Originally Posted by FI460
It got unweird?
Haha, only for a little bit

Old 06-07-2016, 06:16 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I'd weigh about 80 lbs if I lived at your house lol.

New topic: This might be beating a dead horse, but I have to bounce this off of you guys. I'm thinking about buying a set of glowshift gauges. I have read that they are hit and miss, but for the money I'm tempted to take the risk. I just don't see myself having the money anytime soon to get a set of really good gauges. I am slowly putting together an e-fuel kit and I want a FP gauge in the cab. I also want to get a chip soon so that's 3 more gauges I need (EGT, Boost, TFT). They are running a father's day sale right now. 15% off. So that means I could get the 4-gauge pod and gauges for $308. It just seems like its worth the gamble.

What do you guys think?
Originally Posted by FI460
I gambled but I can't tell you the results yet. I have the 3 in one gauge but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I figured glowshift gauges are better than no gauges and as future funds allow I'll start replacing them with isspro. Since mine is a manual the only one I'm really worried about the reliability of will be the EGT.
I have a 3 pillar pod with 3 GS gauges (FP, Boost, and EGT) and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single issue with them. They're cheap gauges, but they were what I could afford at the time and I've had them for a little over a year now. So far so good. The only thing about them that bugs me is that they are just a touch brighter in the dark than I would prefer. I got the non-tinted ones, so I think the tinted lenses would likely be a little darker.

Originally Posted by fordpride
What's the down side to using this in our truck ?
None that I have seen. There's a place local to me that sells B20 and I've run it quite a few times. Smells different, exhaust smells different, but the added lubricity is pretty apparent as the injectors are quieter when running the stuff. Fuel mileage and power seems to be just a touch lower, but not so much that you could notice a difference if you weren't looking for it. It used to be priced about $0.10 a gallon cheaper here than regular diesel so I used to buy it all the time. I moved and am not as close to the station that sells it and the price is the same now, so I haven't run it as much recently, but I have no complaints.

BTW, Hi guys, bring on the summer!!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:53 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
3egt?!?!?! Hmmm
Yes you are on the hook for one if I don't do all three... Then maybe again I will just buy you one for all the help...who knows?

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
One in the DP and one in each manifold?
That is what I was planning, Everyone says there is a temp difference...I want to prove it... plus it will help me identify where issues are coming from..

Originally Posted by BBslider001
This sounds like it's getting weird in here again

Weird yes, BS no.... I like data you should have seen what I logged in my focus with torque app...it was a full screen of pids.... Being a cost accountant I am all about data, analyzing trends, and looking for oddities...

I always joke I should have been an engineer....

Old 06-07-2016, 07:51 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck had autometers in it when I got it. That was 3 years ago and I'm not sure how long they were there before I got it. Only thing I did was change the trans temp out for a full sweep gauge and as far as I know, another member has it and it's still kicking. My vote is if the budget allows, get the nicest thing you can. If that's glowshifts so be it, sounds like plenty of guys are running them without issue.

As for the fuel, I think that sticker is everywhere here. Sometimes I'll see a pump without one, but knowing Illinois it's pry all b20. Lol.

What really gets me revved up is not being able to buy gas without ethanol. That stuff is just hell on anything with a carburator. I usually use premium but I think at least here it still has ethanol in it.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
What really gets me revved up is not being able to buy gas without ethanol. That stuff is just hell on anything with a carburator. I usually use premium but I think at least here it still has ethanol in it.
You can make your own fuel, just add water and wait a week or two for it to separate and use the 80% top layer of pure gas

or do like I do and add in 2 stroke oil to the gas and the carb no longer gets dried out with just alcohol and water in the bottom, the oil film protects the metal from corrosion

my JD 69 140 and JD 84 420 run well even after sitting for 6 months

Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the gauge input guys. GS must have made some improvements over the years. Back in 2009 when I joined FTE, GlowShift was a curse word.

There are plenty of gas stations that sell ethanol free gas due to the number of lakes and boats in my area.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
My truck had autometers in it when I got it. That was 3 years ago and I'm not sure how long they were there before I got it. Only thing I did was change the trans temp out for a full sweep gauge and as far as I know, another member has it and it's still kicking. My vote is if the budget allows, get the nicest thing you can. If that's glowshifts so be it, sounds like plenty of guys are running them without issue.

As for the fuel, I think that sticker is everywhere here. Sometimes I'll see a pump without one, but knowing Illinois it's pry all b20. Lol.

Well heck yea that trans gauge works...it is an auto meter after all lol

IMO nothing better than auto meter. You won't find john force using anything else.

Now my new dd psd project...glow shift for the win...but I don't care about it...IF it even needs them really.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:34 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
I have glowshift and my pyro sensor is shot too

Old 06-07-2016, 04:54 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Well heck yea that trans gauge works...it is an auto meter after all lol

IMO nothing better than auto meter. You won't find john force using anything else.

Now my new dd psd project...glow shift for the win...but I don't care about it...IF it even needs them really.
But John Force drives a chevy now, so who cares??

There are all kinds of stations with non ethanol gas around here. It's usually about 30 cents a gallon higher though. But well worth it for the ol carbed motors.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
You can make your own fuel, just add water and wait a week or two for it to separate and use the 80% top layer of pure gas
You don't have to wait a week or two. Just shake it real good and the water / ethanol drops out almost instantly. I've got an ethanol tester that works like that.

It's a test tube that says fill here with gas. Add water to this line, insert stopper and shake. Usually takes about 10 seconds and you can see how much ethanol has fallen out of the gas and get the percentage by the markings on the test tube.

Search youtube and I'm sure there are videos showing this.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:23 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F350-6
You don't have to wait a week or two. Just shake it real good and the water / ethanol drops out almost instantly. I've got an ethanol tester that works like that.

It's a test tube that says fill here with gas. Add water to this line, insert stopper and shake. Usually takes about 10 seconds and you can see how much ethanol has fallen out of the gas and get the percentage by the markings on the test tube.

Search youtube and I'm sure there are videos showing this.
We in Massachusetts have yi make our own or use two-stroke oil. There are no stations that sell non ethanol fuel here.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:12 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
This place is slow today...

Old 06-08-2016, 11:15 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
This place is slow today...

add some stage 1s?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I've got some of those already... I just need the supporting mods lol.

Who knew they made this configuration?!?! VERY NICE 2002 FORD F350 5.4 TRITON AUTO (116,000)

Old 06-08-2016, 11:22 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My dad has a short box crew cab

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread