6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Customer Satisfaction program 12B33

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OATS
Bob, did you have the NOx sensor replaced along with the recalibration? If so, how is it running? How many miles on your truck? Thanks for posting.
I don't believe they replaced the NOx as it only said on the invoice that they performed the Nox, PCM, and TCM flash. I believe the procedures is to check the PCM for certain codes and if they are present, replace the NOx and re-flash, and if not, just re-flash. Apparently these codes don't trigger a CEL. My truck is a early 2011 Job1 with 11K miles. I had it in the dealer for occasional shifting issues from 2-3 and 6-5. It's had all the TSB's including the solenoid TSB 11-7-10. I guess the dealer found this customer satisfaction notice while it was in and performed the procedure. I must say it's shifting way better. But it always has after a TCM/PCM recalibration so time will tell. Also it could just be my imagination but it seems the turbo lag is gone or way better. But again it's only been a couple days. Don't really understand the hesitation of everyone to get this done. You may not be experiencing Nox issues now but doesn't mean you won't in the future. Also if this is a customer satisfaction calibration it may contain other fixes (shifting/turbo lag???). I look at it as a Microsoft update, just because your PC isn't having issues doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it up to date. Hope this helps....

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 883 Likes on 322 Posts
Just made my appointment with the dealer for this, as well as a "laundry list" of other annoyances to be looked at while under the 3yr/36K bumper to bumper.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
p12483
Senior User
Sitting in the service center as we speak getting it done. Had brought it in for oil change at 10k and said it needed to be done. Service writer said I did not have to get it done, but I would have to sign a waiver for ford stating I did not want it done. He said no they can't void the warranty because I don't upgrade the software. He said as soon as I drove off the lot I had my warranty And this upgrade is not required by law so they can't void anything. He did say if it caused failure down the road I would peob catch some grief but no voiding warranty. He said they've done a bunch and no complaints as of yet. I will be letting you all know if it causes any issues.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by frt2599
I don't believe they replaced the NOx as it only said on the invoice that they performed the Nox, PCM, and TCM flash. I believe the procedures is to check the PCM for certain codes and if they are present, replace the NOx and re-flash, and if not, just re-flash. Apparently these codes don't trigger a CEL. My truck is a early 2011 Job1 with 11K miles. I had it in the dealer for occasional shifting issues from 2-3 and 6-5. It's had all the TSB's including the solenoid TSB 11-7-10. I guess the dealer found this customer satisfaction notice while it was in and performed the procedure. I must say it's shifting way better. But it always has after a TCM/PCM recalibration so time will tell. Also it could just be my imagination but it seems the turbo lag is gone or way better. But again it's only been a couple days. Don't really understand the hesitation of everyone to get this done. You may not be experiencing Nox issues now but doesn't mean you won't in the future. Also if this is a customer satisfaction calibration it may contain other fixes (shifting/turbo lag???). I look at it as a Microsoft update, just because your PC isn't having issues doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it up to date. Hope this helps....

Here is the procedure

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
R12B333.pdf (33.1 KB, 1056 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
W7PSK
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Received the letter Saturday. Decided to do it as I'm getting the 2 -3 skip shifting issue as well as the 6 - 5 slam shift on occasion. Just called the dealer and they do it tomorrow.

Will let you guys know what happens.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I got the letter as well,I have 35,462 on my early Job 1 with zero issue's so im reluctant to get it done also.. I was even looking for things to fix before my 36k warranty is up and couldnt find anything wrong... This has been a awsome truck!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Fontana
Senior User
I had mine done last Friday. I followed it up wth a 700 mile weekend road trip. The truck ran beautifully.

My dealer called me today to follow up. He mentioned that every time a vehicle is brought in for service they hook up to the computer and download updates. Apparently they know precisely what software versions each truck has. This involves (I assume) every computer aided part on the truck. I asked if new fuel filters were responsible for the gain in mpg. Apparently it had something to do with a tranny update!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
OATS
Junior User
Good report, glad all is well with yours. What kind of mpg were you getting on your road trip? Mine goes back in Wednesday. We are going to repeat the new calibration again even though when hooked to a computer it shows everything is operating as intended. Funny you mentioned your fuel filters; while driving today I had a message pop up on the dash telling me "fuel filter replacement required." They were changed at 15,000 miles, truck now has almost 24,000. Anybody have any insight on this message?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
That message usually pops up every 15,000 miles. It's like the oil change message and based on hours/miles not on any restriction in the filter itself.

I suspect they forgot to reset the fuel filter reminder when they changed it at 15,000 miles.

I took mine in today for the NOX update. Got the Coolant checked while they had it in the bay. seems to run the same as before taking it in.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
OATS
Junior User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
That message usually pops up every 15,000 miles. It's like the oil change message and based on hours/miles not on any restriction in the filter itself.

I suspect they forgot to reset the fuel filter reminder when they changed it at 15,000 miles.

I took mine in today for the NOX update. Got the Coolant checked while they had it in the bay. seems to run the same as before taking it in.
I figured it would be a mileage-hours trip, but it came on with 23,735 miles and an oddball number of hours also. Then it came on two separate times when I had restarted the truck after stops on errands where I had to hit the OK button turn off. Now the reminder doesn't come on any more even though I have not reset it. Seems strange to me. Are you certain there is no performance based trigger for the fuel filter warning?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by OATS
Good report, glad all is well with yours. What kind of mpg were you getting on your road trip? Mine goes back in Wednesday. We are going to repeat the new calibration again even though when hooked to a computer it shows everything is operating as intended. Funny you mentioned your fuel filters; while driving today I had a message pop up on the dash telling me "fuel filter replacement required." They were changed at 15,000 miles, truck now has almost 24,000. Anybody have any insight on this message?
I honestly thought it was the fuel filters. I went from barely getting 17mpg highway to 19 in highway traffic immediately after getting my truck out of service. Once I got moving the gauge went to 21.3. I haven't got that since it was new which is why I assumed it had something t do with the filters.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Received my letter Saturday also. With only 75 miles left before hitting 36,000 miles, I took mine into service this afternoon.

My issues before going out of warranty are; 1) drives seat leather where it attaches to the seat frame in front won't stay put, 2) severe front tire wobble when any potholes, rough spots encountered at most any speed, and 3) occassional slow shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and rough shift 5th to 6th.

Will be interesting to know what other updates I've missed since I've done all of my own service since the dealer did the first oil change. No other issues than those listed - been a great truck pulling the 5'er.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
paul100
Senior User
Well I didn't get a letter but my three week old 2012 with 825 miles got a "speed limited to 50MPH in 50 miles, Diesel Exhaust Fluid system fault" message. It cleared itself in about 15-20 miles but took the truck in last Friday and they reflashed the PCM and replaced the NOX sensor, the paper worked said the following "Found code P204F . KOEO and KOER test. Found SSM22044 for this concern. Performed SCR reductant dosing test. Found no concern coming back. Contacted hotline about this code, was instructed to install new NOX sensor and reset NOX stratigies. Engineering is currently working on this> This is the repair for now, part 9D378 condition 42."
I'm assuming the last part means that we can expect to have more problems with the sensor or computer program in the future.
The good news is that while it was in there I had them turn the DRL on.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 AM
mikem7
Freshman User
Do you suppose this issue is only limited to 2011 6.7"s? The only response from a 2012 that I noticed was from Paul, and he didn't receive one yet. I have a 2012 but I won't be home until August. Just wondering if I will have a letter waiting for me also. Can't wait to drive that beast again........

Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikem7
Do you suppose this issue is only limited to 2011 6.7"s? The only response from a 2012 that I noticed was from Paul, and he didn't receive one yet. I have a 2012 but I won't be home until August. Just wondering if I will have a letter waiting for me also. Can't wait to drive that beast again........
Hmmm, not sure. Maybe. I haven't received a letter yet. But then I did have the nox sensor replaced and reprogrammed a few months ago. So far, no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Customer Satisfaction program 12B33