Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Posting Guru

flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.
Oil Cooler Bypass???

After reading thru some of the tech. folder. I noticed that the oil cooler has a bypass that is in the oil filter housing and is set at 25 psi... Is it possible that some of the 6.0's over time have weakened say to 20 psi or lower and is allowing hot oil to around the cooler instead of forcing it thru, allowing our deltas to get a larger spread?
It would make sense for all those that have changed oil coolers,done flushes etc, all in trying to reach the under 5* spread.. Is there a way to test the pressure and adjust or replace the bypass?
Any techs that have run into this, and any thoughts on the probability?
2004 F-350 Super Duty Crew King Ranch . 6.0 psd...coolant, filter,egr. cooler delete, ccv. reroute, slotted and drilled rotors,kitty ran away, air bags,leveling kit, progigy,piaa lights, Warn HID driving lights, Warn 9,000i winch.
2003 EXP; All stock Wifes ride!!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Elder User

kidoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting,
F350 Lariat, 6.0, crew cab diesel, 8 foot box, 2006, SRW, 4x4, 2" front puck, scan gauge II, Rotella ELC, Coolant filter, Adjustable Ranchos, Rear adjustable Air lift, Rear sway bar, on order blue spring, stc.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have been looking for a part number on this(oil cooler bypass valve). Anybody happen to run across it? Could this potentially be a problem for some?
1977 F-150 4" lift 35/12.50-15 6 year project almost complete
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
After reading thru some of the tech. folder. I noticed that the oil cooler has a bypass that is in the oil filter housing and is set at 25 psi... Is it possible that some of the 6.0's over time have weakened say to 20 psi or lower and is allowing hot oil to around the cooler instead of forcing it thru, allowing our deltas to get a larger spread?
It would make sense for all those that have changed oil coolers,done flushes etc, all in trying to reach the under 5* spread.. Is there a way to test the pressure and adjust or replace the bypass?
Well after all it is a spring and they age and get weak. Maybe when someone does an oil cooler
if the price is not way out there they should just replace the by-pass assembly.
It really depends on cost.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Senior User

RPM371 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great. Something new to worry about.
2006 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, 6.0 Powerstroke, ARP Studs, OEM Head Gaskets, Performance Machine Coolant Filter, Sinister EGR Delete, High Idle Mod, Scangauge II, SCT w/ Matt's 8K Tow Tune, FICM by Ed w/Atlas 40, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension, B&W Turnoverball, Michelin LTX A/T 2 LT245/75R17, Galaxy 939 w/Texas Star amp, SiriusXM XpressRCi, Ouku 7" Flip Down HD Touch Screen/DVD/CD/Nav/Bluetooth/USB/SD/Cam (it plays the radio, too).
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Posting Guru

r2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
If the real problem with the oil coolers is the size of the coolant passages and them plugging due to casting sand/coolant precipitate, then having an oil bypass bypass really wouldn't hurt eot #'s, maybe improve them.

Ideally, having a coolant bypass thru the oil cooler would be the right answer, allowing enough cooler to reach the egr and not allowing heat failures as typical today.
Not sure there's room, nor that would solve the problem?

Bob and better half
As my brother reminds me regularly... "Life is not a spectator sport."
2007 F-250, PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2 WD, 85k, coolant filter, DashBoss, 1999 Expedition 5.4 319k plus, 32' CrossRoads CrossTerrain 5th wheel Toy Hauler, 24' Chaparral Villain lll 598 ci
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
I think that they would have to really rework a few things.
That being said it could be done. If it were done then a PID for
by-pass should be added because you won't get any oil cooling
and it will get hot fast and cause other problems.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Type problems.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
I'm wondering if you're refering to the oil filter bypass that's part of the standpipe that will allow for filter bypass if the filter clogs??

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
I'm wondering if you're refering to the oil filter bypass that's part of the standpipe that will allow for filter bypass if the filter clogs??
Page 22: Lubrication System

Page 25: Lubrication System

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It looks like it is held in by the two torx screws that locks the standpipe in place. Its brass with a spring. I guess I am wondering if when it is open it bypasses the oil cooler? Is it possible for it to be open all the time and not sending all the oil through the cooler?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Posting Guru

Josh,
Thanks, I must have missed page 22. I assumed the filter was pre cooler.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt390 View Post
Ahhh yes. I had forgotten that little feature (can't get those pic's at work sometimes). I've seen more than one of those that have grooves worn into them and IIRC it is a replaceable part but don't know that clogging of the oil side of the cooler has ever been a problem and I THINK that is a differential pressure bypass.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Posting Guru

I figured it was serviceable but can't seem to find a part number. I'm not really worried about a plugged oil cooler, i just wonder if this spring gets weak or no longer functions and let's oil bypass the cooler all the time. Because of the size, I wonder if it would even matter if it was bypassing
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
460, 60, 64l, 75, 96, bypass, cooler, duty, f350, ford, oil, power, steering, super, v10