Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior User

jonf is starting off with a positive reputation.
steering wheel adapter?

What adapter do I need to put after market steering wheel on my 52 F1?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Senior User

1951flatheaddave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Grant Products 4257 - Grant Steering Wheel Installation Kits Fits 49-57 F series trucks

Its going to fit like crap though. I just installed this and my stock steering column is like 1.5" diameter tube and this is made for about a 4" diameter tube. Looks kind of dumb, I may take the black trim rin g back off and just leave the aluminum adapter exposed and paint it black. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
I saw a thread awhile back where somebody installed a newer center piece in an original wheel, I wonder if you could reverse that. Put an original wheel hub on a newer hub? I would like to use my original wheel on my Bronco II steering column. It's not time for me to mess with it now, but thats my thoughts.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I think I read that Speedway has steering wheel adapter for Ford splined column.
Flatheaddave, did you leave the top bell on your column?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Senior User

1951flatheaddave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I left my column original except just disconnected the column shift linkage. I'm not sure what you mean by bell, maybe it was missing when I bought the truck.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Elder User

needhelp49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i cut my old nasty steering wheel apart then welded the center to the inside of my grant wheel
2010 cadillac srx
2001 ranger retta
2007 f150 work truck
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951flatheaddave View Post
I left my column original except just disconnected the column shift linkage. I'm not sure what you mean by bell, maybe it was missing when I bought the truck.
On my column there was a bell or bowl like piece on the top of the column behind the steering wheel ~ 3.5-4" in diameter. If yours doesn't have it, you could always make one from the right size bowl or pot. See my "MDD" gallery for a cover I made for my AC/heater firewall connections out of a pet dish.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
On my column there was a bell or bowl like piece on the top of the column behind the steering wheel ~ 3.5-4" in diameter. If yours doesn't have it, you could always make one from the right size bowl or pot. See my "MDD" gallery for a cover I made for my AC/heater firewall connections out of a pet dish.
The bonus builts don't have the bell you're talking about that the mid-fifties have. The column tube is straight and the steering wheel has a flare on the underside that covers the end.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Jon,
Our original wheel was more duct tape than anything else but we wanted the "1950" look. We found this after market wheel on line - It's patterned after a late 40's Ford. (Kind of pricey but nice).

Ben in Austin
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
The bonus builts don't have the bell you're talking about that the mid-fifties have. The column tube is straight and the steering wheel has a flare on the underside that covers the end.
Ok, that answers the difference. I think all the adapters are for columns with a bell. You may be able to find someone with a spare mid fifties column housing with the bell that you might be able to adapt to your column or I'd take the measurements of your column diameter and the adapter diameter to the DIY store, housewares store, dollar store, thrift store, etc. and look at bowl and/or cup shaped objects that might be modified to make a transition from the column to the adapter. In the DIY store I might look in the plumbing dept for a PVC pipe cap, pipe size adapter, other plumbing pieces the right size and shape, In the tool dept I might look at shop vac hose adapters. In the housewares store look at bowls in metal and plastic, plastic flower vases that might be cut down, etc etc. Don't discount the idea of putting multiple pieces together. You can paint it to match your column or semigloss black, hammertone, or ???

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Jon,
Our original wheel was more duct tape than anything else but we wanted the "1950" look. We found this after market wheel on line - It's patterned after a late 40's Ford. (Kind of pricey but nice).

Ben in Austin
Ben, is that the stock steering column? If so what type of adaptor is that and wheel? Like the look, but dont want to replace my stock column, where did you get it?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Bryan,
My column was shot - just duct taped together. That is a new
30 inch Ididit knockoff column - Off Ebay for around $225 or so.
It has tilt, turn signals, flashers, & column PRNDL. It comes with a GM
style adapter as does the 40's Ford style steering wheel.

My experience is that steering is one area that just seems to be pricey.
Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Speedway's adaper is for '28-'48 Fords. Part # 916-32765. In the catalog it says Fits a steering wheel with modern three hole pattern to '28-'48 Ford steering column...works with all Grant wheels. Check it out on his web site, it's only $19.99. Don't know how well it works.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
I saw a thread awhile back where somebody installed a newer center piece in an original wheel, I wonder if you could reverse that. Put an original wheel hub on a newer hub? I would like to use my original wheel on my Bronco II steering column. It's not time for me to mess with it now, but thats my thoughts.
I was reading my post here and it may have been misunderstood.
Someone here took an old steering wheel and machined the center to make room for a new center to be welded into the old wheel so it would fit a newer column.
That's what I was talking about..Sorry..not an adapter.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
If I was going to do that much machining, I'd make it so the two pieces could be bolted together rather than needing welding, heat and plastic doesn't coexist very well.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1956, 1967, 1973, 2008, adapter, adapters, f100, ford, fords, grant, installation, kit, steering, truck, wheel