1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Morning guys.

I know exactly how you feel about getting nothing done Nate. I have a show in Indianapolis in a month for my half-ton, a list a mile long, and got nothing done last night...ugh.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Where is the "Like" button on here, Alex?! That's pretty good. I love those movies.
I wonder what kind of results you would get with a new gear reduction starter on it as opposed to an older, tired OEM starter.
I guess you could say the "crick rose" last night (figuratively and literally -- it's been raining cats and dogs here for about the last 12 hours). A good friend of mine called last night and wanted me to go with him to look at a stock trailer he wanted to buy, so we went and did that last night instead. I got a peanut butter milkshake out of the deal and he got a screaming deal on a 16' stock trailer.

What I didn't get is a single thing done on my truck. Oh well. Tonight or tomorrow, I guess.
Those two characters are my favorite characters. Their witty banter makes it.
I always wondered if mine had a gear reduction starter on it because people say it starts a lot quicker than other 'old 7.3s'
Should there be a stamping on it? Or a brand name of who made it?

Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Morning guys.

I know exactly how you feel about getting nothing done Nate. I have a show in Indianapolis in a month for my half-ton, a list a mile long, and got nothing done last night...ugh.
Pfft then what you doin on here?! GET TO IT!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Those two characters are my favorite characters. Their witty banter makes it.
I always wondered if mine had a gear reduction starter on it because people say it starts a lot quicker than other 'old 7.3s'
Should there be a stamping on it? Or a brand name of who made it?
Yeah the witty, pointed banter between those two is GREAT in the first Avengers movie. It really does work well. I'm sure you're a fan of Witte banter, aren't you?

Generally the best way to tell the difference is just by appearance. The SD Gear reduction starters generally bolt on using 2 bolts, whereas the old OBS starters use 3 (the 2 bolt ones fit just fine though). And here is a pic for comparison. The old is the OBS style and the new is a gear reduction starter.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Generally the best way to tell the difference is just by appearance. The SD Gear reduction starters generally bolt on using 2 bolts, whereas the old OBS starters use 3 (the 2 bolt ones fit just fine though). And here is a pic for comparison. The old is the OBS style and the new is a gear reduction starter.

Congrats for the upgrade. But it doesnt seems logic that the bigger and heavy starter have only two bolts and the old OBS, three

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by Awitte58
Pfft then what you doin on here?! GET TO IT!
It's that thing called "working for a living" getting in the way at the moment lol.

Yeah the witty, pointed banter between those two is GREAT in the first Avengers movie. It really does work well. I'm sure you're a fan of Witte banter, aren't you?
I see what you did there...

Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the way all the 99+ starters were for the 7.3. I don't know why but that's the way it is and they do work well! When I put that starter on my old truck I swear I thought I was gonna break teeth off the flexplate when I hit the key the first time. It's a significant difference in how fast that starter turns over, especially when compared to an old, tired OBS starter.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nate, really? Pick a thread already, lol. I mean if you're gonna use two threads for one problem at least stop copy-and-paste-ing so I don't have to read the same thing twice. LOL, JK.

Witty banter is the best. My favorite kind of humor. My wife just doesn't get it though. I will practically be in tears laughing so hard, and she barely giggles. I especially like science humor. I guess I'm a nerd.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha I can't tell you how much I use that joke. ^_^
Its a one time deal with new crowds because then they know it already.

Chicks dig it and its completely original (I haven't heard any other witte's use it anyway).

Also, thanks for the picture! I can't tell you how many pictures I've saved and referenced later.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I haven't got any witty names like that for myself.

But I do have Taylor Ham on occasion.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Yeah I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the way all the 99+ starters were for the 7.3. I don't know why but that's the way it is and they do work well! When I put that starter on my old truck I swear I thought I was gonna break teeth off the flexplate when I hit the key the first time. It's a significant difference in how fast that starter turns over, especially when compared to an old, tired OBS starter.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Where is the "Like" button on here, Alex?! That's pretty good. I love those movies.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me too Darin. Which to me begs the question; what role does the quality of your starter make in the results you get from your compression test? If the little bit of cranking speed difference makes that big a difference in the compression numbers, then I wonder what kind of results you would get with a new gear reduction starter on it as opposed to an older, tired OEM starter. I guess this all boils down to the fact that these numbers are more for comparison to each other (looking for a deviation between the cylinders) than they are a solid gauge of what kind of shape your engine's internals are in. I think for that a blow-by tester would be better anyway, but I don't have one of those....

I guess you could say the "crick rose" last night (figuratively and literally -- it's been raining cats and dogs here for about the last 12 hours). A good friend of mine called last night and wanted me to go with him to look at a stock trailer he wanted to buy, so we went and did that last night instead. I got a peanut butter milkshake out of the deal and he got a screaming deal on a 16' stock trailer.

What I didn't get is a single thing done on my truck. Oh well. Tonight or tomorrow, I guess.
I mentioned in your thread Nate, worn out starter = lower compression numbers. I've done a lot of compression tests.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
well, I have been in mad thrash mode ever since the bronco sold. I finished the tail pan,trunck floor,inner tool box welding project up.scuffed and flat cleared and did another weeks worth of work to make the ol car look like something a person could finish.This is what I took out to the frog follies today to hopefully sell. Everybody wish me luck!

Name:  IMG_20140818_223257_zpswyzt8mwq.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  99.1 KB

I got the hood on but didnt get any pics. bummer.hopefully I can before the new owner tName:  IMG_20140818_214001_zpsay9fhis4.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  82.6 KBakes delivery lol I hope!!!!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Those frog follies seem to have some cool stuff in em.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Looks good Aaron! The beige wheels look good, I must admit. Good luck finding it an adoptive home.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Looking good man. Hope it finds a good home.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread