General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Do you have a favorite Barber or Barber shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Do you have a favorite Barber or Barber shop?

I've been getting my hair cur by the same Korean woman for the last 20 years. She cuts it perfect for me everytime.

On occasion she isn't available but I still need a haircut. Yesterday I stopped at a different shop and had a haircut by a woman who has cut my hair before. She did a good job but it isn't the same. My wife even asked, did Sookie cut your hair?

Sookie is kind of funny and a bit possessive. In 4-5 weeks when I go and have it cut again, she'll know. So I'll stroke her ego a bit and it'll all be better.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yup. I am my favorite barber,and I work for cheap also!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by cjben
yup. I am my favorite barber,and I work for cheap also!!
I`m with ya Ben.
I buzz it myself!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My barber is the archtypical Italian barber from NY......

He moved (retired) down here a few years ago, and as a bonus, moved into the area I patrol. Bought a nice spread and made a 1-chair detached barber shop right at his home.......He's pretty much retired, but has a regular 'word-of-mouth' clientele including several other officers. Can't beat the price ($10)......

And he's a barber, GD.....Not a 'hair stylist'......

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My wife has cut my hair for the past 12yrs, ex wife cut it when we were married. Only been to a barber inbetween them LOL.

This is appropriate here

Ray Stevens - The Haircut Song - YouTube

Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I go to an old fashioned barber.. In fact he is the fourth generation of the family that has cut my hair since the first one..

I just walk in and sit down.. Never have to tell him how to cut it

Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use an old fashioned barber. i would let my wife cut my hair, but she is not at all interested. Never been in the military, but I have liked the look of a flattop for the past 20 years (probably in homage to my shop teachers when I was in school in the 70's).
Anyway, I live in a small town. My barber is a retired member of the local volunteer fire company. When I get my hair cut, I get all the info on what is happening in town. In fact, about 10 years ago my barber had rotator cuff surgery and was out of work for about 6 months. I went to another local establishment (not as well connected to the community) and at the time of my final haircut with them, she asked if I'd stay with them once my barber came back online. I told her "no way!" It took ten years of patronage at my original barber until the locals quit going silent when I walked in (because I was, at the time, new to the area).
Now I am a bona-fide "local", and am privy to all the juicy goings-on in our community, which is handy info for me to know as a high school teacher.
At $11.00 a pop every 4-6 weeks, I find it money well spent.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Great story, my only pre-requisite is this pole. Luckily now they not barber/surgeons.

Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
danorules
Postmaster
I go to an old Italian guy, real old school barber shop. A guys club, with playboys right out on the counter. And the cut is right every time

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I go where ever the girls are young, wear low cut tops, talk a mile-a-minute, chomp Bubblicious like its life saving----and do a good job too..........

Its been a while since I've had a trim as you might suspect!

In reality though I stumbled across an old school barber, $8 for the entire deal but have to say its absolutely one of the best I've ever had. He's bringing along a younger partner, rents part of his building to a "stylist" mostly for the ladies so he's a one stop shop.

Sadly he's about 30 miles from me but $8 and a good job too!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been buzzing myself for about 16 years now. Early on, I went through several clippers (was still money ahead), until about 10 years ago, my wife asked her maid of honor (a hair stylist) what clippers to get and how to get them to last. So I went from burning up $30 clippers every couple years to a $45 set that has lasted 10 years and is still going strong. My boys (10 and 12) have never been to a barber.

Jason

Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a barber. There's a barber here in town I've gone to - he's a helluva good barber, but a bit of a nutcase - conversations get interesting around him...

I've been to barbers, stylists, and I've done my own. My hairstyle changes on a whim depending on my overall mood and feeling. Over the years from growing up until now, I've had short hair; long hair; a mullet (not by choice - my mom thought it would look better in a high school yearbook than the long mane I had been sporting); hair down to my butt (I could do a really good Cousin Itt impression); a Marine Corps "High & Tight"; a mohawk; and, I've had my head shaved by a skinhead once (to get rid of a really bad "barracks cut"). Not necessarily in that order...

I've been buzzing my hair down to 3/8" for years, but sometime around a year ago, after a good family friend passed away, I decided to let it grow back out again. It's back to being shoulder length now and I keep it tied back in a ponytail. My facial hair is a trimmed circle beard that comes down into a 2.5" long goatee (I'm letting the goatee grow out also). My hairline has receded a bit since the last time I let it grow out so, it's not as "full" as before LOL...

Eventually, I'll get tired of it and chop it back off. It's just hair - as long as it keeps growing out of my head, I might as well find something to do with it...

I had thought of doing another mohawk, but I talked myself out of it - too much work to keep it maintained...

I'm not one for keeping the same "look" from childhood to the grave - I've never understood how people can do it... It would drive me nuts... I'm also not much into looking like everyone else around me... LOL...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've been through a few of them over the years. I always look for the barber pole outside. Won't go to a stylist type joint. Been using the same one now for several years and will continue to do so until he retires. Then I'll call and give him a hard time for retiring.

The place I go to is a one man shop. There's always 2 or 3 guys sitting in the waiting chairs when I show up but they're just there to shoot the breeze, not for a haircut. (If it were women it would be called gossip) A 5 to 10 min. haircut usually takes 45 min to an hour to get out just so you have time to catch up with everyone and listen to stories.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This month makes 37 years at the same shop. Alex founded the shop back in the early 60's and cut my hair until he retired in 1997. He had a small setup (1 chair ) at his place in the country and after he retired I would go down there and he would cut it for me. He was a great guy and had wisdom that a headstrong young man like myself needed to hear from time to time. He had sold the shop to one of the guys that worked for him and now that guy cuts my hair as he has been doing for the past 15 years. Ironically he grew up just a few houses down the street from me and I knew him as a kid. It's a regular barber shop - nothing fancy. Can't imagine having to go anywhere else.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
There's a really nice lady from the Philippines that cuts my hair.
She retired from cutting hair at the Pentagon, several years ago, and opened her own shop.

Great hands!!

I get a 'high and tight' flattop and she shaves w/ two differnt razors, then messages my head/neck for 5 minutes!!
Heaven, I tell ya. Heaven.

Quick Reply: Do you have a favorite Barber or Barber shop?