1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

So I was thinking..... (lift question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Bump187
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I was thinking..... (lift question)

I have not fully investigated it under my truck (84 F-250HD 460 4x4) yet, but I was thinking about a simple way to get a couple inches of lift. I dont want to do body lift because of the flat bed and bumper mods I have already done for the bed. In the rear, the easiest way is a couple inches worth of lift blocks. easy bolt in.

The front is usually a different story (with any truck I have had before) because its either coil springs, torsion bar, etc. BUT..... my F250 has leafs up front. Is there any reason a guy cant use a couple inches worth of lift blocks there too? Safety concerns with blocks on a steering axel? I don't know, couldn't really think of any reason not to.... 2" lift blocks and maybe some steering linkage mods.

Anyone been down this road before?

Edit.... Also want to add, I am just looking for a little lift to clear 35" tires. Is 2" enough? Will it clear 33" tires as it sits stock?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

Been done before, very bad idea. Steering axles tend to spit the blocks out, as they are subject to different forces than a rear axle.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Bump187
Senior User
Being on the steering axle was my only thought of concern. Good to know.

So to lift a leaf sprung front end, do you use bigger shackles? Also, how far can you lift with out having to modify steering components?

Again, I'm just looking for a simple (not necessarily cheaply) couple inches for a bit more tire clearance.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there's one reason I can think of, it's illegal. That and it's real dangerous.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Bump187
Senior User
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Well there's one reason I can think of, it's illegal. That and it's real dangerous.
Please elaborate (for purposes of educating my dumb @$$). I have never had a leaf sprung front end before (was actually surprised to see this truck was). Have ever only lifted coil sprung or torsion bar front ends. and in those cases, lift blocks are perfectly acceptable in the rear.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

How much lift? I hear (but never seen it confirmed) that a TTB is "align-able" up to 2". That being the case, either longer shackles or maybe an extra leaf spring. I may have a 4" lift going up for sale soon if/when my D60 gets installed under my 84. Then all you'd new is a drop pitman arm

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

Oh, also...F250's usually clear 35x12.50's in stock form. Idk about wider tires tho

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Well there's one reason I can think of, it's illegal.
Can you elaborate on this, Keith? And provide a link to some sort of official documentation describing this?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Sid138
Freshman User
I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most states as well, but I wouldn't bet my life on this, or bet my life on the axle staying under those blocks during a sudden stop....which is why I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most states.

Don't use extended shackles to gain two inches of lift. The shackle you use would need to be 4" to gain 2" of lift, and your truck will corner like crap.

However, you could use an add-a-leaf, good shocks and a 2" HD shackle if necessary.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Can you elaborate on this, Keith? And provide a link to some sort of official documentation describing this?

You'd have to check with your local Motor Vehicle Department, because I believe it's a state regulation, but from what I understand it is illegal in almost all 50 states. It is in reference to solid front axles and does not allow any form of lift blocks between the spring and axle. It is a safety issue because of the stress involved is turning and maneuvering. Block can become dislodged and cause the front suspension and steering to fail. Lift blocks have even been known to shatter and/or completely come out when used on the front.

Let me do some checking and I'll see if can find the documentation on this, don't know it off the top of my head.

Here's a link to a good article on lift blocks. 4x4 Front Lift Blocks - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

Michigan. Bumpers; Height Limitations; Lift Blocks; Prohibited Modifications; Construction of Section; Applicability; Definitions - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 257.710c - Michigan Attorney Resources - Michigan Laws

Virginia.
§ 46.2-1064. Modification of front-end suspension by use of lift blocks.
No motor vehicle whose front-end suspension has been modified by the use of lift blocks shall be driven on any highway in the Commonwealth.
(1985, c. 11, § 46.1-282.2; 1989, c. 727.)

West Virginia.
§17C-15-48. Alteration of motor vehicles; bumper height limits; other modifications; exceptions; required inspection; and rules of division of public safety.

Section (b), last sentence:
"Modification of the front end suspension by the use of lift blocks is expressly prohibited

These are the one's I can find with a quick search. I'll see if I can find more.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Dave804
Postmaster

Here's the Virginia law. About 20 years ago they played catch up with NHTSA and emissions standards and started getting intense on inspections. At that point people were doing large rubber deals with solid bolts or brackets through them body to frame. Still these couldn't hold up like a real frame would. Still see guys trying to pull this on homade franken vehicles. See a lot of mustang, suzuki, firebird, and mercedes bodies on a big 4x4 frame.

Virginia Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Bump187
Senior User
Good info. Atleast we have come to the conclusion that, whether you could "sneak it by" or not, its just not a good idea.

You mentioned that a stock height F250 4x4 will clear 35x12.5" tires? If thats the case I dont necessarily need the lift. That would be the biggest tires I would ever want on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
OK, thanks for the links, you guys.

I generally use THIS and THIS sites but couldn't find anything pertinent on it about lift blocks, so I had to ask.

Just want to keep from spreading FUD.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Dave804
Postmaster

I forgot one more reason (other than the cab coming loose on turns hahah) that blocks are a no go in Va. Most of our lift hight laws are based on bumper to ground. So on our trucks you can have the frame at 30 inches, then lift the body and cut fenders to fit larger tires.

Bump- blucollar is right. My single cab f250 is wearing 31's right now. There's an almost comical amount of clearance between them and any point on the truck. Looks like a mud right with 15in. thrown on to get it on the trailer. Unless it's very wide or getting a lot of suspension flex I think I 35 should be fine.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

And if you sawzall the "body line" on the fender, you can run 38x12.50's, although that's just silly...but seriously, even 36's will fit ok, unless you're wheeling it over some rough terrain.

Try 35's with no lift...makes dodge and Chev guys jealous

Quick Reply: So I was thinking..... (lift question)