Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Senior User

DGMFORD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DGMFORD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2005 F250 SD 6.0 Diesel

My 250 is giving me crap again. I seem to go through this ever 8 to 12 months. It's warm here now in Texas and I don't expect to have this issue until winter.

When I start the truck for the first time, (sitting over night) the truck will turn over, hit for a split second, and then it dies. The only way I can get it to start is if I hold the gas pedal down. Then once it starts, it runs like crap until it warms up about 10 to 15 minutes before it start to run good.

At times it will blow out white smoke for a couple minutes as well.

The kicker here is if I plug it in overnight, it will start right up and run like a top. The last time I had it into ford, they said my batteries were bad and they flashed the injector module, the truck ran good for a few months and now we are back to square one.

The one thing I had thought of was the starter. If the starter is not spinning the engine fast enough would that cause this issue? I don’t think the starter has ever been changed, which may have been the reason after changing the batteries that it helped for a while. The other thing I thought of was oil, I currently use Fords 15W40. I read a post where they were using the 10W30 Diesel oil. I would only think that would make a difference in colder weather.

Thanks fficeffice" />>>
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
What is the FICM voltage?
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Senior User

DGMFORD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DGMFORD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good question, not sure what that is or how to test it, is that the Fuel Injection Control Module?
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Yes it is; the FICM basically turns 12V to 48V and fires the injectors, sagging voltage (from blown components sometimes caused by an aggressive inductive heating strategy) burns out the board, and the truck runs like crap.

FICM test procedure:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89...procedure.html

You can also buy an OBDII monitor like a ScanGauge (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AAMY86/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=), Edge Insight CS or CTS, DashDaq, AutoEngenuity to read the FICM Voltage without having to crawl under the hood.

Less than 45V at any point from cranking to running, call ed at FICMrepair.com and see if he can fix your unit, and maybe change the flash out on it to one of the better inductive heating strategies (or none at all).

Just an FYI, holding the pedal down doesn't do anything, the PCM will ignore the input and follow it's programming. This is probably a FICM issue because it runs rough until it warms up and plugging it in seems to help, but if it's been on-going for awhile you could have killed an injector along the way. Does the white smoke smell like diesel? And are you growing any oil in the crankcase? Because fuel dilution can cause serious engine problems, so make sure your oil level is correct.

The starter probably isn't a problem, because the way the glowplugs pull current the truck runs on batteries for up to 120 seconds every start cycle. During that time the batteries are getting hammered, and the FICM might be sagging trying to pull enough amps out of them to fire the injectors. They aren't deep cycle batteries, so drawn out high current draw will kill them faster than normal car batteries, and the FICM will suffer for it.

Also, 5W40 diesel-rated oil is preferred, it'll help cut down on the rough starts because the oil side of the injectors will flow better when you start it. Most guys won't run 10W30, since the 6.0L injectors shear the oil you'll have to go to a more frequent oil change interval to keep the viscosity from falling too far down.

I'd recommend that you check the FICM voltage, switch to 5W40, and change your fuel filters if they haven't been changed in the last 10k. Buy the ScanGauge and start reading the 6.0L tech folder and you'll get it squared away.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Senior User

I found this post, will do some further research and test the FICM. Thanks for the tip. Any other ideas, please let me know. thanks again.
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnclave777 View Post
You are really facing a critical issue with your F250 most of the same model face such problems.................
what does that mean?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
what does that mean?
That was a spammer from India. He's gone bye-bye now.

Carry on.

To the OP, I've moved your thread to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum for better assistance.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the info, I will start looking into this problem this weekend. Also I plan on changing to the 5W40 and see if that helps as well.

thanks again.
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior User

I tested the FICM at Key On and have 48.4 volts, I was unable to test while starting as I was by my self. I will test as soon as I can find a helper. She wont start at all now, just hits once or twice and dies. Could this be the High Presure Oil pump? or possibly pluged fuel filters?
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior User

Guys, still working on the Diesel, are there any scan tools that will check the High Presure Oil pump output? And has anyone used the Auto Enginuity PC scan tool?

Thanks
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
AE scan tool seems to be the favorite here. clay at riffraff a PM or call him hes the sight sponser that I know sales it.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Here is what you will need, and you will find out that it is very useful. I got mine from Riffraff as well, best price I could find and got it in 2 days with free shipping. Looks like they are still offering the free shipping as well.

Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Senior User

Thanks, I sent him a message.
2001 F150 Super Crew
1955 F100
1967 Mustang
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Hi,
DGMFORD
It might be a good time to check the batteries . Bad batteries in the cold
only do worse. Also check the cables for any corrosion.
On a cold day in March I got dumped in a parking lot on the overnight test drive.
Sales man said sorry. I said "No problem BUT you will replace the bad cables"
They did..
So while you have some time and if you have a ride that you can use take the batteries
in to a shop and have them tested.

Good luck
Sean
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
There is a no-start checklist in the Tech Folder.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM