1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Holy cow! I just looked under my truck. Can you say solid front axle?! I don't guess I realized they went back to a solid front on the 250s on the NBS
That's even a D60 JP .

Sometime during 01 they changed it from the straight axle D50 to the D60.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Yup! I just did some research on it. Not as desireable as the king pins (or knuckles... whatever theyre called) but still a very strong axle! Its not like im going to take this thing rock crawling but its good assurance lol

Wouldn't happen to know if its a limited slip would ya? I searched for some lockers (for craps and giggles) and theyre not as common as the older D60s so Im hoping its a LS from the factory

Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Should be able to tell by the axle code on the door or the axle tag itself.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Man Todd, damn glad to hear it on both accounts!

So, in other news, I was reading an article in the last month's Diesel mag and it was about all of the diesel trucks that are pre '99. It was saying that the prices are only going to go up on PSDs and Cummins because they are simple, extremely reliable, and usually SMOG exempt. I just started thinking how thankful I am to have found mine and not even really know what I was looking for. I knew the '97 was a good year and I could not find a Cummins that was affordable, so I got mine to meet our needs. Man have I been pleasantly surprised to be reminded what a good truck these can be and what a good one I found!! As i was thinking about it and what it needs currently, I started thinking back to what I have done to it, small or big,to improve on it. I made a list. Now it's nothing major like Travis, or Bill's, Glenn's......or Nate's! But, it is getting there! Here is what I have so far...

1) Delo/Napa Filter change
2) SCA Coolant Flush
3) Gear oil change
4) Replaced vacuum line for Max A/C to work
5) Replaced blower motor and resistor
6) Tightened fender bolts/no more popping!!! (Thanks Nate)
7) Changed fuel filter
8) Plugged water in fuel sensor hole
9) Installed grab handles
10) TPS replaced and pedal modded by me for strength
11) Seat covers (no big deal, but still cool)
12) Added flush mount toolbox
13) painted bed and diamond plate rails with bedliner paint
14) painted steps with bedliner paint (not sure if I posted photos)
15) Alignment done
16) Removed interior and cleaned carpet/seats/dash
17) Replaced all dash light bulbs
18) Tow mirror modded
19) Headlight restoration
20) Washed and waxed

That's all I can think of for now. On the ToDo list

1) Re-arc/re-pack rear springs
2) replace up-pipes
3) New Alpine stereo (Pioneer sucks, but it works)
4) new tires
5) GPR
6) New batteries (the ones in there now are too small)

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for reading! Happy Saturday everyone!
That's a good looking list Byron. I think I am going to keep my 'ol PSD for a long time. It's nice to have a truck that will do anything you need from it and let you work on it too isn't it? I don't think there is a single thing I would change about the way my truck is equipped, except maybe the color and some of the little add on items (bumper and steps especially). As it came from the factory I don't think I would have ordered it any different though. The only thing I am on the fence about is the 3.55's but I'm honestly more or less at the point of it being a toss-up on that too.

I'm not sure what kind of project you think I am into though. I think you've done as much to your truck as I have to mine. My outstanding list is getting down to all the stuff that costs money and the progress is likely to get pretty slow when I get to that point. There is a TON more that I would like to do to this truck, but I have the rest of my life to do it. I'm really pleased to have it just the way it is.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,105 Likes on 2,167 Posts
well, i am now the proud owner of a slightly used 12,000 lb Rotary 4 post ramp lift with 2 6,000lb sliding air jacks.

i went to look at a 6,000 lb mid rise scissor lift for $1,500, and the guy talked me out of it.
it was a hard sell.
he asked me what i was doing that i needed a lift, and i explained to him i have been trying to buy one for years but every time i got up enough money to pay for it, something came up and ate the money.

then he said i just got in 12 4 posters from a land rover dealership i maintain, i will let you have one for $3,500 painted, or $3,000 as is.
needless to say, paint is not a problem for me, since it is bright safety yellow i will not have to worry about not seeing it and walking into it.

he wants 2 weeks to put one together with new cables and make sure everything is in working order, then he is going to deliver it.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:37 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, i am now the proud owner of a slightly used 12,000 lb Rotary 4 post ramp lift with 2 6,000lb sliding air jacks.

i went to look at a 6,000 lb mid rise scissor lift for $1,500, and the guy talked me out of it.
it was a hard sell.
he asked me what i was doing that i needed a lift, and i explained to him i have been trying to buy one for years but every time i got up enough money to pay for it, something came up and ate the money.

then he said i just got in 12 4 posters from a land rover dealership i maintain, i will let you have one for $3,500 painted, or $3,000 as is.
needless to say, paint is not a problem for me, since it is bright safety yellow i will not have to worry about not seeing it and walking into it.

he wants 2 weeks to put one together with new cables and make sure everything is in working order, then he is going to deliver it.
That's awesome Tom! It would be so nice to have a lift in my shop. I have a service pit and that is a great improvement over working off my back on the floor, but a lift would be just that much nicer. I think that will really be nice for you, especially with the aches and pains that you are fighting. That should work really well for you.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was a hard sell.

Good deal Tom.......soooo you want me to put it in my shop and try it out for a while, just to make sure it's safe ya know.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,105 Likes on 2,167 Posts
you are such a kind, caring person Bill.
always willing to go the extra mile to help others. Name:  bsflag.gif
Views: 49
Size:  2.2 KB

Old 11-02-2013, 06:57 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Hey, what can I say....

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
That's awesome Tom. My dad was telling me stories of when he was a kid my grandpa had a "pit." Basically you drove off the bank out onto railroad ties that had railroad tie uprights to work on stuff. He used to drive the 68 Ford bus out on them I hear

Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FI460
That's awesome Tom. My dad was telling me stories of when he was a kid my grandpa had a "pit." Basically you drove off the bank out onto railroad ties that had railroad tie uprights to work on stuff. He used to drive the 68 Ford bus out on them I hear
We used to have the same thing here rick. Used it for years until it started to rot and became unsafe. Couldn't tell you how many different cars, trucks, tractors, etc. my Dad had on that thing when I was a kid.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That's a good looking list Byron. I think I am going to keep my 'ol PSD for a long time. It's nice to have a truck that will do anything you need from it and let you work on it too isn't it? I don't think there is a single thing I would change about the way my truck is equipped, except maybe the color and some of the little add on items (bumper and steps especially). As it came from the factory I don't think I would have ordered it any different though. The only thing I am on the fence about is the 3.55's but I'm honestly more or less at the point of it being a toss-up on that too.

I'm not sure what kind of project you think I am into though. I think you've done as much to your truck as I have to mine. My outstanding list is getting down to all the stuff that costs money and the progress is likely to get pretty slow when I get to that point. There is a TON more that I would like to do to this truck, but I have the rest of my life to do it. I'm really pleased to have it just the way it is.
I could not agree with you more on all of the stuff you said. I will say though that you definitely have me beat in the electrical area. I am getting there and getting my head around it, but not quite 100% yet! My list is the same way. The other major stuff I listed on the "to do" is stuff that will be getting done in Jan when I have more $$ come in and then in march when tax return season comes around, if our lovely gov't makes it that far!

When all of the reliability/longevity stuff is done, then I'll start doing plans for some minor upgrades (injectors, intercooler) stuff like that.

you are such a kind, caring person Bill.
always willing to go the extra mile to help others.
Hahahahahahaha, that little BS dude made me laugh out loud. My wife wondered what I was up to!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
My wife is used to it Byron. She used to ask what I was laughing about but not any more, LOL

Nate, I don't know if you are reading my sound proofing thread but when my dash was pulled I saw the silver looking thing that is a amp for my radio. Ya!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Nate, I don't know if you are reading my sound proofing thread but when my dash was pulled I saw the silver looking thing that is a amp for my radio. Ya!
So you got the "premium sound" option then huh? I swapped my Kenwood deck over into my new truck, and even with the amp bypassed, I can definitely hear a difference. They must have installed better speakers in those trucks too.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I just got an explorer yesterday, got it on the cheap was gonna use for winter beater so I can park the cc for winter. pretty sure I'm gonna junk it it's seen one too many Illinois winters, but it has JBL speakers in it! I'm thinking those (and some other parts) aren't gonna go with.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread