Sponsored by:

2WD lift advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
delano0512
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD lift advice needed.

Hi guys, well my shocks need replacing also the lower bearing on the driver side. I figured this is a good time to fix the eccessive roll issue when going over speed bumps and in the corners. Not to mention adding afew inches

I was thinking about going with the Rancho 9000 and putting the 2" spacers on the front spring and the add a leaf in the rear.
I wanted to know if there is a special part number for the Rancho shocks or just use the stock height ones? (I have a 2000 with the 5.4L)

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
You can probably get away with the stock shocks as they still have some travel to them even at the stock height.

If you were interested in swapping the entire suspension and gaining a few inches, you could get yourself a full 4 inch kit and run some 285s.

Both Fabtech and PROcomp offer a 4 inch kit for gas trucks, but I prefer PROcomp since their kit is more cut and dry.

Your truck will ride noticably better and and have a better stance on the road. Mine truck being a diesel I had no choice, but to lift it 6 inches. I did so August 2007 and since then have had NO regrets. It's an undertaking that requires a degree of planning, but once done, it's TOTALLY worthwhile!

Back to the lecture at hand:

You can get either Bilsteins from Autozone with a lifetime warranty or the Rancho 9000 adjustables from O'reilly with a lifetime warranty. Either way, you'll be happy.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
I tried a similar move - coil spacers and RAS. Unfortunately didn't get the result I wanted. I got 2" more to the front as expected, but am now 1/2" higher in the front. I'm now trying to figure another way to get some lift in the rear.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by X-70STANG-F150
I tried a similar move - coil spacers and RAS. Unfortunately didn't get the result I wanted. I got 2" more to the front as expected, but am now 1/2" higher in the front. I'm now trying to figure another way to get some lift in the rear.
*COUGH* B-CODES!!! *COUGH**COUGH*

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
yup I hear you TOR. I've been researching that this week trying to make a decision, towing season is coming soon and I need to get this thing straightened back out. I don't want to hijack the thread, just want to make sure the OP is aware of what he's getting into.

I believe the add-a-leaf will act much like the RAS in restoring the stock rear height. If you add the 2" spacer up front you will end up close to level and from my experience slightly nose up. Also your camber/caster will be seriously screwed up and will need to be re-aligned. Here is some of my research on the subject:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...n-upgrade.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t-on-ebay.html Also see links on post #22

Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM
hellon18whls
New User
perfect thread topic for newbie

Ok, i have some questions along the topic of 2wd lifts, but first some details. I just recently bought a 2000 ex with the v10, 2wd. I prefer the look of lifted trucks, but never had the chance to lift one, and i feel like the stock ride I have is too low. What I am considering doing is a 6" lift with 35x12.5 tires. I have some wheels picked out that I like with a -6 offset vs the stock 42 offset which would give a little extra inside clearance for the bigger tire by sticking it a little further out of the wheel well if I'm understanding correctly. I've looked up several lift kits, but I can't find one that says it fits the 6.8 v10 and 2wd.

First off, am I crazy for wanting to lift a 2wd just for cosmetics?
I see ProComp being recommended in several threads, do they offer a 6" lift for the 2wd gas engines?
Would my tire selection work with little or no modification?
Is there anything else I need to keep in mind as a rookie to lifting trucks?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by hellon18whls
First off, am I crazy for wanting to lift a 2wd just for cosmetics?
Nope because I did it for the same reasons you want to do it: cosmetics, ride height, and ride quality.

Before I lifted mine August 2007 it looked like this:

It was essentially a low-rider and the suspension was well worn. So instead of replacing the suspension with the stock stuff, I opted to replace it all with something better: a full suspension lift kit.

This is what she looks like today:

I see ProComp being recommended in several threads, do they offer a 6" lift for the 2wd gas engines?
They most certainly do! A guy by the screename of "igotoneforya" has their 6 inch lift kit and loves it. His is a 2003 2wd V10 truck like yours.

I also have the 6 inch ProComp kit for my truck, but it's the Diesel version (heavier front springs).

It's been 5 years and a few hundred thousand miles, but I have absolutely no regrets about lifting my truck. Well.....just one....it doesn't fit in my garage anymore

That ONE reason aside, the lift has paid for itself time and time again especially September 2008. It was that time that Hurricane Ike blew into Houston and left several streets and neighborhoods without power and flooded. Between myself, a Super Duty owner, and another fellow Excursion owner, we were the only ones capable of getting through the flood waters to get anywhere.

Between the vastly improved ride quality, ride height, and the ability to make my own road when I need to, the 6 inch Procomp lift has paid for itself several times over.

Would my tire selection work with little or no modification?
You can use the stock rims unless you're really wanting to go aftermarket. If you do end up using the stock rims, the correct size is 315/75/16.

Can't speak for aftermarket, but I've been running the stock rims with 35s and haven't had a problem with hubs giving out, odd wearing, or front end issues.

Is there anything else I need to keep in mind as a rookie to lifting trucks?
You will need PLENTY of air tools and a shop to do this. While you could probably do it in the safety and comfort of your own driveway, save yourself a headache and find yourself a shop with PLENTY of room.

I've been down this road before, I've made mistakes, I've learned from them, and hopefully others who have ventured down this path learned from my mistakes. If you have ANY questions at all pertaining to this topic, please contact me directly.