6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How do I break in a new 2012 F-350 6.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Indigofarm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take Er easy first 500 then drive it like you would use it. Diesels like to be under load. Sort of like a horse. Happier if turned loose and not constrained.

Almost derby week. Crank Er up and let Er run

Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
post #13 is especially good

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
jetflyr
New User
Originally Posted by smallcandle
Seems like the manual states to not tow during the first 500 miles. Might be a good idea to refer to your manual and check for sure.
I read that in the manual too. I got my 2012 the other day after being stranded when my '97 tranny left us stranded in Johnson City TN with a 32 foot 5th wheel. I had to tow it to TX. I figure I got a good 1200 miles of breaking it in. We'll see how it goes.... Have fun when you get your truck. I was amazed at the power difference, space and amenities. I had a BIG SMILE driving all the way home with that truck!!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this for real!? Just drive the damn thing.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Refer to post 13...

Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 AM
mr.tnqbr
New User
break in

Hi Gus,,

I have a question after reading tuxedos post. I have a new 2012 f350 6.7L. Been driving it around town an put about a 100mi. round trip on it today. It has 450 miles on it now. Just regular driving. Does that mean I've don damage to the motor? Should I start with tuxedos plan now? Just wondering if the easy driving and freeway miles have hurt it?

Thank you

Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 AM
mr.tnqbr
New User
break in

Hi guys,

I have a new 6.7L f350. It has 450 mi. On it. I've just been driving it regular and put about 100 freeway miles on it today. Does that mean Ive damaged the motor? Wondering if I should start with tuxedos plan now or would it help?
Thank you

Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr.tnqbr
Hi guys,

I have a new 6.7L f350. It has 450 mi. On it. I've just been driving it regular and put about 100 freeway miles on it today. Does that mean Ive damaged the motor? Wondering if I should start with tuxedos plan now or would it help?
Thank you
Hi mr.

Welcome to FTE and congrats on the new truck.

I'm going to bet that you are probably going to be ok. There is some good info in the previous posts. I wouldn't get all hung up and freak out about it. Read your owners manual that applies to your engine and operate within those boundaries.

Do you tow/haul anything or plan on it in the future?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
mr.tnqbr
New User
break in

Thanks Ron. I always tell people its a good thing I'm so good looking, because I wouldn't have gotten this far in life on brains. I went through the whole book. Don't know how i missed that. I traded in a '02 7.3L with 100k that looked like it just came off the showroom floor. Inside and out. Very well maintained. Never over 3k on an oil change. I broke that truck in the same way and never had any isues but the best mpg I ever had was 14. Your correct about the freaking out part. Good call and thanks for relieving the stress. Yes. I bought a 28' jayco eagle. 8000 lbs. dry. I was going to hook it up at 1k. So I've duduced, Ime going to drive it in tow/haul mode, be a little more agressive with it, if im on the freeway try to vary the speed and hook up the trailer at 1k and gradually give it the boot. Any other advice?
Thank you,
Mark

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,549 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Mark, Welcome to FTE and the group.

Drive it like you stole it...... Just joking of course.

Have fun with your new truck. There mint for work so get out there and work it once in a while. Your doing fine.

Cheers

Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 AM
mr.tnqbr
New User
Thanks Tim, kinda funny. I took my '02 in for service and looked at the specs on the new trucks and had to have it. I came home and told the old lady I went in for an oil change and that she had to come look at the way it came out. She came out and asked if they washed it. Lol I should have married a blonde.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr.tnqbr
Thanks Ron. I always tell people its a good thing I'm so good looking, because I wouldn't have gotten this far in life on brains. I went through the whole book. Don't know how i missed that. I traded in a '02 7.3L with 100k that looked like it just came off the showroom floor. Inside and out. Very well maintained. Never over 3k on an oil change. I broke that truck in the same way and never had any isues but the best mpg I ever had was 14. Your correct about the freaking out part. Good call and thanks for relieving the stress. Yes. I bought a 28' jayco eagle. 8000 lbs. dry. I was going to hook it up at 1k. So I've duduced, Ime going to drive it in tow/haul mode, be a little more agressive with it, if im on the freeway try to vary the speed and hook up the trailer at 1k and gradually give it the boot. Any other advice?
Thank you,
Mark
Mark, hahaha on the good looking thing. You and me could be brothers.

You can experiment with the tow/haul feature. What it does is change your up-shift points in the tranny to force the engine to stay in a higher rpm range. That usually works pretty good when you're pulling a hill or want some extra grunt to stay in the power band. The downside is that it also negatively affects the fuel mileage. When in tow/haul mode and going downhill, you can step on the brake pedal and it will force a downshift in the tranny, thus helping you slow down. Step on it again and yep, you guessed it, another forced downshift. You also have a feature called, Integrated Exhaust Brake. You need to be in tow/haul mode for this feature to work also. It is Ford's version of an engine brake. While it is effective, it does leave something to be desired. It is not as effective as I would like, but, I think it does help hold you back when going downhill. I also put mine in tow/haul mode when towing in congested traffic or town driving to give me that little extra edge when some jerk pulls over in front of you and decides to hit the brakes.

Have fun and make sure you post up some pictures. We're kinda like a bunch of lonely grandparents. We want to see some pics. There is a tutorial at the top of the forum page explaining the process. Again, welcome aboard.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
mr.tnqbr
New User
pics

You want to see pics of me? Or my truck? Lol back to that good looking thing. Lol. Will doo sounds fun.

Thank you again,
Mark

Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,053 Likes on 2,212 Posts
Welcome to FTE mr.tnqbr!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM
mr.tnqbr
New User
oil

Hey guys, heres one for you. Just checked the oil. I can see it still has descosity but is very dark. My old truck didnt look like that after 3000 miles. Again the new truck only has 450 miles. Any ideas???????

Sorry to be a pest.
Mark

Quick Reply: How do I break in a new 2012 F-350 6.7L?