Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
New User

edhannan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel in oil

I've got an '08 6.4 ltr diesel with 55,000 miles. We use it to tow a 5th wheel and around town. The last oil sample I sent in had 4% fuel in the oil. I was over on the miles since my last change due to health issues. And it had been almost a year since the last change. The previous samples were 3%. The dealer said to change the oil at 3000 miles to get the fuel % down.

My question here is can I make this problem(fuel in oil) go away by eliminating the DPF and adding a tuner. I've never had to add oil between changes since I bought the truck new. Thanks

Ed Hannan
Meraux, LA.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Postmaster

slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
thats the only way your gonna solve the problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Ronin 5729 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
that's the only way your gonna solve the problem.
^^^ This...what he said! Your fuel dilution will drop to between 0-trace with a delete.
'10 F250 CC/SB FX4 530 HP/1047 Torque (Gearhead Street Tune), lowered/LEVELED, aFe Stage II Si intake, Spartan CAC pipe, powerstroker67 DPF-delete & ceramic coated downpipe, MBRP Cool Duals, AMSOIL oil bypass, DieselSite coolant bypass, PowerStroke Connection CCV kit, Fumoto oil drain valve, PAC Navigation Unlock Interface, Edge CTS, Boston Acoustic SE85s (front & rear), Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12-inch sub with Kenwood KAC-9105C amp, Retro-Solutions 55W Digital 6K HID Headlights & 3K Fog Lights
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Yep, I deleted and changed the oil. 5000 miles later I changed the oil and sent in a sample. I got back the best analysis ever. 0% dilution. That will do it.

I also had a system going before I deleted that worked pretty well. Installed a fumoto valve on the oil pan. Changed the oil at 5000 miles. Every 1000 miles between changes I jumped under and drained the oil down to 1 quart low. Then added a quart of new oil. Worked well in reducing oil dilution but it is a bit of work.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Posting Guru

SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.
some may say they don't have a problem without delete ........ but I'm very confident along with the guys above me that the DPF delete is the ONLY way to fix the fuel in oil issue period no further discussion needed!!! Anything other is a bandade not a fix to the problem which is said but we can thank the EPA for that.
08 F350 CC FX4, 6.4 PSD,PMF 4.5" LIFT WITH TRACTION BARS,4.30 REAR,NAV,DASH DAQ,VOLANT INTAKE,SPEARCO INTERCOOLER,STAGE III WATER/METH,67 GAL TITAN TANK,EGR DELETE,ARP HEAD STUDS,72MM LP BILLET TURBO,RCD CONVERTER,FS-2500 BYPASS FILTER, AIR DOG II FUEL PUMP,CUSTOM CCV,MAG-HYTEC TRANS PAN AND DIFF COVER, CUSTOM HD TRANS COOLER, SEIC MOD,AMP STEPS
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I don't have a problem with the DPF. My regens are far apart on I don't grow oil because of my driving needs.

Having said that if it becomes a problem I would delete immediately.

Personally I would go with something like DPF-R. I don't want big HP gains.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
Yep, I deleted and changed the oil. 5000 miles later I changed the oil and sent in a sample. I got back the best analysis ever. 0% dilution. That will do it.

I also had a system going before I deleted that worked pretty well. Installed a fumoto valve on the oil pan. Changed the oil at 5000 miles. Every 1000 miles between changes I jumped under and drained the oil down to 1 quart low. Then added a quart of new oil. Worked well in reducing oil dilution but it is a bit of work.
did you go with a tuner as well as the delete?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I don't have a problem with the DPF. My regens are far apart on I don't grow oil because of my driving needs.

Having said that if it becomes a problem I would delete immediately.

Personally I would go with something like DPF-R. I don't want big HP gains.
DPF-R? Kinda new to this forum, please be patient thanks

Ed
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhannan View Post
did you go with a tuner as well as the delete?
You can read a lot on this subject in this forum. But for a quckie: to delete you must have a pipe to replace the space in the exhaust presently being filled by the DPF. You may or may not need a pipe with sensors depending on which tuner you buy. you must also have a device that changes the computer programming so that the truck does not go into regen. The tuner may or may not also increase truck horse power and torque. Go to the forum and look up DPF-R, Spartan, Edge, H&S, for starters. You can also go to Ebay and under auto/parts/ enter DPF delete. Invest a few hours in research and you will have a much better understanding of the way the DPF works and how your truck works. And, remember, removing the DPF is a federal crime so if you do it do it fully informed. Hope this helps.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Elder User

Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMO, the deleting the DPF will solve part of the problem, not the silver bullet. I have not deleted and the last report, was less than .2%, not 2%. Yes, my habits are 16 miles one way to work each day with 4 miles slow and the last 12 at 65 and I do pull at least every other weekend. I believe that the main culprit is city driving, and idling on these engines. On initial startup, even if its 90 degrees at 6:00 in the morning, we are shooting a lot of fuel in all chambers and it is not completely burning, same with idling, a lot of fuel pumped in and seeping by unspent. Reason I say this is my experience and then supported by my close neighbor who is owner of a 40 year old transmission shop here and has an 08 SD 6.4l. He deleted 18 months ago, he has kept some really good records. Even with his delete his last report was over 2% nearly 3, and the difference was a lot of idling and city driving with towing in city traffic. I do believe in the delete just from a standpoint that it takes out restrictions in the exhaust, that is pure physics, but getting into the oil has to be blowby around the rings and not just on 2 cylinders, to get the dilution that has been posted in the past. Don't get me wrong, once MY warranty is up in 21k, I will be deleting, then I will experience it and may change my mind about the dilution.
2011 F-250 Lariat Stock
2003 Keystone Cougar 286 EFS 5er
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Understanding how fuel gets in the oil...to expand upon Geartis and Stanleys great explainations.

The rings on this motor are purposefully loose from the factory. The top ring is a keystone ring. It is designed to expand with heat to create the seal.

Designed this way because of the heavy boost this motor produces. With boost comes heat and alot of it.

That is why even with the DPF you can still have very little to no fuel in the oil.

Idleing DPF on or off is unnecessary and wastes fuel. The motor will get cold just sitting there and then the seal is broken around the rings and you get fuel in the oil.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2008, 64, 64l, delete, deleted, diesel, dilution, dpf, f350, fuel, oil, truck