6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F350 6.4L Diesel NADA vs Dealer WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, I think I get it. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a load of dynamite and I'm riding along with a finger in each ear waiting for the explosion. Is that close to how you felt? I think I get that way from hanging on here and hearing all the scare stories from the newbies who come here looking for a cheap easy fix for a blown fuel system. We don't hear from the guys who are going trouble free.

So your truck had only 60K miles right. I guess you were like me, going to time out on the 5 years long before hitting 100K. I took care of that with a tuner and delete, so now I have no warranty and i don't have to worry about it. Still, the 25,000 dollars you spent is a lot of money. I could replace a lot of radiators for 25 large, and if your states like georgia you get to pay sales tax and all those other fees. BTW, what I meant by same technology was the DPF. I don't think Ford changed it for the scorpian. It's still pour the fuel in the two back cylinders and burn the soot. To me that technology is unacceptable. just mho.

Anyway, good luck with your scorpian, come back and visit sometimes and let us know how it's going..

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
between the forums, people i know with 6.4's, and talking to various service writers at various dealerships, i was very confident towing my trailers coast to coast. and the reason i went with the super duty is to have worry free, piece of mind confidence for many years. again, my neighbor has an 08 450, daily driver / work truck. takes meticulous care but has over 100k and been thru 3 radiators, 2 turbos, and alternator (with constant electrical issues ever since). he has spent in repairs nearly half of what i paid for my 6.4.... so yeah, no thanks there. im also a believer of stock and warranties. (for the most part). on my 6.7 i went with 100/yr bumper to bumper and switched to geico for their MBI coverage with also 100/7yrs. so i feel prettty darn covered now. oh and the 6.7 is amazing compared to the 6.4... cant even tell when it goes into active regen unless you happen to catch a glimpse of the dash message. also dont watch my fuel guage go down in active regen anymore which is awesome. the truck is overall smarter, more efficient and way smoother

Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
between the forums, people i know with 6.4's, and talking to various service writers at various dealerships, i was very confident towing my trailers coast to coast. and the reason i went with the super duty is to have worry free, piece of mind confidence for many years. again, my neighbor has an 08 450, daily driver / work truck. takes meticulous care but has over 100k and been thru 3 radiators, 2 turbos, and alternator (with constant electrical issues ever since). he has spent in repairs nearly half of what i paid for my 6.4.... so yeah, no thanks there. im also a believer of stock and warranties. (for the most part). on my 6.7 i went with 100/yr bumper to bumper and switched to geico for their MBI coverage with also 100/7yrs. so i feel prettty darn covered now. oh and the 6.7 is amazing compared to the 6.4... cant even tell when it goes into active regen unless you happen to catch a glimpse of the dash message. also dont watch my fuel guage go down in active regen anymore which is awesome. the truck is overall smarter, more efficient and way smoother
Sounds like you're extremely happy with your purchase. I hope she bring you years of great service and works hard for you.

We've talked about Geico's MBI in the past. I wonder if their are any limitations or if they'll be as picky as Ford is when it comes to service.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
nope there not i asked about the and they didnt even hesistate to say they covered it. yes im happy. i was pretty sure my turbo(s) were about to go out as they were makin some weird noise that wasnt normal and showing the signs if impending doom. also the black soot on the tailpipe and the occasional smoke were signs of not good things that most of us are far too familiar with

Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
...it may take a few years until the marginal diesel owners get out. You know, the guys who tow a HD motor cycle or a couple jet skis or a 26 ft travel trailer...
I LOVE this comment...so you have to tow a 17K pound Mobile Suite all over the country to be a REAL diesel owner? Please allow me to spin your statement with my own experience. (I hope you're sitting down as I know this will come as a complete shock to you!)

When I towed my enclosed car carrier trailer (8K pounds fully loaded with 4 bikes, tools, etc.) with my 6.0 Excursion I'd get around 12+ MPG. When I sold that and got my '07 Escalade ESV I could barely squeak 7 MPG, which translated into about 3 hours of driving, leaving me on fumes. Now I'm back to almost the same MPG level as the Excursion at 10 MPH faster, and while I don't have the same range of the Excursion (which had a 44-gallon tank) I can drive a full hour more and have plenty fuel left to comfortable look for a truck stop. Once I get a Titan 51-gallon tank installed, I'll have an additional 3-hours plus of additional highway cruising time.

So while there's plenty of 1/2-ton vehicles that are "capable" of towing my trailer, my choosing a 3/4 ton diesel truck doesn't make a "marginal" owner. And the previous scenario I mentioned doesn't include the Escalade's gasser engine screaming the entire time or the diesel's ability to handle the load better and drive more comfortably.

When I tow my other trailer, a 7x14 V-nose with 2 bikes; it's a joke; like it's not even there. Any gasser would likewise easily handle it, but with the towing I do with either trailer, owning a diesel is a no-brainer.

The problem is the casual diesel owner. The one who thinks that all they have to do is put "gas" in it. New diesels with EGR, DOC/DPF, Urea, etc. are NOT for someone that doesn't either (1) know what they're getting themselves into and/or (2) aren't willing to pay to maintain them. The people who don't drain their water separator monthly and wait until the droplet indicator glows yellow on their dashboard for a couple of months...etc. Sure the 6.4s have had their share of issues, but a lot of what we read here is worse case scenario. Multiple HPFPs, turbos, radiators, etc. They're the exception, not the rule, and two other factors significantly affect the manner in which those issues are handled; (1) the dealer's response to it and (2) whether or not the warranty is in effect. Compounding the second factor is the presence, if any, of aftermarket products.

The MMWA aside, the presence of aftermarket products on your truck doesn't automatically void your warranty (powertrain or otherwise), but an overzealous service writer can key your VIN into OASIS and void your warranty before you even know what hits you, and in order to undo that warranty void, you need Superman to flew around the Earth counterclockwise and reverse time.

A good relationship with your dealer/service writer/wrench will go a long way. It's a two-way street, don't expect Ford to pay for stuff you broke (by almost doubling the power output) and your dealer should readily cover anything that's legitimately within warranty. A CARB approved intake shouldn't void your powertrain warranty...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
I LOVE this comment...so you have to tow a 17K pound Mobile Suite all over the country to be a REAL diesel owner? Please allow me to spin your statement with my own experience. (I hope you're sitting down as I know this will come as a complete shock to you!)

When I towed my enclosed car carrier trailer (8K pounds fully loaded with 4 bikes, tools, etc.) with my 6.0 Excursion I'd get around 12+ MPG. When I sold that and got my '07 Escalade ESV I could barely squeak 7 MPG, which translated into about 3 hours of driving, leaving me on fumes. Now I'm back to almost the same MPG level as the Excursion at 10 MPH faster, and while I don't have the same range of the Excursion (which had a 44-gallon tank) I can drive a full hour more and have plenty fuel left to comfortable look for a truck stop. Once I get a Titan 51-gallon tank installed, I'll have an additional 3-hours plus of additional highway cruising time.

So while there's plenty of 1/2-ton vehicles that are "capable" of towing my trailer, my choosing a 3/4 ton diesel truck doesn't make a "marginal" owner. And the previous scenario I mentioned doesn't include the Escalade's gasser engine screaming the entire time or the diesel's ability to handle the load better and drive more comfortably.

When I tow my other trailer, a 7x14 V-nose with 2 bikes; it's a joke; like it's not even there. Any gasser would likewise easily handle it, but with the towing I do with either trailer, owning a diesel is a no-brainer.

The problem is the casual diesel owner. The one who thinks that all they have to do is put "gas" in it. New diesels with EGR, DOC/DPF, Urea, etc. are NOT for someone that doesn't either (1) know what they're getting themselves into and/or (2) aren't willing to pay to maintain them. The people who don't drain their water separator monthly and wait until the droplet indicator glows yellow on their dashboard for a couple of months...etc. Sure the 6.4s have had their share of issues, but a lot of what we read here is worse case scenario. Multiple HPFPs, turbos, radiators, etc. They're the exception, not the rule, and two other factors significantly affect the manner in which those issues are handled; (1) the dealer's response to it and (2) whether or not the warranty is in effect. Compounding the second factor is the presence, if any, of aftermarket products.

The MMWA aside, the presence of aftermarket products on your truck doesn't automatically void your warranty (powertrain or otherwise), but an overzealous service writer can key your VIN into OASIS and void your warranty before you even know what hits you, and in order to undo that warranty void, you need Superman to flew around the Earth counterclockwise and reverse time.

A good relationship with your dealer/service writer/wrench will go a long way. It's a two-way street, don't expect Ford to pay for stuff you broke (by almost doubling the power output) and your dealer should readily cover anything that's legitimately within warranty. A CARB approved intake shouldn't void your powertrain warranty...

that's a lot of information. Thanks, I had no idea.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
overzealous service writer can key your VIN into OASIS and void your warranty before you even know what hits you,.......................NOPE, He can make a suggestion, and he has to submit evidence to back it up.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by vloney
overzealous service writer can key your VIN into OASIS and void your warranty before you even know what hits you,.......................NOPE, He can make a suggestion, and he has to submit evidence to back it up.
"Evidence"; aftermarket fuel filtration system added. Done. I know that you know of what you speak, but it's hardly a stretch or takes any heavy lifting whatsoever to void it, and some dealers are more than happy to unfortunately.

That's why I emphasize that a good relationship is key. Returning the truck to stock and tool marks on the DPF bolts and playing stupid and trying to screw the dealer don't help ANYONE; but if a dealer tells you to return it to stock ahead of time that's a different story, but then again that's between them and Ford and it's definitely something a dealer can get in trouble for looking the other way on...

Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Basically, if you have a problem that the dealership thinks they can either help you in an effort to making a future sale, or making money off ford, they will push the procedure and make it happen, and look the other way.

If there is a lot of work, or there's useless mechanics that take the ford hours / procedure as a starting point, they will start looking for ways to get out of it, usually any tuner or aftermarket stuff is a good start.

Ford's idea of evidence is a F$$$$$ joke, as is other company's. Enough "evidence" to void a warranty, yet if you need them to stand up on you're behalf in court against a 3rd part than has damaged you're 60,000$ vehicle, they "are not able" to present that evidence in a courtroom. (think HPFP) What a F%%%%% joke. The ONLY reason this company, and others, get away with it, is that they're big..... not smart, not even clever... just big.

I know there are some good ford wrenchers, like we got around this forum, but crap there's a lot of complete dumb tards working in dealerships now, just an incredible amount. It's one thing to pay the big bucks to get a hardened professional on you're truck working on it, but now there's so many damn apprentices, that theres probably more money getting spent on liability insurance than professionals.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
DynamoDale
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250GH
I went to two different dealers this week to attempt a trade in for a 2012 6.2L gas truck. My 2008 6.4L diesel is valued by NADA for trade in value, at $35,000. Each dealer is offering $10,000 under that. Saying that they can't move diesel's right now and everybody is trading them in for gas trucks.
Has anybody else seen this occur?

I went in to my local dealer about 2 months ago and they would only give me $32,435 on my F450 and I was going to trade down to a ranger and I told them I could burn it and get more $$$$ for it than that I said Cya!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by parkland
Basically, if you have a problem that the dealership thinks they can either help you in an effort to making a future sale, or making money off ford, they will push the procedure and make it happen, and look the other way.

If there is a lot of work, or there's useless mechanics that take the ford hours / procedure as a starting point, they will start looking for ways to get out of it, usually any tuner or aftermarket stuff is a good start.

Ford's idea of evidence is a F$$$$$ joke, as is other company's. Enough "evidence" to void a warranty, yet if you need them to stand up on you're behalf in court against a 3rd part than has damaged you're 60,000$ vehicle, they "are not able" to present that evidence in a courtroom. (think HPFP) What a F%%%%% joke. The ONLY reason this company, and others, get away with it, is that they're big..... not smart, not even clever... just big.

I know there are some good ford wrenchers, like we got around this forum, but crap there's a lot of complete dumb tards working in dealerships now, just an incredible amount. It's one thing to pay the big bucks to get a hardened professional on you're truck working on it, but now there's so many damn apprentices, that theres probably more money getting spent on liability insurance than professionals.
I can only speak of the experiences here, but its more difficult than you might expect to convince Ford to deny warranty. Thus, I'm quite skeptical when someone says that their warranty was voided "on a whim". More to that story if you ask me!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I can only speak of the experiences here, but its more difficult than you might expect to convince Ford to deny warranty. Thus, I'm quite skeptical when someone says that their warranty was voided "on a whim". More to that story if you ask me!
What I'm saying is that dealerships seem to be able to use the term "evidence" very loosely, at they're advantage.

I know this is a different brand, but GM wouldn't replace out equinox drivetrain under warranty, because they claimed to have "evidence" that it was towed incorrectly.

When SHI# got real, and a lawsuit started to look imminent, , it turns out that all they're "evidence" was included a bunch of opinions and speculation, none of which they planned on swearing on under oath. Very quickly after this was talked about, our vehicle was fixed and we were back on the road, with full warranty.
Thats why I was talking about how they get away with this cause of the size of these companies. An average person could never afford to actually sue them for very much.

Dealerships can be you're friend, or you're enemy.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by parkland
What I'm saying is that dealerships seem to be able to use the term "evidence" very loosely, at they're advantage.

I know this is a different brand, but GM wouldn't replace out equinox drivetrain under warranty, because they claimed to have "evidence" that it was towed incorrectly.

When SHI# got real, and a lawsuit started to look imminent, , it turns out that all they're "evidence" was included a bunch of opinions and speculation, none of which they planned on swearing on under oath. Very quickly after this was talked about, our vehicle was fixed and we were back on the road, with full warranty.
Thats why I was talking about how they get away with this cause of the size of these companies. An average person could never afford to actually sue them for very much.

Dealerships can be you're friend, or you're enemy.
Looks like Ford didn't accept the "evidence". Dealership issue.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Looks like Ford didn't accept the "evidence". Dealership issue.
Haha that was GM, but yes it could very well have been a dealership issue.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
powerskull
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
Nice truck!
I have been hearing about problems with the CP4 fuel pump which is even more sensitive then the pump in the 08-10 (CP3) that explode for no reason and cause the same effect of destroying the fuel system with denied warranties. Have you heard anything about it? Thats the only thing that scares me about the 11 and up. lots of worries out there!

I am not trying to down your truck just giving heads up.

Quick Reply: 2008 F350 6.4L Diesel NADA vs Dealer WOW!