Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Postmaster

ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.
steve.mckellop
Be glad to help but the other Steve (BigBlueOx) has done it so he may be better qualified !
'14 TRANSIT Connect
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd would also be glad to help. =]
'15 F-550 XLT 6.7 RC 84"CA DRW Chassis Cab
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Senior User

Intimnasc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry guys but just want to be clear here. Below is what I am looking for, if something is left out or unnecessary please tell me.

1) Steering wheel (IDC about tilt)
2) All linkage and cabling with the servo for the throttle
3) Master Cylinder? This one I am not sure about if someone can elaborate a little.
4) Cruise wiring? Most I think is there but I could be mistaken. Do I need any harnesses?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Postmaster

ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.
steve.mckellop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimnasc View Post
Sorry guys but just want to be clear here. Below is what I am looking for, if something is left out or unnecessary please tell me.

1) Steering wheel (IDC about tilt) YES
2) All linkage and cabling with the servo for the throttle SHOULD ALL COME TOGETHER
3) Master Cylinder? This one I am not sure about if someone can elaborate a little.YES, TO GO OEM. OTHER OPINIONS NEEDED.
4) Cruise wiring? Most I think is there but I could be mistaken. Do I need any harnesses? IT'S ALL THERE
You "may" be able to get by without the master cylinder change. From what I've seen above the clutch switch will kick it "OFF". Now, it needs to kick off with the brake pedal also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx View Post
EDIT
Actually the brake pedal switch is tied into the clutch switch so the one on the master is a redundant safety.
'14 TRANSIT Connect
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Posting Guru

BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.BigBlueOx has a good reputation on FTE.
My truck is a '96 XL and it came with the wiring that it needed. So I don't believe your truck would need a harness.
You don't need the master unless you want the redundant off switch. The clutch and brake pedal switch (separate from the one under the hood) shut it off without the one on the master just fine.

I used a SPOUT plug to jumper the plug that is supposed to be hooked to the pressure switch on the master. So for now I would grab one of those.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Skipper of the KY Chapter

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx View Post
My truck is a '96 XL and it came with the wiring that it needed. So I don't believe your truck would need a harness.
You don't need the master unless you want the redundant off switch. The clutch and brake pedal switch (separate from the one under the hood) shut it off without the one on the master just fine.

I used a SPOUT plug to jumper the plug that is supposed to be hooked to the pressure switch on the master. So for now I would grab one of those.

SO basically, we need to get the hard parts, and I need to put a Clutch Safety Switch back in, if I'm gonna use Cruise?

19.31 E/T @ 68.78mph in a 1/4 mile
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
I need to put a Clutch Safety Switch back in, if I'm gonna use Cruise?
No, but it's not a bad idea. The BOO and CSS are wired in series to the speed control. So if either one of them breaks the circuit then it shuts off. And the pressure switch under the hood on the master is a redundant saftey switch which will also shut the speed control off.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
So basically, I'll just have to drive it Automatic style...Tap the brake, then go on, etc....lol

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
So basically, I'll just have to drive it Automatic style...Tap the brake, then go on, etc....lol
Yup. Or shut it off by the wheel.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Senior User

The existing brake light switch on the brake peddle is already wired or do we need to get another brake switch? I have an E40D, so the brake switch will be the only switch (other than the pressure switch) right? I looked closely under the hood last night and found the big connector on the fender well and at least two two wire connectors that will easily reach the master cylinder. What color are the wires for the pressure switch?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Elder User

Bootlegger's Deluxe is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'm subscribing to this thread. I'm screwing together a 93 F250 2wd that was oddly optioned. it had a 351/auto with A/C, but an XL interior (crank windows, non tilt, non cruise, rubber floormats) what i want is to have the mix of low option (crank windows, non power locks, rubber floor) with a bit of comfy (nice seats, tilt, cruise, air, stereo system). i plan on being in this truck for hours at a time, but i tend to play rough and dont need unnecessary things like power windows that might break. I have a 92 F150 for parts to swap the goods out of...

My issue is this: i peeked under the hood on my 93 and i cannot find the plug for the Cruise setup to plug into. Drivers side, right where the fender bolts up, right??

can someone help me with this dilemma?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Senior User

OK so I was looking at all the threads I have started and seeing what I could afford to do this weeekend and realized I never updated this thread.

I went to my local Pick N Pull memorial weekend (turned out it was half price weekend) and was starting to get discouraged when bam there was a cruise control servo that some buthead hadn't cut the cable on when pulling the motor. So for 24 dollars I got the cruise control, steering wheel, and master cylinder pressure switch.

I installed everything but the pressure switch in 45 minutes or so. I plugged the pressure switch into the wire harness and use it as a dummy until I get around to putting in a new master cylinder (some things I refuse to get at the JY). Borrowed the steering wheel puller from my local O'Reilly store for free (they make ya pay for it but you return it for a full refund within 48 hours). The 5/16 threads in the steering wheel are not deep enough and weere stripped in both my donor vehicle and mine so I brought a drill bit and a 3/8-16 bottom tap.

Anyways a special thank you to NCranchero and BigBlueOx for all your help. You two make it near DFW area in North Texas and the beers are on me.

Yes Bootlegger mine was drivers side right under the hood hinge between the fender and the master cylinder. Just like in the pictures on the first page. Send me a PM if you need to and I'll get ya a picture of mine or take a picture of yours and post here so we can have a look.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Freshman User

sticky58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
the master cylinder pressure switch will have to be installed or have a jumper carry current from one side to the other,this switch carries power back and forth to the servo,if the pressure in the master cylinder is to drop, it won`t allow cruise to work,no power to servo.You don`t have to change wheel if you like your old one better, you can change one into the other.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Senior User

Actually I just plugged the pressure switch into the wiring harness and never put it in a master cylinder. The switch senses an increase in presssure when the brakes are applied so being plugged in but not connected to the master cylinder skips any jumpers and suits the purpose. As far as the wheel I wanted the buttons on the new one and didn't notice a way to install them on my old wheel. I do have a question though was there no backlight in the switches? Mine are not lighting up so I figured they didnt have lights in them.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM

Wesley R. Cole
On my Dash excursion to the JY, I picked up a mint dash, the carpet that goes under the rear window, the trim panels off a 91 model truck, XLT Lariat Visors (P/S has the Vanity Mirror) and 2 complete CC Servo's...With INTACT Throttle Linkages...And the Plug that goes into the Servo, sadly, it had to be clipped...About 2 ft of wires though...So PLENTY to work with...

Is there anything else I'm needing, besides the Servo, Throttle Linkage, and Wiring?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM