Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
New User

livinjeep is starting off with a positive reputation.
livinjeep
wheel cylinder diameter 48 f6

Hey everyone, so I jus recently found out that my truck is an f6 from a reproduction owners manual I bought. Well, I lost the manual for now and one of my wheel cylinders gave out on me yesterday, I'm jus trying to figure out what the diameter of my wheel cylinders is so i can get rebuild parts for it on rockauto.com
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinjeep View Post
Hey everyone, so I jus recently found out that my truck is an f6 from a reproduction owners manual I bought. Well, I lost the manual for now and one of my wheel cylinders gave out on me yesterday, I'm jus trying to figure out what the diameter of my wheel cylinders is so i can get rebuild parts for it on rockauto.com
You didn't say if it was front or rear. I don't have a part number for rebuild kits but I will list the # for the wheel cylinders.
The front wheel cylinder is 1 3/8" # 92Y 2261. (same as the rear on an F3)
Jst Automotive, Lebanon, Tn has 2, CollectorsAutoSupply.com has several

The rear wheel cylinder is 1 1/2" #91T 2261
CollectorsAutoSupply.com has several, Wesley Obsolete Parts LIBERTY, KY has 1, Antique Auto Arlington Ford ARLINGTON, TX has 2.

Job Lots also has them. I bought 2 rears last year from Job Lots, they were $55 each. They also had the show linings.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
New User

livinjeep
I appreciate the sizes. I found this website rockauto.com, everything is super cheap. They have the rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders for like $8 and the whole wheel cylinder for $30
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinjeep View Post
I appreciate the sizes. I found this website rockauto.com, everything is super cheap. They have the rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders for like $8 and the whole wheel cylinder for $30
Are you sure they have the RIGHT kits and cylinders?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure if the F6 is the same, but the only brake related part RockAuto has for my 51 F4 is the master cylinder. None of the wheel cylinders and no rebuild kits.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Senior User

dmptrkr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hmm, interesting

My old Ford parts catalogs confirm the information Joe posted above, however:
  • The specifications section in the back of the Shop Manual shows the front wheel cylinders as 1-1/4 inch
  • The rebuild kits I bought from NAPA (by application) were 1-1/4 inch
  • I bought replacement wheel cylinders from joblotauto.com and I am fairly certain they were 1-1/4 inch although I don't recall that I actually measured them.

I remember my 50 F5 came with an 1-1/4 cylinder on the front right side and 1-3/8 on the left. My 48 had identical front cylinder castings but one was bored 1-1/4 and the other 1-3/8. I figured someone had bored it out to do a cheap rebuild, but maybe this confusion has been around for a number of years.

50 F-5 with 47 Heil dump box 2 1/2 yrd
48 F-5 with Gar "Wood" dump box 1 1/2 yrd
97 F-350 Powerstroke Dually flatbed sleeper cab
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
New User

livinjeep
Well from what I can tell the kit comes with a spring, two pistons, and two seals. They had a closeout sale on them for $4.25 a piece so i went ahead and bought one of each size since they were so cheap lol. I guess when they get here ill find out if theyre right.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior User

bmoran4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just replaced the two rear wheel cylinders on my 1952 F6 with these:

NAPA UP4511 Wheel Cylinder - Bore Size : 1 1/2",
Wheel Cylinder Line Thread Size : 1/2-20

I'm sure NAPA has a rebuild kit as well for them as well.

Oh, and don't be scared off that the computer doesn't list your 48 F6 as a compatible vehicle. Napa's computer database is very hit and miss on these old big trucks.

Last edited by bmoran4; 04-30-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: URL Friendly Name
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Please keep us posted. I'd love to know if they work.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
New User

livinjeep
It'll prolly be a week before they get here but keep you posted
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoran4 View Post
I just replaced the two rear wheel cylinders on my 1952 F6 with these:

NAPA UP4511 Wheel Cylinder - Bore Size : 1 1/2",
Wheel Cylinder Line Thread Size : 1/2-20

I'm sure NAPA has a rebuild kit as well for them as well.

Oh, and don't be scared off that the computer doesn't list your 48 F6 as a compatible vehicle. Napa's computer database is very hit and miss on these old big trucks.
For the most part, NAPA online database doesn't go bigger than the F3.

BTW, that looks like the same cylinders I got from JobLots.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM