I sure hope not Glenn.

Be safe my friend!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F350-6

Not sure if you get the same commercials we do. A few years ago there were commercials for Holiday Inn that said things like, "I'm not a Doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night"

Maybe you get the same commercials. The times I've been in Mexico I've never watched TV.
Ah, now I understand what Tom wrote. No in Mexico I didnt see any of those commercials in the TV.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Hi bill. I know all about it. I've been trying to get equipment sorted out all week. If I get a good sunny patch I'll be cutting first cut and then get ready to plant.
I'm getting spring fever too! It surprises that you do 1st cutting before planting. Everyone around here plants crops before even thinking about cutting hay.

I had a fire get away from me on Saturday. I had to call the FD to put it out. Luckily the only thing that got hurt was my pride and my work gloves.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:02 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I'm getting spring fever too! It surprises that you do 1st cutting before planting. Everyone around here plants crops before even thinking about cutting hay. I had a fire get away from me on Saturday. I had to call the FD to put it out. Luckily the only thing that got hurt was my pride and my work gloves.
lol. Pride can be built, good work gloves are hard to find. My first and second cut are for silage. I plant a cover crop after I take the corn off in the fall and plant a wheat ryegrass mix for over winter. In the spring I cut the cover crop and use it to feed my cows through the year. I wouldn't be able to grow enough feed to feed all my cows without doing it this way. That being said the cover crop is already about 20" tall. Once I take the cover crop off I can start to work the fields for corn. I do plan to plant a couple of grass fields this week weather permitting

Old 04-13-2015, 06:10 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty respectable ask for a clean truck w a little blow by..
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161671230716?_mwBanner=1

Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting spring fever too! It surprises that you do 1st cutting before planting. Everyone around here plants crops before even thinking about cutting hay.

I had a fire get away from me on Saturday. I had to call the FD to put it out. Luckily the only thing that got hurt was my pride and my work gloves.
I'm glad nothing was seriously damaged. That's a scary time when the flames start getting out of control.

lol. Pride can be built, good work gloves are hard to find. My first and second cut are for silage. I plant a cover crop after I take the corn off in the fall and plant a wheat ryegrass mix for over winter. In the spring I cut the cover crop and use it to feed my cows through the year. I wouldn't be able to grow enough feed to feed all my cows without doing it this way. That being said the cover crop is already about 20" tall. Once I take the cover crop off I can start to work the fields for corn. I do plan to plant a couple of grass fields this week weather permitting
There are a few guys here locally starting to go back to this "old school" way of farming as well. I like it a lot better than leaving the fields open all winter long and letting them wash away. The idiots that farm the field behind me fall plow their fields every year and it makes a muddy, dusty mess all winter long and then floods out my neighbors in the spring. It's not that hard to do it right, but there sure seem there are a lot of ways to do things wrong.

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Ford F 350 XLT | eBay
That's not a bad looking ride for the money. Wonder how bad the transmission is...

Just so I can provide some closure to a question I asked a few days ago, I ended up getting a made in the USA u-joint for my front driveshaft today. It came from a most unlikely source. Turns out that Advance Auto carries Moog joints and they're still US made.

Less expensive than the cheap stuff elsewhere too. I know that Moog has gotten a poor reputation as of late for their less than stellar quality in their tie rods and ball joints and their annoying tendency to manufacture their parts offshore, but hopefully their u-joints are still of decent quality. At any rate, I don't have a lot on the line, just the few minutes it took to install it and the few dollars I spent on it. I guess we'll see what happens.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Ford F 350 XLT | eBay
I bet there is nothing wrong with it lol

Except for that dreadful wide sorry excuse for a pinstripe.
Fawf awful.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Hopefully the joints are better than the crap tie rods they make.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
I bet there is nothing wrong with it lol

Except for that dreadful wide sorry excuse for a pinstripe.
Fawf awful.
I bet you're right.

I'm not a huge fan of the oversized rear bumper either. Looks like something that belongs on the back of a milk tanker. I don't mind a drop bumper, but that one seems especially obnoxious.

Originally Posted by fordpride
Hopefully the joints are better than the crap tie rods they make.
Hopefully so. If not, I'm out $12 and an hour of my time. Most of the time it's just sitting there doing nothing anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts

I am glad everything is ok! I know now from personal experience a few weeks ago how scary this can be. I did one of those really REALLY stupid things you see on "World's Dumbest Videos". I am too ashamed to tell the full story because I always make fun of such idiots, but let's just say I managed to set a 2 gallon gas can on fire that was full of gas! anyways, it was a job to get it put out. I was very, very close to calling the FD.

Nice work Nick! I am with Nate on this one in that its good to see farming being done the right way.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I bet you're right.

I'm not a huge fan of the oversized rear bumper either. Looks like something that belongs on the back of a milk tanker. I don't mind a drop bumper, but that one seems especially obnoxious.

Hopefully so. If not, I'm out $12 and an hour of my time. Most of the time it's just sitting there doing nothing anyway.
Nate I am guessing you'll be more than fine. I am glad to hear you can still get these Made in the USA.

And in other news, beautiful wife has stated that she really likes Ruby and wouldn't mind having it as her daily driver if I want to try to find a 250 or 350 RC 4x4! So, I am going to start searching for just suck a rig. It will either be that or a short bed CC 4x4. I am really wanting the RC though IF I can locate one that doesn't need a bunch of work. We figured, why not? I am getting pretty good and comfortable with diagnostics and knowing what makes these trucks dependable. I am hoping I can find the holy grail D60 and that it won't need a bunch of expensive stuff right away. Wish me luck!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,543 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Hi Tim! Getting anywhere on the Bronco yet?
Hi Bill, Not really, I have buying a few things but not working on any of it yet.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I am glad everything is ok! i know no from personal experience a few weeks ago how scary this can be. I did one of those really REALLY stupid things you see on "World's Dumbest Videos". I am too ashamed to tell the full story because I always make fun of such idiots, but let's just say I managed to set a 2 gallon gas can on fire that was full of gas! anyways, it was a job to get it put out. I was very, very close to calling the FD.

Nice work Nick! I am with Nate on this one in that its good to see farming being done the right way.

Nate I am guessing you'll be more than fine. I am glad to hear you can still get these Made in the USA.

And in other news, beautiful wife has stated that she really likes Ruby and wouldn't mind having it as her daily driver if I want to try to find a 250 or 350 RC 4x4! So, I am going to start searching for just suck a rig. It will either be that or a short bed CC 4x4. I am really wanting the RC though IF I can locate one that doesn't need a bunch of work. We figured, why not? I am getting pretty good and comfortable with diagnostics and knowing what makes these trucks dependable. I am hoping I can find the holy grail D60 and that it won't need a bunch of expensive stuff right away. Wish me luck!
Dang..that's like winning the lottery there byron.

Oh yea...sell the vulva and get another PSD...envious in Indiana...party of one...

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Nice Byron. You've got a winner there. My wife would not want my truck as a daily driver. It's just to long. She likes her little Mazda.

It's really not all that much extra work getting the cover crop in. A no till drill over the field after the manure is on and done.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, fall tillage is a good idea, but you've got to put a cover crop on it! A few years ago everyone around us was doing 100% no-till, well they decided that their yields were dropping off too fast and they started working the soil again. Now last fall, they all decided to chisel plow everything after harvest. Since almost no one has cattle anymore, they saw no need for a cover crop. It'd make me sick watching all my top soil blow across the road all winter. I just don't get it.

Bryon, tread lightly... you are about to become one of those guys... a multiple OBS guy. I had no choice but to call the FD. I had no water nearby to even attempt to put it out. I can't believe how fast it burned with all rain we've gotten. And good luck on the truck search. My next truck is going to be a CCSB, with the family growing and all.

Corey, nice find on the truck. Its a little ugly with those bumpers/brush guard, rims/tires, and pinstripe, but its nothing that can't be remedied. I'll bet the blow by is nothing to worry about.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Don't get me wrong phil. I still work up the field once per year. But I don't like to do it twice. I feel that does damage as well. The no till is just for the cover crop. I try to turn over my grass fields every 4 years as well. I remember a study done by some university( I don't remember which one) that concluded in order for no till to work on corn crops it takes seven years of poor crops before it gets better. That's a lot of years to chance IMO. Plus most of my fertilizer comes from the bussiness end of a cow or chicken so I like to get that stuff in the soil personally.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread