Reese Goose Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:32 AM
lhansman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sarge261

I finally got around to installing the safety chains on my Goose Box a couple of weeks ago and as requested here are some photos - hopefully not too many!

My installation is somewhat more complicated because I have had a 4,000 pound Cargobed slider in my three trucks over the last eight years and I wanted to keep it operational in the new 2015. That is why I purchased the Reese ball with the 1" higher shank as I wanted to keep the trailer attachment point as high as possible above the bed of the truck to minimize interference between the slider and the Goose Box.

As you can see in the photos my Goose Box 20K came with what I assumed were safety chain attachment points drilled into heavier plate on the underside of the Goose Box. The plate is 3/8" thick and pre drilled with 1/2" diameter holes.

Years ago I worked in a splicing shop which makes rigging for all types of cranes and construction activities. I have maintained contact with the owners over the years so whenever I need a piece of chain or cable I visit there, catch up and get a good deal on rigging. I went there and purchased a couple of Crosby 1/2" eyes you can see in the photos. The eyes come pre threaded for a 5/8" bolt so I then went to a fastener place and purchased a couple of Grade 9 bolts with flat and lock washers to secure the eyes to the Goose Box. I then drilled the Goose Box holes out from 1/2" to 5/8" in order to accommodate the bolts and attached the two eyes to the Goose Box.

The rest of the photos show what I had to deal with in order to keep the bed slider operational and the goose neck attachment points accessible without having to remove the entire aluminum tray on my slider. I can't see ever installing a fifth wheel hitch as I am very pleased with the Goose Box so I only cut out enough of the aluminum tray to accommodate the rear attachment points and the ball. I will leave the shackles and Ford safety loops in place as they fit fine under the slider.

I put slip hooks with safety latches on both ends of the chains so I can easily remove the chains when I park the fiver and not have them hanging in the way. I think the chains are a little long as I wasn't sure how long they needed to be to provide adequate movement so I may shorten them later. It is hard to see in the final photo but the chains are crossed in an X for those who care.

So I towed my fifth wheel on its first long trip of about 350 miles two weeks ago and the Goose Box performed flawlessly. The ride was so comfortable that on certain pavement you could almost forget their was a 16,000 pound load back there. I removed all of the Ford rear spring suspension from my truck and installed the AutoFlex air suspension and that also significantly improves the ride as this is not a supplementary air bag system but rather full air suspension with a leveling valve.

The one thing I have noticed is that when I first air up the Goose Box I can see the green portion of the label above the yellow. However after driving for even a few miles I can't see the label any more. I thought my Goose Box was leaking down but when I put the pressure gauge on I still have around 35 pounds of air and it pulls / rides just fine.

I am now full timing it in the fiver for the next five months and for the past two weeks it has worked great. I will be home once or twice a month to get caught up on laundry and such but so far I am enjoying "camping". Hope you have a great summer too and good luck with the new baby and possible a new fiver!

If you are considering a dually, I am really pleased with the 2015 F350 dually with the max tow option. I had a SRW 2004 F350 followed by a SRW 2012 F250 and I pulled some heavy loads with those trucks but the dually is just so much more comfortable when towing. I have only ever pulled my fiver with the dually but I pulled my Kubota and accessories in my 10 ton dump trailer several times on 150 mile plus trips last year with the SRW 2012 and I can't believe how much more relaxing it is to tow with the dually. The trailer, Kubota and accessories weigh somewhere between 16,000 and 18,000 pounds and the dually is rock solid at 65 - 70 mph.

I ordered the dually exactly the way I wanted it and I almost didn't get the max tow option because it forces you to 4.30 axle ratios so I was concerned about fuel mileage. I have almost 15,000 miles on the 2015 and am getting around 16 mpg empty and 10 mpg pulling 16,000 - 18,000 pounds at 65 - 70 mph and that is fine with me. The benefit I really like with the wider front axle is the reduced turning circle. It really makes a crew cab long box a much more maneuverable rig which is handy when fine tuning trailer placement.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Lauren

Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 AM
lhansman
Senior User

Crosby 1/2" eyes attached to Goose Box 20K

Goose Box 20K safety chain attachment locations

Crosby 1/2" eyes and grade 9 bolts

Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 AM
lhansman
Senior User

Aluminum slider tray cut for goose ball and safety loops

Cargobed 4,000 pound slider frame in F350

Gooseneck ball, Ford safety loops and shackles in slider frame

Sorry Sarge261 but it seems I can't submit all the photos with the text so I am sending them separately.

Lauren

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 AM
lhansman
Senior User

Goose Box 20K connected in F350 with slider

Ready to connect Goose Box 20K

Old 07-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you that's what I was looking for.

The plan is to someday upgrade the current truck to a newer dually. Id really like to get a 15 or a 16 so I'm hoping with the 17's around the corner and redesign coming that there will be some ice low mileage trade ins coming in the next year or 2.

Its still hard for e to justify getting rid of my truck as it runs an tows so well. I am glad to hear that your fuel mileage is that good in the city as on a day to day basis I spend most of my time on 35-45 mph roads.

Sarge

Old 10-31-2015, 04:58 PM
shane772
New User
Will there be any issue with a truck that's slightly lifted w/37" tires using the Goose Box?

Old 11-02-2015, 06:30 PM
lhansman
Senior User
Assuming the height of your truck still works with the suspension height of your trailer I don't think it will be an issue. There were three rows of holes on my trailer to choose from when installing the Goose Box so there was two or three inches of adjustment there.

You should download the PDF for the Goose Box and check the hole layout dimension on it and see if they match the hole spacing of the fastening wings on your fiver. I had two drill a couple of holes to get all of the Goose Box bolts in since my trailer is not built on a Lippert frame.

Regards,

Lauren

Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM
shane772
New User
Thanks Lauren! I'll check out the .pdf. I'm still debating between the Goose box and the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection. Andersen says they have many customers with similar set up and no problems . . .

Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Your concern with the Anderson will be with the warranty on the trailer frame. I believe, when I did my research, Lippert wont warranty the trailer frame with any other Goose Neck Adapter other than the Goose Box.

Im not saying that the Andersons have caused issues, but my trailer was a big investment, and keeping the warranty was a issue as we travel a lot.

Sarge

Old 11-03-2015, 01:27 PM
shane772
New User
Yeah, my warranty is out now. Lippert has went back and forth on covering the Andersen and I believe at the moment they say it ISN'T covered. But the Andersen is also ~ half the cost of Goose Box. I don't know that there's anything I can do to make sure either will work other than buying and trying . . .

Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I can tell you that my 5er is 13,500 + or - depending on where we are going and for how long. Ive got 4 years and about 6k towing miles with it, and every other year I have the frame inspected for cracks or damage and I have none thus far. I guess time will tell, but for right now all is ok.

Sarge

Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
shane772
New User
Sarge261 or lhansman, anyway one of you would get me the measurement from ground to your truck bed floor?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
38 1/2" with 305/65/18's...truck is a 2006 F350 Crew Cab Lariat leveling kit up front.

Sarge

Old 11-04-2015, 07:42 AM
shane772
New User
Thanks Sarge, I truly appreciate it! This sounds like it will work perfectly with little adjustment. I'm at 39-1/2", basically the same set up as you, just slightly larger tires.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
No problem,

I think you will love the Goose Box, I have 0 chunking with it, and with 2 shocks and an air bag towing is pretty comfortable.

Sarge

Quick Reply: Reese Goose Box