6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 gear indicator light not showing f350 4x4 spartan tuned 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM
brad484
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 6.4 gear indicator light not showing f350 4x4 spartan tuned 350

okay so I have a problem with my. 2008 6.4 powerstroke with the gear selector light not coming on causing a no start i can make the light come on by rocking the truck in park and then the light will come on and sometimes it will allow me to start the truck other times I have to put in neutral and push down the road maybe about 10 feet till the neutral light comes on and then it will start when the light on the gear selector come on and when light is off I have the anti theft lock light coming on preventing the the truck from starting once i go threw this process and get the truck started my instrument cluster goes nuts and comes back on and off for a few miles then its fine and after the truck warms up and gets driven ten miles or so dont have any problems can shut truck off starts right back up no gear indcator light problems but if i leave it off for more then ten minutes same problems all over again im lost everything seems to be tight and secure on shift lever and on tranny

Please help need some ideas on what step to take next any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by brad484
okay so I have a problem with my. 2008 6.4 powerstroke with the gear selector light not coming on causing a no start i can make the light come on by rocking the truck in park and then the light will come on and sometimes it will allow me to start the truck other times I have to put in neutral and push down the road maybe about 10 feet till the neutral light comes on and then it will start when the light on the gear selector come on and when light is off I have the anti theft lock light coming on preventing the the truck from starting once i go threw this process and get the truck started my instrument cluster goes nuts and comes back on and off for a few miles then its fine and after the truck warms up and gets driven ten miles or so dont have any problems can shut truck off starts right back up no gear indcator light problems but if i leave it off for more then ten minutes same problems all over again im lost everything seems to be tight and secure on shift lever and on tranny

Please help need some ideas on what step to take next any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Did this issue happen after you tuned the truck or changed tunes?
These trucks can have issues if you have low voltage or voltage gets low tuning the PCM, i have seen the issue range from a corrupt tune to a failed PCM or failed TCM. If you interrupt the tuning process after all the modules are erased you will generally fry the TCM or damage the PCM. I only bring this up because what you are describing is the symptoms of such an event.

If none of these are the case i would hook a battery charger to the truck, return the truck to stock them re program the truck and see if that cures the problem, the tune file might have become corrupt causing an issue. If that does not fix it he TCM might be going out causing your issue but there is usually a loss of communication error code when this happens. Are there any codes present, be sure to check the generic and the ford specific.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 PM
brad484
New User
Yes this problem start to happen about a week after i installed the spartan tuner and i have tried to move around to diffrent settings and different tunes but havent tried putting stock tune on truck cause i dont have the old dpf/cat pipes on truck so only have messed with the delete tunes and doesnt change anything still have same symptoms on any delete tune i run also i have some check engine light problems. Cant remeber excact code but it was a lost communication with instrement cluster and abs codes saying lost communication with abs system but it only does this a few times will driving my gauges will flutter and turn off those codes will come on and some times lock me out from reading any codes saying key wasnt on while truck was running and i would lose cruise control

Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by brad484
Yes this problem start to happen about a week after i installed the spartan tuner and i have tried to move around to diffrent settings and different tunes but havent tried putting stock tune on truck cause i dont have the old dpf/cat pipes on truck so only have messed with the delete tunes and doesnt change anything still have same symptoms on any delete tune i run also i have some check engine light problems. Cant remeber excact code but it was a lost communication with instrement cluster and abs codes saying lost communication with abs system but it only does this a few times will driving my gauges will flutter and turn off those codes will come on and some times lock me out from reading any codes saying key wasnt on while truck was running and i would lose cruise control

Sounds like your issue is the PCM or the TCM. Of the two the TCM has more failures then the PCM which can cause similar issues you are having.

I would still try to return it to stock even without the DPF, its not going to hurt any thing. It will bring the base tune back and we can look at the codes. A few codes will be present with out the emission equipment but the root issue may become more transparent. Then you can try to retune to a non DPF tune. Return to stock and the first re-tune after going back to stock can take 30 mins so make sure you have enough time. If you have issues going back to stock you may have to email Spartan and get a recovery file to get back to stock.

The new PCM and TCM are not cheap, you would probably be better to find a used one within your job build for a replacement if necessary. Talk to tech support at spartan they should be able to walk you through this process and get you going again.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:40 PM
brad484
New User
okay I will try to return the truck and see how it goes from there will keep you posted still kind of wondering how the TCM or PCM could have gotten damaged a week after installing the spartan also was wondering How after everything starts working again after the truck is warmed up and its been driven everything works correctly But computers are weird lol thanks again let me see what happens after so re tuning also we going back to stock files the spartan ask me to start the truck i can do this wit with out the stock exhuast on truck or dont start it and just immediately re tune back to a delete tune

Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Yes , it will start with no issue.

I should clarify CEL will come on which is not an issue to just start it, driving it like this will cause issues but just starting it won't

Old 08-25-2020, 02:48 PM
bstanz1
New User
Have you solved this?
I have the same truck and programmer and very similar issues.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:02 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The PCM won’t allow the engine to crank unless it knows it’s in park or neutral. Have a scanner of some kind? Access the TCM and check if is reading shifter position. Then we can see if we’re looking at a cluster issue or neutral safety switch.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 AM
codylt1
New User
Originally Posted by bstanz1
Have you solved this?
I have the same truck and programmer and very similar issues.
check your speed sensors on the transmission.. had the same issues and unplugging them one at a time while someone is watching the indicator on the dash is how I found out which one was bad