6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Got an oil change coupon

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got an oil change coupon

From my dealership today - Oil and filter change special plus tire rotation for $89.95. Regularly $129.95. The first two (and only, so far) oil changes were free, so do these numbers seem right? It's not even synthetic oil, from what I can tell.

With my '06 (may she RIP), I would buy the synthetic I wanted and then take it to a different dealership for the change and to get it checked out, that was only about $30.

So it would seem that the non-synthetic oil change would be cheaper. Maybe it's the filter, too.

What do y'all think? Deal or no deal?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
That seems to be the going rate around here at our local Ford garage.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
From my dealership today - Oil and filter change special plus tire rotation for $89.95. Regularly $129.95. The first two (and only, so far) oil changes were free, so do these numbers seem right? It's not even synthetic oil, from what I can tell.

With my '06 (may she RIP), I would buy the synthetic I wanted and then take it to a different dealership for the change and to get it checked out, that was only about $30.

So it would seem that the non-synthetic oil change would be cheaper. Maybe it's the filter, too.

What do y'all think? Deal or no deal?
2horses,

I am not sure if it the same deal - but when I got my 2011 - Ford sent me that Fordowner.com card - I did register & they have those kind of deals at the dealer... Mine being the 6.2 it is "the Works" rotate & oil change, check brakes, battery, etc.
I am not sure if this is what you are looking at - although for the diesel. I did see one for diesel and that price sounds like the same..

If it is the same - mine says (in small print) up to 5 qts. If that is the case - they will charge you more than it says. Also, Be aware - my dealership doesn't have a code for this - so they punch it in & it always comes out a good bit more. And to top that, one day a service writer called & told me that my truck was 8 lugs not 5 and that would be $5/wheel extra..

But the service/part manager is almost a neighbor up at the ranch so I have no problem getting him to fix the bill...

Just be aware of the pitfalls - good luck...

Byram

Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,561 Likes on 730 Posts
My dealer charges $79 for a regular oil change. Tire rotation is extra. So $89 for both is OK deal.

Make sure you sign up for the Ford Owner advantage. Every 5th Oil change is FREE. So four oil changes at the $79 ( or in your case $89) and the 5th oil change is free. Ford tacks it in their computer that the dealer sees.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Painted Horse
My dealer charges $79 for a regular oil change. Tire rotation is extra. So $89 for both is OK deal.

Make sure you sign up for the Ford Owner advantage. Every 5th Oil change is FREE. So four oil changes at the $79 ( or in your case $89) and the 5th oil change is free. Ford tacks it in their computer that the dealer sees.
Yea, Forgot to mention that.......

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the owner advantage stuff going on and have credit for the two oil changes I've received so far. I also checked the coupon and no fine print about limiting quarts, it is specifically for diesels so one has to assume it's for at least the thirteen we need - although the fine print does say, "Some models may be slightly higher." WTH?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Byram
2horses,

. And to top that, one day a service writer called & told me that my truck was 8 lugs not 5 and that would be $5/wheel extra..

Just be aware of the pitfalls - good luck...

Byram
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder if they counted the number of turns it takes to remove the oil filter!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
When I got my truck, I got coupons in the mail for 1 or 2 free oil changes. So I drive all the way back to the dealership for my first oil change without reading the fine print - it was only good up to 5 qts. or something along those lines. They wanted another $30-40 extra for the 6.7L. I told them no thanks and started changing it myself - costs me about $50, I don't have to wait around at the dealership, and I know it's done right.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got 6 free oil changes from my dealer. Guess I got a pretty good deal...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'd say that's a good deal. My first oil change was $107.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you can do your own oil change for that price with Mobil1 5w40 full syn. and be the baddest chick in texas at the same time.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 AM
mrjc
Senior User
I get the coupons from our Ford Dealer here and use them. $59.95 and a penny tire rotation. After tax and "shop fee" it is 70 bucks. We have a quick lane for oil changes (2 hours) Ask your dealer if they add a shop fee (to dispose of the oil and rags). That might put your 80 dollar oil change at 100. 13 qts @ $4.50 a qt and filter for 15 bucks would be worth it to have the dealer do it. For my old 6.0L the coupon was worth it! Still have not gotten to 2K miles yet, but was thinking of buying a maint coupon book they sell here with oil changes and other maint stuff in it. The diesel oil changes average out to 40 bucks. Just suspicious. I take it since you have not heard "clicking noises" after your oil change your dealer put the correct amount of oil in? They make them smarter in Texas. Mike

Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
you can do your own oil change for that price with Mobil1 5w40 full syn. and be the baddest chick in texas at the same time.
Doing her own oil change or not - 2horses has already proved to be pretty tough - read her posts - awards for breaking colts - I broke colts & lots of them years ago & to doing it right is a lot of work and sometimes just a little pain

Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Then doin an oil change should be a piece of cake.

Last dealer oil change i had was on my 6.4...took it in for rear diff fluid and trans fluid and told em i didnt need oil change as it was just done less than 1k miles prior(Mobil1 full syn of course). Well they mistakenly changed my oil (didnt charge for the mistake), didnt use a new crush gasket (flipped it) and didnt properly torque the drain plug (which i noticed when i saw oil on my driveway during my daily walk around inspection-grrr).

Shops (dealer or not) get paid by jobs, not attention to detail. Sure, sometimes you get lucky and find both. But most often, the work is done as quick as possible to get you out and the next guy in. Its a vicious cycle. The worst is a friday afternoon with a worker that hates his job and wants to go home.

I do as much as i can myself and take my time and am as meticulous as possible. And if i screw the pooch, i take full responsibility and learn from it.

Plus these trucks are super easy to do basic preventative maintenance like oil, filters, etc..

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Two years ago the local dealer up here charged me $69.99 to do an oil change on my 6.4L truck. This truck took two more quarts of oil and used a more expensive oil filter than the 6.7L engine does. I guess it depends on the area you live at though. My first oil change on my 6.7L truck was free courtesy of a warranty turbo replacement!

And I also advocate changing your own if it makes financial sense to. Not always the case I guess...my wife's Toyota requires full synthetic oil and with the oil and filters from Wal-Mart it would cost me $46 to change. The Toyota dealer charges $49.99 and includes a car wash with the service, so it makes no sense for me to do it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an oil change coupon