Legal questions, road use WVO

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Legal questions, road use WVO

I'm just now getting into running WVO or bio-diesel and I'm trying to avoid any legal pitfalls I might not be aware of at the moment.

I plan on running WVO, though I'm curious on bio-diesel I don't see a huge cost gain at the moment and seeing as I'm a blacksmith and a welder having methanol around is just a horrible idea. Not to mention I'd really rather not have the FBI show up thinking I have a meth lab, lol. (Small towns, noisy people. Even years ago my parents had a run in them because of their Dental Lab).

My main concern is can I use WVO on the roads, or is it strictly an off road fuel? This is off road country so I would still benefit from it, but it would be quite nice to use it in town or on the freeway. I haven't been able to find any answers that don't deal with California and this area of the country (Montana and Wyoming) is way different legal wise in everything I've come across over the years. They did mention being registered and paying a tax on it, but I don't know if that would apply to my situation, I can't come across any hard information.

Anyone know? Have any place I can find information? Searching is leaving me without answers at the moment :\

Thanks

Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have no idea how WY works..........But Oregon passed a law exempting homebrew biodiesel from state taxes. I've been running bio for over 7 years here in rural eastern Oregon, and have never had any problems. The local, county, and state cops know all about my bio use and have never gave me any problems. I would check with your state office's to see what they say.......

Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not just use it and dont potentially incriminate yourself by telling the world you use it? i dont remember ANY law that says you have to tell the government what kind of fuel you use in your daily driver. also cant recall any law that says if you break the law you have to report yourself. if you cant find any law covering your situation what does that tell you? why give legislators any dumb ideas? theres like 10 people in all of wyoming do you really think any of them are going to care what kind of fuel youre burning?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MN has a form your supposed to fill out. Up until 2008 alternative fuels were tax exempt so no road tax had to be paid. I'm with ken, I don't tell many people what I'm doing, the odds of me getting stopped and my tank dipped are pretty slim, and if they do dip my tank they will find green road fuel anyway.....the wvo tank is concealed with its own filler....

Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Ive been askin around and you get a different story from everybody.
One fella told me they cant dip regular pickup trucks due to the fact our inlet tubes have a baffle and if they slip the tube past the baffle then it messes up our trucks and you cant put fuel back in them. I know this is true about messing up the baffle after trying to siphon gas out for my lawnmower after that i couldnt get gas to pump in it without spurting all over.
Others tell me you can keep a log on your homebrew and pay the fuel tax on that at the end of the year if it keeps you up at night.
Im with the majority and keep it under your hat what your doing and enjoy the savings for yourself.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
In the five years that I have drive diesel pickups I have only been dipped once. Then again you may drive a lifetime and never get checked.

The best advice I have ever got was, "You can do anything you want if you are willing to pay the consequences afterward."

Thad

Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in Iowa, you are supposed to pay the road tax on it. Had a case a while back where a person was running WVO in a VW, and they busted him for the road taxes. I don't know as it changed since then, and the only way he got caught was by telling many about it, including newspapers... It is more by the state. I personally have never been dipped, and don't directly know anyone that has, but hear of it happening once in a while.