Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Great Camp Grounds in "Iowa"???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Camp Grounds in "Iowa"???

Trying to support our local Iowan economy. Are there any really good camp grounds in "Iowa"? We live over in DBQ and I hear of all the great places to go in WI, but I would like to support Iowa camping if possible.

List some that you have tried. If you want to keep the good ones quiet then PM me instead. LOL

Hookups and showers are nice, but not necessary as we have a mounted generator.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear Saylorville Lake over by Des Moines is good, maybe Red Rock in southern Iowa and Macbride here in Eastern Iowa. Spirit Lake in the NW corner is another. There is a campground off of the Missouri out by Missouri Valley as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
For those wanting to camp in Iowa: Here are some links to find out more about the campgrounds.

Here is DNR's site on rules, fees, etc: Camping & Facility Rentals

Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - Iowa State Parks

Iowa Campground Reviews

Here is a list of some privately owned parks:
Iowa RV Parks & Campgrounds - Camping in Iowa - RV Clubs

Iowa Campsite, RV Park & Campground Search

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Some pretty handy links there. I can say that the Amana park is a nice park, but as far as activities other than the Amanas real local, not much. Sure, there is things in the area, but the campground itself is basically a field with facilities right next to the Amanas. Now if that is what you want, it is perfect. Twin Anchors at Colo is about the same story.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by fellro86
Some pretty handy links there. I can say that the Amana park is a nice park, but as far as activities other than the Amanas real local, not much. Sure, there is things in the area, but the campground itself is basically a field with facilities right next to the Amanas. Now if that is what you want, it is perfect. Twin Anchors at Colo is about the same story.
Can you say "tourist trap". Not really interested in that type of camping. We like to get away instead. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of campgrounds here in Iowa and have several that I hope to check out later this summer when we get back from the West coast.

Still looking for suggestions though.... Nobody else camps in Iowa or are you just not sharing your hotspots? Don't make us beat it out of you.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Agreed. The locations I mention initially are more about something of their own to do, nature type activities. I don't have a camper at this time, so can't advise too well, just going off of memory locations I have seen in actual recreation areas. Can't vouch for how well they are run.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM
FDCCHIEF
New User
I have had great camping in Yellow River State Forest up in Alamakee County. It's just gorgeous up there! Trout fishing, hike-in campsites, deer up the wazoo-I go every year. My kids are just old enough no to where they can enjoy it a bit. There's also Effigy Mounds to look at if you're into Indian ruins. MMmmm oh yeah and Cabela's in Prarie Du Chien!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by FDCCHIEF
I have had great camping in Yellow River State Forest up in Alamakee County. It's just gorgeous up there! Trout fishing, hike-in campsites, deer up the wazoo-I go every year. My kids are just old enough no to where they can enjoy it a bit. There's also Effigy Mounds to look at if you're into Indian ruins. MMmmm oh yeah and Cabela's in Prarie Du Chien!
Great. Thanks. I have to go up to Waukon a couple times a month and have seen the campground signs along Hwy 76. I will have to check out that area. Looks like it is only 2 hrs north of me.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I'm a little late finding this thread, but Pine Lake State Park near Eldora is a good one.

I live near Red Rock, and it's pretty good too, but don't come during holidays or Pella Tulip time cause it's a zoo and the parks are packed!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
My father is from Independence and he used to camp at Backbone with his brothers.
I have personally camped at Lake McBride, very cool site!
Does anybody 4wheel at the Solon ORV?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Wasn't aware there was an ORV area nearby like that... I don't have anything to take out there anyway.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by fellro86
Wasn't aware there was an ORV area nearby like that... I don't have anything to take out there anyway.
No toys here either. I do have an old fiberglass shell dune buggy that is very capable, but it is a classic and I would hate to hurt it. Dad bought it in '72, so it is a keepsake. We just love to camp, hike and explore.

I have heard that there are some good spots to camp in upper NE Iowa. We may try some of those out if my work promotions don't move me.