1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you lifted guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 PM
LRC247
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
4.5" is backspace, not offset. Backspace is only useful if you also know wheel width. Offset is a good indicator because it is the measurement of the hub face to wheel center. You're 10" wide wheels with 4.5" backspace are a -25mm offset, which is plenty for 35" tires up to about 13.5" width. You could run a 37x12.5 and the tires would be about the same distance from the leaf springs at full lock. Rubbing on the fender opening is another story, more negative offset (wheel/tire sticking out further) will result in more fender rubbing, but less leaf spring rubbing.

Awesome, that's super helpful thanks a lot!!!!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Add me to the 4" lift on 35's list. I use my truck to haul dirt bikes, tow, and pretty much anything else. I'd probably lift it 6" and put 37's on it, but it barely fits in my garage now. Any higher and I'd have to park it outside.

I've owned lots of lifted trucks. In fact, my Super Duty is one of the least lifted trucks I've owned. Never had problems with any of them.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep.....I like them low.....LOL!
37's on 20 x 10.
The trailer has a 12" lift.
On the picture with the 2 quads in the back....notice the curb....
in heavy rains the rain water gets as high as the curb... but I not worried
because I have a lift!...........................sarcasm...LOL.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo

This is my new low rider.... at least for about a week. Then 37's and another 8".

To get back to the original question....
Of course you need to set up your truck to your OWN needs.
Any thing else is wasting money to most.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:42 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To answer the question, there is absolutely nothing practical about a lifted truck. Those who describe the work they still manage to do in a lifted truck must enjoy working harder as opposed to smarter. I use my truck for a variety of tasks, towing and hauling ect. I elected to go the opposite route, I removed the 3.75" factory lift blocks to level my truck, lower the rear so it's easier to work out of.

Sitting on 285/75r16

Even at this height I can easily clear 35's.

I have air bags on the back that I can air up for a heavy load or a massive trailer, as it sits now my boat doesn't even make it sag 1/4".

The reality is there is absolutely no performance advantage to lifting a truck, it's purely for aesthetic purposes.

Ever seen a offroad trophy truck with a 8" lift? The answer is no they keep them close to the ground for stability. Even today's modern rock crawlers and rock bouncers are built as low COG as possible.

If you want a truck that only good for hauling your lunch around then lift it. If you want to get some work done leave it alone.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 AM
cold_beer839
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" Pro-Comp and 35's on my 250. I tow a boat, horse and car trailer and use the bed a lot. No issues and no stability problems either. Rides well. No regrets at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
You wouldn't notice stability issues till you were off road trying to tackle an off chamber obstacle, that's where the extra height would be detrimental.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Omega Man
To answer the question, there is absolutely nothing practical about a lifted truck. Those who describe the work they still manage to do in a lifted truck must enjoy working harder as opposed to smarter. I use my truck for a variety of tasks, towing and hauling ect. I elected to go the opposite route, I removed the 3.75" factory lift blocks to level my truck, lower the rear so it's easier to work out of.
I agree entirely. I had a 4" lift and 35s and would never go higher. If I got another SD it would be leveled and on narrow 35s (like a 285/75r18).

Even at this height I can easily clear 35's.
No, you can't. I BARELY cleared 35s with a leveling kit when I first got my truck. A very narrow 35 MAYBE, but you will be very close to rubbing on the frame or fender at full lock. Clearing with the tires straight and when full lock offroad are two very different things.

The reality is there is absolutely no performance advantage to lifting a truck, it's purely for aesthetic purposes.

Ever seen a offroad trophy truck with a 8" lift? The answer is no they keep them close to the ground for stability. Even today's modern rock crawlers and rock bouncers are built as low COG as possible.

If you want a truck that only good for hauling your lunch around then lift it. If you want to get some work done leave it alone.
Absolutely, big tires give you axle clearance, but big lifts give you instability and parking headaches. If you NEED big tires for offroading, cutout flares are a much better solution than a big lift.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
My needs are met with 37's and my 8" lift.....
I am in sand dunes often and none of the above stuff would work for me.
Been there - done that.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RumpityRump
My needs are met with 37's and my 8" lift.....
I am in sand dunes often and none of the above stuff would work for me.
Been there - done that.
Bigger tires with cutout flares would be better. Same axle clearance with lower CG. Hell, even cutouts with 37s would be better, room for wider tires on those dunes.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Bigger tires with cutout flares would be better. Same axle clearance with lower CG. Hell, even cutouts with 37s would be better, room for wider tires on those dunes.
If you think you will have the same clearance you are smoking some serious stuff.
Sand dunes = Getting high centered...... it has nothing to do with axle clearance.
Every trip to Glamis (2 per month) I see somebody get high centered on some dunes...... usually chevys....LOL.

Also..... to prove my point....
Why don't you lower your dirt bike COG..... it would be better...right?
No need to worry about your ground clearance, like your frame hitting rocks and what else, you have big tires and wheels.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RumpityRump
If you think you will have the same clearance you are smoking some serious stuff.
Sand dunes = Getting high centered...... it has nothing to do with axle clearance.
Every trip to Glamis (2 per month) I see somebody get high centered on some dunes...... usually chevys....LOL.
I said AXLE clearance.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
I said AXLE clearance.
Look at my post Mr. Phd....
I stated that I was talking about getting "High Centered" in the sand dunes and you still came in at me about axle clearance.....LOL! Dude, get over yourself... You do not know everything and everything. Go back and smoke some more but this time "stay away from the key board". Party On!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
I do apologize to the OP.... Let's get this back on track.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
I agree entirely. I had a 4" lift and 35s and would never go higher. If I got another SD it would be leveled and on narrow 35s (like a 285/75r18).

No, you can't. I BARELY cleared 35s with a leveling kit when I first got my truck. A very narrow 35 MAYBE, but you will be very close to rubbing on the frame or fender at full lock. Clearing with the tires straight and when full lock offroad are two very different things.

Absolutely, big tires give you axle clearance, but big lifts give you instability and parking headaches. If you NEED big tires for offroading, cutout flares are a much better solution than a big lift.
I very nearly purchased a set of 325/60r20 on rims used off a guy, I couldn't tell you the offset/backspacing. We test fit them and the cleared the front leaves by 3/4" at full lock. We removed one side of the sway bar and did our best to compress the stiff suspension while turning, we could not get them to rub anything. I call that clearing, my 285/75r16 clear everything by a mile at stock height.

Quick Reply: Question for you lifted guys...