1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:56 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Been nice and cool here lately too. Highs in the mid 70's and overnight lows in the 50's. Great weather for sleeping with the windows open!
I will say that the cooler weather keeps the brick shell of this house cooler, which means it's easier to sleep. Gets a bit warm in here otherwise.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:07 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Rick are you getting smoke from the Oregon fires? Hope all is ok!!
We've got 3 major fires within about 40 miles here. One about 12000 acres, one capped at 10000, and one still going pretty strong around 20000 acres. Theyre all pretty much brush fires, I drove through the burned area of the biggest fire today and there was very little canopy/tree damage.

Mostly just inconvenient smoke here at my place.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
How much for the towing mirrors lol!

Getting everything ready to leave for North Carolina tomorrow! I was heading home from work today and I heard a clunk, shhhhh. Looked behind me and the bottom half of my downpipe is skiddin down the road. I pull over, throw it in the back of my truck, and was on my merry way. It was prolly in my head but it seemed like I had zero turbo lag! I gave it some throttle and the turbo immediately caught up and away we went!

Wish me luck guys! And have your phones on ya in case of emergency lol
We'll see about the mirrors, JP. They may be a part of a "package deal" of sorts that I'm working on.

Good luck with your trip. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

I would think you may want to put that bottom section of the DP back on before you leave just so you're not blowing all that hot exhaust onto your transmission and firewall. That's just my thought on it though. I'd hate to see you have trouble along the way, but if you do, and you're near by don't hesitate to give me a ring.

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
You and bill are finding all the parts trucks. Leave some for the rest of us haha. And heck yeah on rocking the camper shell. Aaron will be proud.
Finders keepers, Gabe! I like the shell for traveling and camping. It keeps all our junk out of sight and out of the weather. I think I may have him beat on the "grandpa factor" though don't you think? Mine steps up in back.

Originally Posted by madMatador78
Congrats Nate! Hopefully this will nip your issues in the bud once and for all. Just for kicks and giggles, did swaping injectors in your present motor have any effect? Haven't checked your thread latley.

In other news, looks like the trans on the Ambassador is coming out. I've been chatting back and forth with Aaron about it. And tried about every diagnostic we can to rule everything out. Looks like somthing is going on inside. Shouldn't be bad, going to get a rebuild kit and get er done. Going to take my time and hoping to learn somthing in the process.
You know, Thomas I was ready to dismiss this engine without trying the injectors, but FTE has more or less convinced me that I owe it to this motor and to all of you who have given me advice on this thing to swap injectors and see what happens. I think I'll order a set of o-rings this morning.

Good luck with the transmission rebuild. I've only been a part of one trans rebuild and it was less than successful. I didn't do it myself, but a friend of ours did. Ended up doing it twice for a cut o-ring. Take your time and go slow and learn what you can along the way. Even if you do it twice the knowledge you gain will be worth the investment. I'd bet that trans will be a lot easier to remove than the one from a front wheel drive Dodge Caravan too, lol.

Originally Posted by tshrager
So when is the swap party? Lol.
Don't you have something else you're supposed to be working on!?

Originally Posted by fordman67
Camper shell for the big win!!! I'm glad I am inspiring other young people to pretend they are old lol
I've been pretending to be old since I was 16. Aside from long tube headers, a glasspack dual exhaust, and a 4 on the floor the "camper shell", topper, truck cap, whatever you want to call it was the first "mod" I ever did to my first truck. I've even spent some nights sleeping in it! I really like having it on there when we go camping or when we travel. It keeps all our junk safe and dry and looks better than a million little things all laying around in the back of the bed like I had at RRE. I just didn't have the cap painted yet when we went to RRE and I couldn't bring myself to rock it in it's native "poop stain brown" with peeling clear coat color scheme! I spent the week following RRE getting it cleaned up and painted to use it on our trip to MI last week. MUCH NICER having it on there. Makes the truck look bigger too, since... you know, that's what you need when you're driving a 23' school bus, lol.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Lol I am doing my best "obs excursion" impression.just can't find that third row of seats ?!?!?!
Yea...injector swap!!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
This thread is still alive??? This has got to be a record on so many levels. LOL

I hope everyone is doing well. I heard about Steve Bricks which is what brought me to the site tonight.

I will try to get on her more often. The 7.3 is still in my possession but I have taken up a new hobby. I joined the OTHG (over the hill gang vet MX racing) in February and been busy competing as if I was 19 again. LOL

Anyway, I will pop in here again really soon. Miss you guys/gals.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
What kind of bike you running Sam? Reminds me of my old days!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Im hoooome!

Ended up having a (basically) successful trip. Made it all the way to North Carolina and only stopped twice. Once for fuel, once to pee. Loaded up the ol 73 Roadrunner and hit the road. On the way back, I hit a 6% grade for 6 miles... overdrive wouldn't carry it so I ended up hitting the OD, slowed to 45 mph and let er climb.

Then I ended up having tranny issues... I had the cruise set and it disengaged itself. I gave it some throttle and noticed my torque converter wasn't locking up. It was staying in OD but the TC wouldn't lock so I was spinning about 400 extra rpms. I told the gf to get ready to come get me, the trannys on its way out... After an hour or so driving it started working again. Woohoo! Then I noticed I didn't have any trailer lights. After pulling over a couple times trying to diagnose the issue with no success, I ended up turning on the running lights on the Roadrunner and came home. It was about 1am at this time anyways. Long story short, a taillight on the trailer shorted out and burned up. The melted wires were contacting each other shorting out the whole trailer electrical system and was kicking out my torque converter. Crazy!!!

And I hit a deer lol. It was 4am and I was half asleep and didn't see it til I was on top of it. Hit it in the azz, pulled over, no damage, hopped back in and came home. No idea what happened to the deer lol. It was 4am and I didn't care lol

Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
nice looking road runner.
i had one looked just like it, including the wheels.
stock had a 400 4 barrel thermoquad carb and a 4 speed, the guy i got it from pulled the 400 and put a 440 6 pack in it.
damn thing was a rocket ship, and handled fantastic.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Very nice Roadrunner. I don't care about brands when it comes to the old iron, there have been some sexy cars through the years from all the manufacturers.

And glad you had a relatively incident free trip.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:11 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job JP!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Good deal JP.great to hear!

Tipical....ford dragging a dodge lol

Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Good deal JP! Glad you made is there and back safe and sound!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Great to hear the trip was a success, JP! It sounds like you were able to overcome the obstacles that Murphy threw your way and make it a successful trip. Good looking load there, for sure!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Next time your down to 45 mph, drop it into 2nd but I do understand what happened about the wiring. Glad you got it fixed and made it OK.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 95_Dually
This thread is still alive??? This has got to be a record on so many levels. LOL

I hope everyone is doing well. I heard about Steve Bricks which is what brought me to the site tonight.

I will try to get on her more often. The 7.3 is still in my possession but I have taken up a new hobby. I joined the OTHG (over the hill gang vet MX racing) in February and been busy competing as if I was 19 again. LOL

Anyway, I will pop in here again really soon. Miss you guys/gals.
Yeah I read about that. Even though I never met the guy, from what I have read he was a great man and will be missed dearly. Prayers to Gail.

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Im hoooome!

Ended up having a (basically) successful trip. Made it all the way to North Carolina and only stopped twice. Once for fuel, once to pee. Loaded up the ol 73 Roadrunner and hit the road. On the way back, I hit a 6% grade for 6 miles... overdrive wouldn't carry it so I ended up hitting the OD, slowed to 45 mph and let er climb.

Then I ended up having tranny issues... I had the cruise set and it disengaged itself. I gave it some throttle and noticed my torque converter wasn't locking up. It was staying in OD but the TC wouldn't lock so I was spinning about 400 extra rpms. I told the gf to get ready to come get me, the trannys on its way out... After an hour or so driving it started working again. Woohoo! Then I noticed I didn't have any trailer lights. After pulling over a couple times trying to diagnose the issue with no success, I ended up turning on the running lights on the Roadrunner and came home. It was about 1am at this time anyways. Long story short, a taillight on the trailer shorted out and burned up. The melted wires were contacting each other shorting out the whole trailer electrical system and was kicking out my torque converter. Crazy!!!

And I hit a deer lol. It was 4am and I was half asleep and didn't see it til I was on top of it. Hit it in the azz, pulled over, no damage, hopped back in and came home. No idea what happened to the deer lol. It was 4am and I didn't care lol
Glad you made it alright!
And its funny you had that happen to you. When we were convoying down to RRE last year I was having and issue that my trans would kick out of OD whenever I put my headlights on.

Well one of my rear brake lights had blown and the filiments crossed over each other so whenever the lights were on it was as if my brakes were being applied so my trans would kick out of OD.
Made for a few interesting stops because we were going up and down mountains from Sun to Dark and stormy. I just followed clifford close and had Bill's teal truck behind me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread