1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Springs and alignment are done. Finish pics on page 6

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
They are for sure a beefy pack of springs. On first observation, looks like I can use the new shackles on the rears too.

I think they will look ok on mine Bill, sorry.

Evan, I'll be sure to let you all know measurements compared to stock when I get done.

Ya Mike, more and more towards a completed tow rig. On the list yet is the transmission, 3.73 gears, and finish the on board air. Then, someday, maybe even more power..

Hey Pete, how long after you installed the new springs did you wait before getting an alignment? I assume I should give them a little time to settle before I get one.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will see some serious camber once you get it all done. So getting it aligned will probably be necessary. The springs are going to take a while to settle. Then after a year or so depending how many miles you put on it get it realigned if need be. Re-torque your u bolts after 100 miles or so and every six months or so after that.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Thanks Jon, no big deal, I understand now. Got them all today. The rears are 10 leaf with another overload on top of them. So 11 total. First I will put the front together and have it done, then I'm gonna try the rears as is and see what it looks like.

Thanks Pete, I'll leave mine out also.

Here is a picture of my new parts..

May be Saturday now before I get to it again.
Hope you have some help lifting those rear spings. Must be 150lbs of steel in each one.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I would be very interested in using rear springs like that if I could get the correct ride height in the rear without blocks... Not sure if it would be tall enough though.

With the stock F350 4" blocks in the rear and stock rear springs it still sits an inch lower in the back with the 3" RSK in front with stock springs.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
I think you will see some serious camber once you get it all done. So getting it aligned will probably be necessary. The springs are going to take a while to settle. Then after a year or so depending how many miles you put on it get it realigned if need be. Re-torque your u bolts after 100 miles or so and every six months or so after that.
Thanks Pete. I'll get it aligned right away.

Jim, I do have help lined up. I don't want to have dad help me, he's 66 now and doesn't need to bust his a$$ helping me. Heck, I'm 39 and not real excited about lifting them in there. I got a buddy or even two if needed lined up to help. You are right, 148 lbs each.

Evan, I'll let you know how it works. If it isn't high enough for your setup, you could use the 2 inch block in the rear with them. I don't know if you're really gonna want them, I'm sure its not gonna ride real good unloaded. I'll of course let you know on that also.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Thanks Pete. I'll get it aligned right away.

Jim, I do have help lined up. I don't want to have dad help me, he's 66 now and doesn't need to bust his a$$ helping me. Heck, I'm 39 and not real excited about lifting them in there. I got a buddy or even two if needed lined up to help. You are right, 148 lbs each.

Evan, I'll let you know how it works. If it isn't high enough for your setup, you could use the 2 inch block in the rear with them. I don't know if you're really gonna want them, I'm sure its not gonna ride real good unloaded. I'll of course let you know on that also.
We're the same age. I originally put. 200 for each but thought that was too much

Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Minor problem, if I want to use the new shackles that came with the springs, I need to put 550 rear mounts on the truck. The shackle and bushing is quite a bit bigger than the stock one. I need to decide whether to spend 150 bucks on new rear hangers and bolts, or just use my shackle and get a new bushing for each one.

I'm thinking of getting mounts. The rear mount is actually 5/8 inch too far back now according to spring dimensions. If I get new ones I could move them accordingly, not that its a big deal with the shackle there.

Thoughts? What would you do?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Bushings... I would think you'd overload the tires and axle before the shackles came into play. Also, with the size of those rivets, I don't know how good it would be to drill holes 5/8" away. Just my $.02.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Do you need to drill new frame holes? Do the new mounts use the existing holes? If they use existing holes that would be the way to go.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
If it were me I'd just stick new bushings in and use the old shackles... I agree that you might create a weakness drilling new holes in the frame so close to the old ones.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I thought about drilling too close. Don't like that idea. Here's the specs.

550 holes are 6.25 center to center on top, 5.688 center to center on bottom holes.
mine are 5.25 apart top and bottom.

550 holes are 3.125 center to center from top to bottom
mine are 3.3125 apart, so 3/16 different.

All in all they are all fairly close, but need holes drilled to work for sure as you can see. I'd really like to use the new shackles, they're new you know (mine aren't bad, but are 15 years old), and like I said the bushing is twice as big. I'm starting to lean towards just bushing the old ones now with the holes in the new ones kind of in a bad place in comparison with the old ones.

Top holes I could deal with, I could use the original rear top hole and drill a new front one being an inch wider I'd get away with that. The bottom, however, are going to be running into the other holes partially. At least the back one will, probably both.

Ideas? I'd sure like to use them new shackles. Maybe I should just spend that money on new original shackles. That's probably the way to go. I'm talking to myself and typing at the same time so bear with me....

Old 05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Alright, new stock shackles are about 35 bucks apiece, I think that is probably the best ( I know easiest for sure ) way to go. I'm gonna try to get the front done tomorrow morning, then take a final look at the rear before ordering more parts..

Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Thats what I would do Darin. Changing those brackets would certainly open another can of worms. See how they fit up and go from there. That 5/8 of an inch has me a little concerned.

If you haven't pulled the rears yet watch out for the brake line that goes up from the rear end to the frame. Tends to get stretched and could tear if your not careful.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Ya, I'm almost positive that is what I will do Pete. Rears are out already. I'm not worried about the rear shackle I guess, it should rotate ahead that little amount and not be a problem.

Hopefully more progress pictures tomorrow. Thanks everybody.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very Interested in how your front end will look when you get the new springs in I am Interested in seeing what you do to correct the camber because last year I had a add a leaf installed and all new shackles when it was done it lifted my front end 2" they had trouble getting the camber back in speck and never did but after driving for a couple months things settled in and seem to be ok now.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Quick Reply: Springs and alignment are done. Finish pics on page 6