Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Elder User

Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.
FICM Poll

Hello All!

After recent posts and some serious pondering before another major road trip with the family this year, I have a question:

How many of you HAVE already replaced/repaired/modded your FICM on your 6.0 diesel Excursion?

Thanks!
05 PSD Limited Ex, V's and B's, Bilstein Shocks, Harley H/L, Billet Badges, Red Head, 30mm Sway, FCDP Delete, FCDP Coolant, JL Audio Stealthbox, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, XS Power D6500 Batts, F650 Dash, Focal Coax, Tracvision a7, Adj Track Bar, Xbox, R/C Dual Steer Stab, 2008 Diff Cover, Mag Hytech Trans Pan, SCT Innov Tunes, Soundstream 10.2" screen, ARP Headstuds, Isspro Gauges, Kenwood DNN990HD, Silverline 4" Exh, JL Audio Amps, BMF Novakane 22x10.5 Death Metal Wheels, Toyo O.C. A/T II Extreme 325-50-22, Iron Cross Boards
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Wiser by FTE

Curt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2nd ficm from a 06 for testing and was going to send it in for programing, after more results/test's are in from fte...
05 eb 6.0 psd, edge insight, coolant filter, 4" ss exhaust, egr delete, studs, sct & matt's custom tunes, atlas 40 ficm tune, road master as, v code front springs, rs9000's, 2.2 k inverter, frozen rotors/hawk pads, alpine amp/ 2 10" sub, 27 watt! led back-ups, led interior lights, rear view camera mirror, power-max turbo, harley headlights, hood liner,jimmi jammers, eds ficm atlas 40, F650 lower dash, blue spring, true-trac, 250 amp alt, high idle mod, 18" king ranch rims, 2008 oem super duty PPPower mirrors...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Senior User

Sader has a good reputation on FTE.Sader has a good reputation on FTE.
I had mine repaired on my F-250 last fall, not an Excursion but a 6.0L nonetheless. Pretty simple to get in there and replace it!

Cheers
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior User

Excurvelle has a good reputation on FTE.Excurvelle has a good reputation on FTE.Excurvelle has a good reputation on FTE.
Unless the prior owner had it replaced mine has never been done.
2005 Excursion Limited 2WD 6.0L, Blue Spring, Scangauge II, IPR Remote Oil Cooler, IPR Coolant Filter, IPR EGR Cooler, Updated Turbo Drain, Updated Turbo Supply Line, ECO Tune in FICM, Stand pipes and Dummy Plugs, Updated STC
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Senior User

EddieEX10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EddieEX10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I replaced mine last year. Roughly 130k when it went bad. Didn't flat out fail but it was running rough and failed checks so I got another one from swamps. It wasn't cheap but it's running good.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Replaced mine at about 100K. It didn't completely fail before replacement, but went from 40V to 20V in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Oilfield Class

rbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud of
Replaced mine last summer with an Inovative 48v. Big difference.
09 F350 SRW, LWB, 4x4 6.4 Lariat
79 Bronco 460, auto, 39.5 TSL
LIFE TIME MEMBER OF NRA
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Elder User

jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I was on a month and a half long trip when mine started to fail in Vegas, took it out and sent it to ficm repair to be fixed, showed no signs of failure before leaving. It will fail when you need it, at least mine did!

I would take it out when its convenient for you not when IT wants attention!

Just my 2cw

Edit: This was on the 2005 at 78000 miles, bought the truck new.

THE BITTER TASTE OF POOR QUALITY LINGERS LONG AFTER THE SWEET TASTE OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
mine was repaired under warranty according to my oasis. The FICM was replaced and the ECU flashed to the buzztune.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 AM
SPONSOR

FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.
Seemingly, there are only two kinds of FICM's - those that HAVE failed and those that WILL fail. In fact, an increasing percentage of our customers are sending in their FICM's as a preventative maintenance for exactly the reason the OP suggested - peace of mind. Of course, having the possibility of better fuel economy with one of the PHP tunes that we can now apply doesn't hurt the ol' pocketbook at the pump either.

While many that come into our shop have the aggressive heat induction tune on them (which clearly hasn't helped their cause and may well be the reason for the failure to begin with), many don't as well.

We always tell people to seriously consider installing a heat shield under their module so that the heat from the engine goes up and around (instead of through) the module and keep a close eye on both their batteries and their alternator(s).

Glad to have helped you out, jdw1!
2005 Excursion 6.0 PSD. RAS, 4" MBRP T409, Edge Insight CTS, ScanGauge II, coolant filter, DELO ELC, upgraded FICM from FICMrepair.com, SCT, blue spring upgrade, trans bypass filter, Rancho 9000XL's, SS ESOF lines, Rotella 5W40, Clifford Remote Start, Prodigy.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Senior User

grishw1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com View Post
Seemingly, there are only two kinds of FICM's - those that HAVE failed and those that WILL fail. In fact, an increasing percentage of our customers are sending in their FICM's as a preventative maintenance for exactly the reason the OP suggested - peace of mind. Of course, having the possibility of better fuel economy with one of the PHP tunes that we can now apply doesn't hurt the ol' pocketbook at the pump either.

While many that come into our shop have the aggressive heat induction tune on them (which clearly hasn't helped their cause and may well be the reason for the failure to begin with), many don't as well.

We always tell people to seriously consider installing a heat shield under their module so that the heat from the engine goes up and around (instead of through) the module and keep a close eye on both their batteries and their alternator(s).

Glad to have helped you out, jdw1!
Ed, mine is on its way from Jeremy at Empire Diesel down in Texas. I told him I had heard about you on this site. Funny stuff.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
SPONSOR

FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.
We'll be on the lookout for it! Thanks!!
2005 Excursion 6.0 PSD. RAS, 4" MBRP T409, Edge Insight CTS, ScanGauge II, coolant filter, DELO ELC, upgraded FICM from FICMrepair.com, SCT, blue spring upgrade, trans bypass filter, Rancho 9000XL's, SS ESOF lines, Rotella 5W40, Clifford Remote Start, Prodigy.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Senior User

fishintheobx has a good reputation on FTE.fishintheobx has a good reputation on FTE.fishintheobx has a good reputation on FTE.
132k on my 2005 and it's the original. The guys at Innovative taught me how to test it last time I was in there, and so far it's doing it's job. I'm sure it's days are numbered, but if it's not broken I'm not fixing.

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer / 4x4 / 6.0 PSD - Michelin 285's, Hellwig bar, Roadmaster Suspension, DFuser Coolant Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo-back w/ Cat delete, EGR delete, SCT Livewire TS, Innovative Street & Tow Tunes, Lubrication Engineers 5w-40
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen / 2.0 TDi - Banks 3" Exhaust
2002 Glacier Bay 240 Center Console - Twin Yamaha
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Virginia Chapter LDR

archtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputation
So far still on the stock one. Usually stays at 48v, on occasion it will fluctuate in the 47's with a quick dip to 46.5. Probably starting to die.
-Tim - Official Slackmaster #27
Excursion 2008 conversion Build threadl
Click here to Join The VA Chapter!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
So far still on the stock one. Usually stays at 48v, on occasion it will fluctuate in the 47's with a quick dip to 46.5. Probably starting to die.
No, yours is perfectly fine. 46.5v is within normal spec.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM