Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Senior User

gilllawn is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
2005 F250 Super Duty 5r110w Problem

I have an 05 F 250 super duty with the Triton in it. When I shift either into overdrive or reverse the transmission hesitates (does not go into either gear for about 5 to 10 seconds). After that it engages and it's fine. It does not appear to be slipping or acting up regardless of temperature or speed. Sometimes it will sort of engage and than bang into gear solid. I do not have any check engine lights. Not sure if the PCM has any codes. So I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a complete rebuild or if I have a valve / solenoid body problem. Any help would be appreciated. Where do I start?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Gear Head

jk080 has a very good reputation on FTE.jk080 has a very good reputation on FTE.jk080 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Fluid level?

Master Certified Transmission Rebuilder of 27 years of all Makes and Models
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Senior User

gilllawn is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Fluid Level

Fluid level is right on the money. I actually dropped the pan but didn't find any metal schillings or anything abnormal. Change the filter and pan gasket and added about 9 quarts back in. In addition, I put some Trans X in it just to see if that would clear up a possible sticking solenoid however it did not make a difference.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Junior User

fordfarmer12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilllawn View Post
I have an 05 F 250 super duty with the Triton in it. When I shift either into overdrive or reverse the transmission hesitates (does not go into either gear for about 5 to 10 seconds). After that it engages and it's fine. It does not appear to be slipping or acting up regardless of temperature or speed. Sometimes it will sort of engage and than bang into gear solid. I do not have any check engine lights. Not sure if the PCM has any codes. So I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a complete rebuild or if I have a valve / solenoid body problem. Any help would be appreciated. Where do I start?
I have the same problem with my 05 Triton as well. It normally doesnt last quite that long, maybe 3 or 4 seconds, but definatley longer than it should take. Ive never changed the fliud and I have 118,000 on on the truck so I'm wondering if the fluid just needs changed, its starting to get a little thick but not too bad, or if its another issue.

P.S. How hard is it to change the ATF?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The 5R110 is VERY sensitive to fluid. If the fluid gets old or has particles in it the solenoids will get contaminated and stick. Then you can get all sorts of issues, including 5-10 second engagements.

Change the fluid and it might get better. If there is enough contamination in the solenoids the only fix is to replace the solenoids.

It isn't hard to change the fluid, as long as you have a heated flush machine handy. If you don't, it's really hard. There is an internal thermostat that will get in your way if the trans is cooler than 170°F.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM