1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
So I worked on it a bit this past Sunday, I worked on running the battery cables and trying to keep them neat and out of the way. Almost done with them just have to make a new cable from the post to the starter.
I started looking at the exhaust manifold and how I want to fab it. My first idea was to use the Walker pipe (part #WLK-45166) as a starting point and just weld a U onto it just past where the primaries merge, but I'm not so sure I like that now. I ordered some more pipe, that should be here for this weekend we'll see.
That's the Walker pipe in the truck temporarily.
When I had my F250 w/ the powerstroke I had installed the 6637 air cleaner, I took it out before I sold the truck and is now what I intend to put in this truck. A bit of overkill here but it's a proven air cleaner for the 7.3 so it should work fine here. I set it in the bay to figure out initial placement.
That and a quick pic of the new aluminum dual core radiator.
So I decided against using the walker pipe, I'll keep it in case this turbo idea falls through. I started with two 2" J mandrel bent pipes and the formed ends off the factory pipes.
That part was nerve racking. The only easy part was cutting the original pipes. I then mounted those to the truck and then by eye and many trial cut/fits I cut the J's and removed the ends and welded them. Then I mounted them into the truck and got the lined up and fitted to this cool merge I got. It merges two 2" pipes with a 2.5" exit.
Here the merge is tacked to the 2" primarys
Then I took it out and welded it up.
Then I welded a T3 mounting flange to some 2.5" pipe got it fitted up and welded to the header I've created
And here is the turbo just sitting in place, isn't it sexy?
I know that now it doesn't look like much but that took all day, cut here, grind there. Put it in the truck, will it work, no take it out, cut, grind, fit over and over but I think it'll be worth it
Disappointing amount of progress this weekend I drained the oil Fri night when I came home hoping Sat would be a really productive day. After running a few errands I got to work. I took the studs out of the exhaust manifolds to replace them with new ones only to break the first one off installing it. That was a PIA to get out and ended up taking several hours of cussing at myself and the ez-outs which are never easy. And banging my elbow pretty good in the process. But by sundown I did get the header in, which during the week I welded the EGT bung onto and painted & cured in the oven.
Sunday being Mother's Day I didn't have much time to work but I cut a mounting boss off the turbo compressor so I could rotate it to the position I wanted. I also started to take the oil pan off before I ran out of time
I think with the shipping costs you'd be better off at a local exhaust or welding shop. I used the factory pipes, a pair of mandrel bent J's, and a turbo flange. All of which I no longer have so you'd have to ship them to me so I could cut and weld them, besides I don't really have the time. Let alone I'd have to take mine off to fit yours and I need to get my truck back on the road. And I haven't even started the downpipe yet. Sorry, bud
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.