6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel Filters....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Filters....

I've been thinking of ways to get better filtration of the fuel and thought about AirDog II, which I'm sure would be great, but then I started doing some research and found that Motorcraft filters are only 98% efficient at 10 microns and that their spec'd at 96% water filtration. I found WIX filters that are 100% at 4 microns, Baldwin are 5 microns, NAPA Gold filter 5 microns AND cover repairs associated by filter failure, and Az from AutoZone are 10 microns.

It seems we're being setup for failure with Motorcraft filters.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
maybe....but marketing is one thing, and warranty rejection is another....

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I've been doing some research and thought of this, take a Baldwin filter, http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details...4&ci_sku=4ZPE1, along with a pump to filter the tank and deposit clean fuel back into the tank. At 30 GPH, you could filter your entire fuel tank in an hour, SB, and 75 minutes, LB. hook it up to an up fitter switch, and run the filter after fill up. It's also 2 micron filtration and 100% fuel water separation. The filter also has a clear bowl to see when it's time to drain.

What you think?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree with you whole heartedly.....anything to help!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I think that this stuff is all well and good out of warranty, assuming of course that they can match the flow and pressure requirements of the pump. But if you have a HPFP problem in warranty you'd have a heck of a time convincing an FSE that your aftermarket filtration didn't contribute to the problem.

Check out THIS THREAD and specifically look for the post by PumpDoctor. He does this stuff for a living and advises against any kind of modification.

Originally Posted by PumpDoctor
Maybe you should get facts first. The Air Dog has it's own pump. It is set at "about" the same pressure as the Ford system. It is also adjustable.

So once again, how is adding the Air Dog system going the change the pressure to the Ford system when it's pushing the same pressure only now without air bubbles and filtered before hitting the Ford system?

What am I missing other than Ford may deny warranty just because the Air Dog is installed?
What is the OEM factory lift pump flow and psi to the HPFP? What is it for the Air Dog?

As for "air bubbles" that just a sales gimic. Who says the OEM system doesn't do the same thing except for the company trying to sell their product.

I can't say if its as good, better or worse, but lets say you install it and the lift pump on the Air Dog stops working and starves the HPFP. you defintely won't get warranty. If the OEM pumps stop working then you have a better chance of being covered.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Thanks Tom,

Good info.

What about the Auxillary filtration of the fuel tank idea? I don't see how one could argue that caused any issues. It doesn't change fuel line pressure or anything of the sort. I'm sure there's someone that can tell me why it wouldn't work or why a warranty claim would be denied because of it.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean something like this:

XX-Fuel, Diesel Filtration Systems

They don't have Powerstroke applications yet, they're working on it.

As far as the AirDog failing and killing the HPFP, I'd love to see that. That's just another "what if" to scare people. There's plenty of documented issues of the stock filtration being less than adequate and not doing its job of protecting the HPFP, which is usually aggravated by poor maintenance and/or questionable fuel quality. The reputable shops that are building high output 6.4s use the 165 GPH/10 PSI fixed AirDog II (for the most part) along with deleting the fuel bowl, adding ported rails/lines and running straight to the HPFP. Haven't heard of a single instances of the AD failing and lunching the HPFP, although there's several horror stories about modded/high output HPFPs failing all on their own.

The air bubbles aren't a marketing gimmick, it's a patented technology that is comprehensively explained on their website. I had a FASS on my 6.0 Excursion and it made a huge difference in power, mileage, reduced engine noise and smoke. The dense fuel charge delivered to the injector also reduces the wear and tear on them too, and we all know how inexpensive Powerstroke fuel injectors are...

With all due respect to the "PumpDoctor", I'm more than confident that the addition of an AirDogII to my truck is a wise investment and relatively cheap insurance as opposed to replacing a HPFP (out of warranty). If your HPFP fails and you have an AirDog installed does that means it's automatically not covered? Not necessarily, they can't just say "because I said so, that's why"...