1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

95 Ranger Weird clutch problem

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
jlhardwick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Ranger Weird clutch problem

When ever i am at a complete stop, i have to hold down the clutch pedal for about 4 seconds before it will go into any gear. If i'm in motion it shifts flawlessly through all gears. But if i stop and put it into neutral and let off the clutch, the next time i push it down it will take about 4 seconds to slide in any gear including reverse. I just bought the truck a few days ago so i don't know its history but everything seems well maintained. Can someone let me know what this is and if it will cause major issues down the line?

1995 Ranger XLT 2.3L SOHC 2WD 5spd 169,000 miles.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. This is a great site for help with your Ranger. A couple of suggestions:

1. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder. If it is low, replenish with brake fluid.

2. With the gearshift lever in neutral, quickly depress the clutch pedal and also quickly try shifting into reverse. Do the gears grind/clash? If so, the most likely culprit is a slave cylinder that is going bad. Look under the clutch housing for a possible fluid drip.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
jlhardwick
New User
I checked the master cylinder, it was about 1/3 low so i filled it. I also depressed the clutch pedal quickly tried shifting into reverse from neutral. i did it twice and it grinded both times. So if it is the slave cylinder, is this the worse of it or what is there more to come? Also, if i wait a while to fix it (money issues) can it damage anything else down there and potently compound the price to repair it?
Thank you!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those who have had this problem find that the problem will gradually get worse. In the short term, as you are coming to a stop, shift into 1st gear before the truck is completely stopped. This way the only time you have a difficult time getting into 1st gear is when you have started the engine or forgot to get into 1st gear before you have stopped.

At some time you will have to bite the bullet and replace the slave cylinder. This will involve removing the transmission. Those who have made this repair have replaced the clutch master cylinder at the same time.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You may be able to extend the life of the slave/master by having the fluid flushed. Doing this proceedure every couple of years will greatly extend the service of these items, but if it has never been done, it may not be quite as helpful in the long term.

If the fluid in the resevoir is dark/black looking, it's time to perform this. The fluid should be almost clear.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
jlhardwick
New User
This there anything else it can be besides the slave cylinder? I'm asking because if I'm down there changing it out, I don't want to find out later it wasn't it. If I'm dropping the tranny, I might well replace anything else it may be. again, it only happens when I shift to a gear from neutral after letter off the clutch pedal. It takes about 3-5 seconds to slide into gear. It feels like something is blocking it for those few seconds.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would agree with the others that it's the slave cylinder - the only thing I would suggest would be make sure you're familiar with the bleeding procedure before swapping it out... If you're going to do the slave, you might as well do the whole clutch...

I have this problem while trying to shift into 1st - I've found that if I shift into 2nd first, then 1st, it goes in with very little problem...

With over 124k on the ticker, I'm sure my clutch is in dire need of attention - I'm sure the slave cylinder is going out - I keep having to add fluid to the reservoir every so often...

I just recently had a major fluid service done on Lil' Red and it seems to shift a bit better with fresh fluid - maybe try that first to see if it makes any difference...

Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
LastStarfighter
Senior User
so here me out on this and maybe someone smarter then me can chime it.

Your synchros in the tranny are wearing out. Before Synchros were used you had to double clutch the transmission. Which is clutch, then shift out of gear, let go of clutch, rev the engine to get the tranny rollin to the right RPMs, clutch, then shift into said gear. Synchros make it where you don't have to double clutch. Synchros made it where you didn't have to get the transmission at the right RPM before clutching and shifting into the right gear.

You have to wait for the transmission and engine to be in the right place RPM wise before shifting into first. When you press the clutch the shaft of the tranny slows down a little cause its not engaged to the engine anymore and then when it does, bammo you can shift into first

Best bet is change the fluid, then change it again in like 500 miles or something. Synchros wear out, they are what save the gears. But good fluid make them synchronize much smoother.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM
LastStarfighter
Senior User
Originally Posted by michigan66
Welcome to FTE. This is a great site for help with your Ranger. A couple of suggestions:

1. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder. If it is low, replenish with brake fluid.

2. With the gearshift lever in neutral, quickly depress the clutch pedal and also quickly try shifting into reverse. Do the gears grind/clash? If so, the most likely culprit is a slave cylinder that is going bad. Look under the clutch housing for a possible fluid drip.
You are not supposed to shift into reverse quickly. The manual says you have to wait 3-4 seconds after engaging the clutch. Reverse and sometimes first do not have synchros in some trannys cause you are supposed to be stopped when you shift into them. The 5 speed mazda tranny does on first but I don't know about reverse so shifting into it quickly that could cause damage and the manual says its a NO NO.

Check the manual, for your manual... LOL

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Flushing the clutch fluid, and changing the trans oil made a huge difference on my B2300.
2 services that *should* be done every so-often, but are frequently neglected.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM
jlhardwick
New User
I really appreciate the help. I am going to flush my tranny and see if it helps. If my synchos are wearing out, what should i look for to see if it gets worse?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM
LastStarfighter
Senior User
Originally Posted by jlhardwick
I really appreciate the help. I am going to flush my tranny and see if it helps. If my synchos are wearing out, what should i look for to see if it gets worse?
When you drain your fluid look at the plug. Its magnetic and there will be sludge on it. Squeeze the sludge between your fingers, it should be gritty but no large particles. No worries then you know. The transmission is going to wear and new fluid will do it a world of good. I got 400,000 on my manual, original clutch, original slave and master. Change the fluid, take good care of it.

As your synchros age it will get harder and harder to push into gear except when the rpm's of the engine and the tranny are perfectly matched. It will develop a sweet spot where it wants to shift. Thats how mine is. I dunno, maybe I baby mine too much but i can feel even the slightest thing off when shifting a manual, thats why I love a stick.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 AM
Burchie
New User
93 Ford Ranger

Replaced clutch, master cylinder, throw out bearing, & reservoir. Now the clip keeps popping off the line. What causes this?