1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
My sisters race car (66 fairlane) still has 4 wheel drums and work quite well. They do fine stopping her car at 110+.

I try and keep a lot of distance in front of me with my setup too. But, some of the idiot drivers a guy encounters....
Well, in the awesome state of California, people seem to think that all of that space I leave in front of me is a perfect place for them to squeeze in. I always try to use the same rule that Tom does. People don't always allow that though...hence the "idiot drivers" Darin. Well, if they want 7500 pounds of steel up their rear when they have to stop quick, so be it. I have had people pull in front of me hauling my RV or a load of horses and I just stay right on their butts...they usually get the hint.

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Well boys, I lied. Im going to North Carolina!

The guys shipping company STILL hasn't picked up the car and its been two weeks. Needless to say he is less than happy. I told him Id do it. Theres only one problem: I didn't get the job for the price I was hoping. I asked him how much the shipping company was charging him, expecting a $1500 price tag, and he says $600... I pause for a second and say, "Yea, I could do it for that much"... Itll still leave me with plenty of room for profit. The guy is nice as can be and I know he wouldn't screw me over. Heck, he even said if I don't think Im making enough or need a hotel, he will up my pay! I said that wont be necessary lol. Sometimes nice guys need a break
I hate to say it man, but these guys are right. Nice or not, he needs to pay you and he probably knows that...and there is no way on God's green earth they were charging him that much. But, if you really want to do it, good luck! I hope it goes well.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Are you sure he's that nice and the shipping company's price wasn't double that and he just told you 600? I think you're a little too nice. That's too cheap.
What he said ^^^^

Originally Posted by fordman67
They aren't gonna either .600$ they miss quoted the job and know it. Grab your ankles and say"just get it over with" cause he is doing u JP.I'm sorry but that's just crazy.also make sure they don't pick it up with you half way there.that would suck too
Just more fuel to the fire. Sorry man, we don't want you getting screwed!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i know it is fun to haul stuff with these trucks, but when you are doing it for someone else like that you have to make some money to make it worth it. Its not to late to back out.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Well i know it is fun to haul stuff with these trucks, but when you are doing it for someone else like that you have to make some money to make it worth it. Its not to late to back out.
Right on Gabe...I'd do a cost analysis and tell him $1k minimum. Its your skin if you break down or lose money, not his AND he gets a break. Business is business when it comes to this stuff, friend or not. I'll shut up now.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All it would take is one break down....

Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Way too cheap JP. I'm surprised no one has brought up ins on the car in question. Have you checked with your agent to make sure your coverage will cover a towed vehicle that doesn't belong to you? You might have to buy a temp policy...ie more dough.

And listen to me cause I never lie and only drink in moderation.....

Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tshrager

Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Why do I sense there's more to this than meets the eye...lol...

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I just have to say.I hate selling crap.I don't like letting stuff go.I'm a packrat on a small level. I sure thought I had a buyer on the line for the bronco.it turns out I lost the title after receiving it..grr..I wasn't really pushing for a sale too hard until I received the new one.of course I would get a potential buyer and I think my title deal has turned him off.crap crap crap crap.and I can't get to the welding supply place to get my bottle filled .I have to get this 41 ready to sell in two weeks.double crap.sorry guys just freaking a bit here.grrr

Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Why do I sense there's more to this than meets the eye...lol...
Ahh the force is strong with this one. Lol

Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I asked him why it was so cheap. It turns out, when the shipper quoted him, the truck was already in the area i.e. Extra money for the shipper.

I told him about insurance when we talked. He is gonna put insurance on it today to cover it

Idk. He is nice as can be. I done told him I'd do it

Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
And he is putting insurance on the car today, just in case.

Heck, the way my luck is going, I'll end up rolling my truck or something

Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Good luck with your trip JP. I doubt you'll be anywhere near here, but if you end up in OH and need a place to stop and rest, let me know.

Are you planning on flat-bedding the car home or using an enclosed trailer?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
And he is putting insurance on the car today, just in case.

Heck, the way my luck is going, I'll end up rolling my truck or something
Now don't say that!!! Were just lookin out for ya man.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
When I did the trip to Colorado I originally tried to have it shipped on a truck. From what I was explained by someone who deals with this sort of thing is you put out on a bidding site what you are shipping and shipping details etc.

Then a whole bunch of companies bid on it. The ranges are CRAZY! For that white CCLB they ranged from $700 to $2000. It was madness.

So of course I was looking at the lower end of things. A friend then told me that the company basically puts out a notice of your truck and the price it pays and then wait for a trucker that can fit it in his load. Well no trucker will take something on that doesn't profit...
So after a few weeks of it sitting there and nobody taking the bid the company will come back to you and ask you to raise the price because they can't move it at that amount.

At least thats what I was told. And it makes sense because the lower priced companys also wanted me to put down like $100 non refundable to 'hold the spot'
So basically when they come back and tell you they need more money its either you pony up or lose your $100.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
600 is around the right price if he they had a return haul setup

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread