1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
I just got an explorer yesterday, got it on the cheap was gonna use for winter beater so I can park the cc for winter. pretty sure I'm gonna junk it it's seen one too many Illinois winters, but it has JBL speakers in it! I'm thinking those (and some other parts) aren't gonna go with.
If it has the overhead console in it, grab that and the temperature sensor from behind the grill out of it. Those can be swapped into the truck with some work...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:31 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
If it has the overhead console in it, grab that and the temperature sensor from behind the grill out of it. Those can be swapped into the truck with some work...
I thought I remembered reading somthing about that! Yes it does have that and it was on the list to pull. It was a limited made in 10-94 but still a 94 (it's a first gen) was it you that did a write up on that? I know I remember seeing it.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah that's what I put in mine. It's in the "Well I went and did it" thread. I didn't put much info on there, but I can send you some links and I could even make you a copy of the template I used to shape the plastic. You have to do quite a bit of plastic work and cut a hole in the headliner, but I am pleased enough with how it turned out. It didn't turn out perfect, but I'm satisfied.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Yes that would be awesome! I still get nervous about cutting and modding things I think it's time to stop that. Lol.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got an explorer yesterday, got it on the cheap was gonna use for winter beater so I can park the cc for winter. pretty sure I'm gonna junk it it's seen one too many Illinois winters, but it has JBL speakers in it! I'm thinking those (and some other parts) aren't gonna go with.
Does it have the overhead console Thomas?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Yes it does Bill.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
You gonna do the overhead console in your truck? My truck has a Shelf It in it and I like it, so I'm thinking someday I may build off the center of that and build one that goes all the way down the center off the headliner, something like the Centurion truck have in them.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mines got one! Its a fancy wooden one. Extends all the way to the back seat

Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Mines got one! Its a fancy wooden one. Extends all the way to the back seat
Where's the pics!?!? You need to get some pics of that beast posted up!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Im spending the day at the GFs. I can grab ya some tomorrow if I remember lol

Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
That's a good looking truck. Does it have the black interior?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yes that would be awesome! I still get nervous about cutting and modding things I think it's time to stop that. Lol.
Let me know when you're ready and I will shoot some pictures and send you whatever you need to make it easier. I'll help however I can.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
You gonna do the overhead console in your truck? My truck has a Shelf It in it and I like it, so I'm thinking someday I may build off the center of that and build one that goes all the way down the center off the headliner, something like the Centurion truck have in them.
I know where there is a "Night" fllareside F-150 with one of those in it that I think I could get for cheap. Let me know if you want me to go pull it or get you some measurements so you can see if it will fit your truck. I know where there are a couple of conversion vans in a pull a part yard too that have some of that kind of custom woodwork inside. It might make it easier to start with something like that and build off of it, or modify it. Shoot me a text or something if you're interested.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

I know where there is a "Night" fllareside F-150 with one of those in it that I think I could get for cheap. Let me know if you want me to go pull it or get you some measurements so you can see if it will fit your truck. I know where there are a couple of conversion vans in a pull a part yard too that have some of that kind of custom woodwork inside. It might make it easier to start with something like that and build off of it, or modify it. Shoot me a text or something if you're interested.
It will be a little while before I get to that. I plan on pulling the headliner and recovering it too. I figured I would do it then. I have a picture in my head about what I want it to look like. I figured I'd build it from scratch and make it something unique with some custom lighting. I will definitely keep that in mind though and thanks for the offer bud!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ReBilld
It would certainly be awesome! I don't think it would be terribly hard to get power to it since I have the pillar gauges not too far away. Just wiring the temp sensor gets me.

And thanks Nate! I'll definatly take you up on that when the time comes. I'll look up the pics you have in your thread. I'm just thinking in my head about some things like securing it up there and such, would definatly be a nice touch.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I put an overhead console in my 2011 Ranger back in the day. I ran the temp sensor wire down the pillar, through the door and into the fender. I ran it inside the fender if that makes sense. I unbolted it from the supports and pulled it out enough to get the wire in it. I then ran it in front of the radiator to keep it from heat. That's where they put it stock too.

We do secret santas for my family so we don't have to buy everyone gifts (draw a name from a hat and that's who you buy a present for). I have to think of 3 things I want for under $20... its tough!

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread