Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Postmaster

Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.
Just going to use standard aluminized exhaust pipe, my welding isn't awesome and I can't afford stainless if I screw it up
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Posting Guru

Newenglandfordjunkie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Newenglandfordjunkie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking Good! Maybe I can get some ideas for when I finally start mine!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Post Fiend

Zookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo View Post
Just going to use standard aluminized exhaust pipe, my welding isn't awesome and I can't afford stainless if I screw it up
ya, function over fashion!

MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS
Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Postmaster

Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.Towmanjbo has a great reputation on FTE.
Whats up with the tags? 1977? or f250? wrong and wrong
Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Postmaster

So I worked on it a bit this past Sunday, I worked on running the battery cables and trying to keep them neat and out of the way. Almost done with them just have to make a new cable from the post to the starter.
Click the image to open in full size.

I started looking at the exhaust manifold and how I want to fab it. My first idea was to use the Walker pipe (part #WLK-45166) as a starting point and just weld a U onto it just past where the primaries merge, but I'm not so sure I like that now. I ordered some more pipe, that should be here for this weekend we'll see.
That's the Walker pipe in the truck temporarily.

When I had my F250 w/ the powerstroke I had installed the 6637 air cleaner, I took it out before I sold the truck and is now what I intend to put in this truck. A bit of overkill here but it's a proven air cleaner for the 7.3 so it should work fine here. I set it in the bay to figure out initial placement.
That and a quick pic of the new aluminum dual core radiator.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Postmaster

So I decided against using the walker pipe, I'll keep it in case this turbo idea falls through. I started with two 2" J mandrel bent pipes and the formed ends off the factory pipes.
That part was nerve racking. The only easy part was cutting the original pipes. I then mounted those to the truck and then by eye and many trial cut/fits I cut the J's and removed the ends and welded them. Then I mounted them into the truck and got the lined up and fitted to this cool merge I got. It merges two 2" pipes with a 2.5" exit.
Here the merge is tacked to the 2" primarys
Then I took it out and welded it up.
Then I welded a T3 mounting flange to some 2.5" pipe got it fitted up and welded to the header I've created
And here is the turbo just sitting in place, isn't it sexy?
I know that now it doesn't look like much but that took all day, cut here, grind there. Put it in the truck, will it work, no take it out, cut, grind, fit over and over but I think it'll be worth it
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
Awesome thread, many thanks Justin!
98 Ranger XLT S/cab
65/67 Mustang Fastbacks
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Postmaster

Thanks!

So do I put the o2 sensor and/or the EGT probe before or after the turbo?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Post Fiend

Zookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to beholdZookie400 is a splendid one to behold
i would say EGT before, and o2 at the outlet of turbo.

its like it was meant to be put in that engine bay!

MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Postmaster

okay, cool thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
New User

rollincoal90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
very nice and have fun
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Postmaster

Disappointing amount of progress this weekend I drained the oil Fri night when I came home hoping Sat would be a really productive day. After running a few errands I got to work. I took the studs out of the exhaust manifolds to replace them with new ones only to break the first one off installing it. That was a PIA to get out and ended up taking several hours of cussing at myself and the ez-outs which are never easy. And banging my elbow pretty good in the process. But by sundown I did get the header in, which during the week I welded the EGT bung onto and painted & cured in the oven.

Sunday being Mother's Day I didn't have much time to work but I cut a mounting boss off the turbo compressor so I could rotate it to the position I wanted. I also started to take the oil pan off before I ran out of time

Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Skipper of the KY Chapter

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
Looks nice!

19.31 E/T @ 68.78mph in a 1/4 mile
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior User

kas83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same issue with studs on my 92. Old ones came out pretty, broke a new one on install tho.

Any chance you could weld up another header like that? I've got an HY35 I'd love to try on my truck, but no welder lol.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Postmaster

I think with the shipping costs you'd be better off at a local exhaust or welding shop. I used the factory pipes, a pair of mandrel bent J's, and a turbo flange. All of which I no longer have so you'd have to ship them to me so I could cut and weld them, besides I don't really have the time. Let alone I'd have to take mine off to fit yours and I need to get my truck back on the road. And I haven't even started the downpipe yet. Sorry, bud
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM