1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
There are a TON of people (especially on Facebook) who get the "go buy a 6.7L, your 7.3L is out of date" answer when they ask about even relatively simple problems with their 7.3L. Not everyone has the capital resources to drop that kind of money, and quite frankly some people WANT an older truck because of emissions issues. Many of the 6.7L smart alecs are wearing flat-billed hats and white sunglasses, so I'm not sure if that relates to the problem or not...

I "built" a comparable 2015 truck to my CCLB, and the price tag was more than the appraised value of my 3 bedroom split level brick-encased house. Um, no thanks...lol.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah thats the impression I got too. Most of the people that own those have never turned a wrench on one, or anything else for that matter.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm going to do two things for sure, put my 6.0 trans cooler on and my air bags. I'm also thinking about putting my PCM in with the Hydra though I don't know if it would help all that much. I guess if I can get an additional 60 hp out of it that should help.

I have thought about just swapping the engines. The thought of the low mile motor appeals to me but I'm not looking forward to all that work.

I've been putting a lot of thought into this and I'm thinking now of just leaving the Geo and the little trailer with the motor and trans in it here in Michigan. After getting to AZ I'll come back and pull the Geo with trailer behind it back. Only thing is, in most states a double ball hitch triple tow is illegal. IDK, IDK, IDK
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Once I get done with all this BS north of Detroit we will make our usual stops and finally from SD head to AZ in Oct. I'm hoping to get all the stuff off of the Mare in a few weeks.
Here's what you do, Glenn. Hook that 5er up and tow it down here. There's a nice RV park called Evergreen Park RV Resort that is about 25 minutes away from me. Drop the 5er there with the Geo, then rent a trailer here for a day (less than $100) and we'll go get the Mare. Park the mare outside my shop, and the Ox inside it and we'll set up a swap party for a three day weekend. I bet we get 4 or 5 guys on it and we can get all your stuff swapped over in a weekend. I have all the tools and equipment we're likely to need and a place to do it. With that RV park not far away you'd have a place to stay while the swap takes place.

I'm serious. We've done this kind of stuff before. Ideally, I'd have a little better place to do it, but my shop will work well enough for this kind of thing. Heck we can even swap over your trans unless JW wants to see it first before it goes in. I don't know if I'd be comfortable adding that power to the Ox and leaving that stock slushbox in it, but if JW gives it the clear to go, then I think we can get you going. It'd be a good time and I bet we could get a few guys from the FTE brotherhood to come and hang out for the weekend. I know I have a couple here locally that aren't necessarily 7.3 guys but can turn wrenches well enough.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Happy Saturday dudes. I just have to say that I have been reading a lot on the other forums for the 6.7, just out of curiosity. First of all, I will never be the guy to walk into a dealership and drop $65k on any truck whether I can afford it or not. But second, the absolute BS these people deal with over warranty issues and getting the warranty honored blows my mind. Sure my old truck has frustrated me at times, but I would be livid beyond belief to have to deal with the sort of idiocy these guys have encountered on these "warrantied" trucks. It just torques me even reading about it. I know I am just one small guy, but I am one small guy that Ford will never see walk in to a dealership. I love my loud, rattly, stinky truck.
You'd be sensitive too if you had just spent $70k on a truck and you were having trouble with it! Haha. It had better be pretty doggone capable for that money... I know the capability is one thing, but the biggest advancement as far as I'm concerned is the refinement. Those trucks can tow 15k like it's nothing and ride like a car at the same time. I kind of like my old truck, but the new ones sure are comfortable.

I had a guy strike up a conversation with me this weekend as I was picking up a load of mulch to finish my landscaping around the house. He asked a few questions about the truck and his remark was "that's a 7.3 too, so it's bulletproof". He's a Ford guy and has a fleet of nice trucks and he was wishing he still had the 7.3. It's telling to me...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
There are a TON of people (especially on Facebook) who get the "go buy a 6.7L, your 7.3L is out of date" answer when they ask about even relatively simple problems with their 7.3L. Not everyone has the capital resources to drop that kind of money, and quite frankly some people WANT an older truck because of emissions issues. Many of the 6.7L smart alecs are wearing flat-billed hats and white sunglasses, so I'm not sure if that relates to the problem or not...

I "built" a comparable 2015 truck to my CCLB, and the price tag was more than the appraised value of my 3 bedroom split level brick-encased house. Um, no thanks...lol.
You hit on every point Bill. For me, though I am in Texas right now, when I go back to CA eventually, I won't have to worry about emissions or pay the exorbitant price to register my truck. I love my OBS. Yes, I have been frustrated at times and yes the new ones are a bit more comfortable, but not $70k more comfy.

Originally Posted by madMatador78
Yeah thats the impression I got too. Most of the people that own those have never turned a wrench on one, or anything else for that matter.
Exactly Thomas. I'll keep my blue collar brothers and my greasy wrench because with it comes the pride of doing something yourself and having the hands to prove it. No limpfish handshakes here.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Here's what you do, Glenn. Hook that 5er up and tow it down here. There's a nice RV park called Evergreen Park RV Resort that is about 25 minutes away from me. Drop the 5er there with the Geo, then rent a trailer here for a day (less than $100) and we'll go get the Mare. Park the mare outside my shop, and the Ox inside it and we'll set up a swap party for a three day weekend. I bet we get 4 or 5 guys on it and we can get all your stuff swapped over in a weekend. I have all the tools and equipment we're likely to need and a place to do it. With that RV park not far away you'd have a place to stay while the swap takes place.

I'm serious. We've done this kind of stuff before. Ideally, I'd have a little better place to do it, but my shop will work well enough for this kind of thing. Heck we can even swap over your trans unless JW wants to see it first before it goes in. I don't know if I'd be comfortable adding that power to the Ox and leaving that stock slushbox in it, but if JW gives it the clear to go, then I think we can get you going. It'd be a good time and I bet we could get a few guys from the FTE brotherhood to come and hang out for the weekend. I know I have a couple here locally that aren't necessarily 7.3 guys but can turn wrenches well enough.

You'd be sensitive too if you had just spent $70k on a truck and you were having trouble with it! Haha. It had better be pretty doggone capable for that money... I know the capability is one thing, but the biggest advancement as far as I'm concerned is the refinement. Those trucks can tow 15k like it's nothing and ride like a car at the same time. I kind of like my old truck, but the new ones sure are comfortable.

I had a guy strike up a conversation with me this weekend as I was picking up a load of mulch to finish my landscaping around the house. He asked a few questions about the truck and his remark was "that's a 7.3 too, so it's bulletproof". He's a Ford guy and has a fleet of nice trucks and he was wishing he still had the 7.3. It's telling to me...
Just saw your post Nate. I have been told the same thing..."KEEP THAT TRUCK". I am listening. Again, I really was not trying to stir anything up. I was actually agreeing with the OP that the warranty issues and dealers that go with it are a PITA and crooked for the most part. We have a 2013 for our ranch truck. It's everything you say it is and it sure it nice to haul 6 horses in, but it's been to the dealer 3 times in the last 6 months. We have lost money for auctions due to being late and having to borrow a truck or use mine (which I don't offer too much). It's not insured for business use.

Hopefully I don't get grounded by Tom LOL!! I got accused of trolling, etc....dumb

Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

You hit on every point Bill. For me, though I am in Texas right now, when I go back to CA eventually, I won't have to worry about emissions or pay the exorbitant price to register my truck. I love my OBS. Yes, I have been frustrated at times and yes the new ones are a bit more comfortable, but not $70k more comfy.
When I decided to get into diesel, I wanted an OBS. Just like the look of these trucks so much more than any SuperDuty out there (not to say they're not nice trucks, however). With spring conversions, I can make my OBS ride comparably to a SD at a fraction of the cost and power-wise it does everything I need it to. It doesn't need to be a speed demon.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
When I decided to get into diesel, I wanted an OBS. Just like the look of these trucks so much more than any SuperDuty out there (not to say they're not nice trucks, however). With spring conversions, I can make my OBS ride comparably to a SD at a fraction of the cost and power-wise it does everything I need it to. It doesn't need to be a speed demon.
My thoughts exactly. The main guy said my truck wasn't capable and then retracted. I said "define capable". My truck pulls my RV and horse trailer down the road at 65-70 mph with little issue. It'll do even better when I do the injectors and HPOP and IC next month. I am getting new springs as well. All for the low price of about $2400. That's two or three payments on a new 6.7 or any other big three diesel. No thanks.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

This sounds most excellent and you could count on me being there.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I'd definitely be there if I could! Tried to rep you Nate. I guess I've given you too much love already...LOL

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I'd definitely be there if I could! Tried to rep you Nate. I guess I've given you too much love already...LOL
I hit him with some reps for you...

Old 08-03-2015, 05:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I hit him with some reps for you...
Yeah Bill!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can we get a link to this thread?

I haven't over extended myself since I was a teenager. Being married to a ginger accountant makes for darn sure that the books are in order. Lol. That being said, if I had the coin to drop on a 70k truck, I would in a heartbeat. However, that would mean that I had the means to have several of my coveted "wish list" rides/toys and probably wouldn't sweat a few warranty issues. If they were covered that is. Lol.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Brahahaha them dudes are all d**k hurt up there hahahaha

You sure kicked the hornets nest ...you troll you.

just jackin their jaw
The guys in the 6.7 section have always been a little emotional when it comes to their trucks. I think it comes with knowing they're on the hook for 6 or so years with such a high truck payment and they can't afford to admit their platform has issues.

When the whole HPFP failures due to water first started to be talked about when the 6.7 was new, I made the comment they should add a water separator between the tank and low pressure fuel pump to catch water if the factory water in fuel thing wasn't up to snuff. I even told them how easy it would be to do with available parts. I was basically laughed at and told the 6.7 didn't need that kind of jury-rigging.

Of course a few months later when Dieselsite came up with a simple water separator with a fancy aluminum mounting bracket and started selling them for $700.00, they all couldn't wait to get them.

Guess they weren't aware that the whole separate water from diesel concept has been around for a while now.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Holy crap Nate, I'm in shock! You guys would do that for me? I'm just a long haired old guy, you lay your eyes on me and your going to wish you never said any thing. Darin has already offered to do this for me in the winter but the thought of it getting ALL done in a weekend is unbelievable.

I have emailed John Woods and he said if the case is OK then the trans is OK. It looks OK to me. The turbo bearing feels a little loose probably ran out of oil for 30 seconds until I got stopped. I've gotten most of the stuff off the mare already, just want my Alcoa wheels, IC, 6.0 trans cooler and maybe my zero lose brake booster that cost me $180. I would want Jim to make my stage II's into I's.

I was out there today, this picture pretty much explains where I'm at. Your killing me with kindness Nate!

Name:  1438618593_zpsb4e79e32.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  288.4 KB

Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
When do we start?

Get the turbo sent to barter asap! Order a crap ton of orings from clay! And get the stix to Jim!!!

I have a little trans jack that'll do it just fine... If my schedule could work around it I'm in!!

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread