Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
New User

mudslinger83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Long crank time on 6.0L diesel

New to the site and would like to say sorry in advance as I am sure this same question has been asked numerous times.I own a 2005 f-250 with a 6L diesel and within the last week have noticed it takes longer cranking time for engine to start and within the last couple days when I try to start it the engine will crank and then it will start to crank faster like its going to start then it will fire up sounds like a low rpm for maybe a 1 second then runs fine. I have also noticed that in the mornings when I start the truck it will puff out very little white smoke for a second then clears up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior User

6.0techwannabe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger83 View Post
New to the site and would like to say sorry in advance as I am sure this same question has been asked numerous times.I own a 2005 f-250 with a 6L diesel and within the last week have noticed it takes longer cranking time for engine to start and within the last couple days when I try to start it the engine will crank and then it will start to crank faster like its going to start then it will fire up sounds like a low rpm for maybe a 1 second then runs fine. I have also noticed that in the mornings when I start the truck it will puff out very little white smoke for a second then clears up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Its very hard to say without a scanner hooked up. You need to see the oil psi when cranking. It might be beggining to develope a internal oil leak,low ficm voltage,injector stiction,more symptoms would occur with some of these ive mentioned. Has som1 u know have a auto enginuity scanner? There is just no guessing. Guessing can get expensive very quick. Were are you located? If your close to alabama,i could diagnos it for ya,no charge. Im **** about my truck,if it stumbles or farts diffrent,im tearin the motor down. Theres nothin wrong with paying to much attention to your truck. It saves money
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
New User

mudslinger83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah I guess I am going to have to find a good mechanic that I trust. Wish I lived close to you but Illinois is just to damn far from Alabama. haha Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
If you like turning your own wrenches and want to start self diagnosing, a ScanGauge ($) or AutoEngenuity ($$$$$) combined with the guys down in the 6.0L forum will almost definitely solve any problem you can come up with.

6.0L Engine Forum
ScanGauge II Automotive Computer

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM