ground to opening of fender.spring height is the same both sides the truck sits low in front to drivers side It has always been this way changed cab mounts came up a little.noticed suspension arm drivers side needs replacing.Is there any way to adjust front end to level fender height in front any input would be great thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by train2
Hi I need your help.my front fenders measure different heights 27 1/4. Drivers side 29 passenger side fiberglass fenders measured from level ground to opening of fender.spring height is the same both sides the truck sits low in front to drivers side It has always been this way changed cab mounts came up a little.noticed suspension arm drivers side needs replacing.Is there any way to adjust front end to level fender height in front any input would be great thanks
I guess the answer depends upon your point of measure. To me the most obvious check would be for the fender brace 16272 (see attached diagram). Are they in good shape? Do you have one missing?

Also on my truck the mounting holes where that brace bolts into the radiator mount (16138) are slotted . . . but I don't believe they are slotted enough to make up a 1 3/4" difference.

The other check is to make sure that you have the same type fenders. I think all the fiberglass fenders are F-1s so that probably is not the problem but it is worth mentioning.

Pictures would help.

Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
train2
Junior User
Thanks is there a left and right fender brace? I have noticed the passenger side is the same as drivers.I tried to adjust height by removing passenger brace took off completely and put pressure down on fender to make up space, gained 1 in but everything was off.It did not change the fact of tire to fender clearance, thanks for your help

Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Thanks is there a left and right fender brace? I have noticed the passenger side is the same as drivers.I tried to adjust height by removing passenger brace took off completely and put pressure down on fender to make up space, gained 1 in but everything was off.It did not change the fact of tire to fender clearance, thanks for your help
No it is the same brace L & R. On each side you should check the angle formed by the top of the brace and the side that bolts to the radiator support. Then measure the distance between the center of the bolt holding the brace to the fender and the bottom of the brace. If one was bent it would show a difference. They are pretty stout brackets but they are susceptible to damage from even a slight impact to the outside of the fender like backing out of a garage.

I took mine off and had them sand blasted and had one of the outside holes reinforced by welding on a thick washer. Then I double coated both with gloss black Rustoleum. POR might be more permanent if you plan on driving your truck a lot. When I put the braces back on I used SS bolts. If you do that don't forget to use anti-seize paste on the SS bolt threads or they will gall the threads in the radiator mounting bracket. While those fender brackets come off easily, putting them back on is not the easy. As usual with sheet metal get all the bolts started before tightening any.

Good luck,

Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I would try to measure the fenders at some key points and compare L to R. It really does sound like you have two different types.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
train2
Junior User
fender height

Thanks Pete the braces are the same for both sides I just need to take them off and measure the holes.I measured with a 4 ft level the lines on the fenders above wheelwells both are the same I need to measure somewhere else thanks again, steve

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Thanks Pete the braces are the same for both sides I just need to take them off and measure the holes.I measured with a 4 ft level the lines on the fenders above wheelwells both are the same I need to measure somewhere else thanks again, steve
Steve,
A string may be easier and quicker to use. You are just looking for something different.

Here are a couple basic dimensional charts that may help. If you have trouble reading them PM me with your email address and I'll send you the full sized body dimension file.

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM
train2
Junior User
fender height

Thanks Pete this is great, I now have something to work off of.Here is my email I would like to print out a larger version, thanks for your help I will work on measurements this weekend, scalabro4@optimum.net

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM
train2
Junior User
48 f1 fender height

Hey started measurements on frame so far nothing out too far.Measuring tires turned in off frame where pass side tire hits frame when turned all the way to the right.I get different numbers both sides, 18" fully turned right, drivers side full turned left 16 3/4"pass side front of tire off frameturned right 20 1/2" drivers side fully turned left in front of tire17 " Measured suspension no load tires off measured from level floor to wheel hub drivers side13 1/4" pass side12 1/2" what could be giving me all different measurements?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Hey started measurements on frame so far nothing out too far.Measuring tires turned in off frame where pass side tire hits frame when turned all the way to the right.I get different numbers both sides, 18" fully turned right, drivers side full turned left 16 3/4"pass side front of tire off frameturned right 20 1/2" drivers side fully turned left in front of tire17 " Measured suspension no load tires off measured from level floor to wheel hub drivers side13 1/4" pass side12 1/2" what could be giving me all different measurements?
Pictures would help a lot.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
train2
Junior User
48 f1 fender height

Yes,how do I go about doing that?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Yes,how do I go about doing that?
The easiest way is to add the pictures as attachments to a post. In the "Go Advanced" screen click on the paper clip icon. Here are the instructions from Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
many things can give you different measurements. The thing that you need to remember is you have 4 point of contact with the ground, and they are not at the end of you frame. So you need to always take 4 measurements unless you isolate a factor to make it/them a constant. where are you taking measurements to? take the base line measurement (use painters tape to mark where all you measurements are to be taken from). I would find 4 jack stands that I could set at the same height put one under the each corner of the frame at the ends. Start by measuring the frame corners, then measure the body points to see if the are the same (or the same percentage per end). That will tell you what yo look at to see what is out of Wack. Let me know if this doesn't make sense or not...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
train2
Junior User
48 f1 fender height

thanks makes sense for a solid starting point,I will keep on measuring