1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much sense does this make? I'm looking at a new alternator for my truck (mine burned up the rear bearings) and I wanted to get a good one from NAPA. Lifetime warranty. Or not.

The fine print on the lifetime warranty for their alternators limits the warranty period to 2 or 3 years when used on a diesel engine. Doesn't matter if I buy their premium remanufactured one or the brand spanking new one. No lifetime warranty for the oil burners at all regardless of whether it's new or refurbished.

I hate to say it but if that's the case I think I'm gonna get one at Autozoo. At least their lifetime warranty doesn't have any restrictions.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The fine print on the lifetime warranty for their alternators limits the warranty period to 2 or 3 years when used on a diesel engine. Doesn't matter if I buy their premium remanufactured one or the brand spanking new one. No lifetime warranty for the oil burners at all regardless of whether it's new or refurbished.
Why would it be different for Diesels? Anyone Know?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:26 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Can't say I've heard of the "limited" lifetime warranty (2-3 years surely isn't that) just because it's diesel...then again, I'm new to the diesel game and buying parts for same.

I wish I had more space - just came across a guy selling an E40D for cheap...I'd grab it, have it built and store that thing...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
How much sense does this make? I'm looking at a new alternator for my truck (mine burned up the rear bearings) and I wanted to get a good one from NAPA. Lifetime warranty. Or not.

I hate to say it but if that's the case I think I'm gonna get one at Autozoo. At least their lifetime warranty doesn't have any restrictions.
Nate, that is pretty dumb and makes no sense, unless they think a dual battery system creates more wear and tear? The only thing I would wonder is if the NAPA person would even look at that if you had to exchange it for some reason. I would think not these days, but maybe Autozone is better so you don't risk it. They aren't cheap.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Well crap, I wish I had known that. Only reason I bought NAPA was because we deal with them here at the shop, so I figured if there was ever an issue, it would be taken care of. That just plain stinks, Nate. Hopefully all of us are done having truck issues for a while. Turbos, Alternators, PS Hoses, gotta get better at some point.

I would think double batteries would be easier on it, rather than harder.

IDK, its definatly a Monday...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
It says right on their warranty sheet. "Warranty is two years from date of purchase for light trucks and vans equipped with diesel engines under 8,000 lbs GVW."

I'm guessing my local NAPA would cover it for me anyway, but part of the idea in getting one from NAPA was so I could get one under warranty where ever I am. If they're likely to reject the warranty coverage because of the fine print, I'll just get one with a warranty with less fine print...

I'm guessing they figure glow plugs mean heavier electronic usage so that's why they place further restrictions on it. I know that's pretty common on the battery warranties, but this is the first I've looked into the warranty coverage on the alternators. I'm not sure what to do now. I'd much rather get it from NAPA, but if they're not going to stand behind it, I'm hesitant to go that route.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
IDK, its definatly a Monday...
Yeah man. All the way around it's Monday...ugh.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
It says right on their warranty sheet. "Warranty is two years from date of purchase for light trucks and vans equipped with diesel engines under 8,000 lbs GVW."

I'm guessing my local NAPA would cover it for me anyway, but part of the idea in getting one from NAPA was so I could get one under warranty where ever I am. If they're likely to reject the warranty coverage because of the fine print, I'll just get one with a warranty with less fine print...

I'm guessing they figure glow plugs mean heavier electronic usage so that's why they place further restrictions on it. I know that's pretty common on the battery warranties, but this is the first I've looked into the warranty coverage on the alternators. I'm not sure what to do now. I'd much rather get it from NAPA, but if they're not going to stand behind it, I'm hesitant to go that route.
We use carquest alot too. In fact, If there would have been one around, I probably would have put one on. We have had some Napa starters come back, but I will say though, any time we have had a warranty issue with Napa, it was taken care of, no questions asked. Actually Carquest has taken care of things for us that were out of warranty, might not hurt to ask them more about it. Would hate to see you have to put an Autozoo one on it.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Any possibility the gasser like a F350 would use the same alt. model number, I think some also used 2 batteries.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by richdawg
Any possibility the gasser like a F350 would use the same alt. model number, I think some also used 2 batteries.
No, the mounting is all different, just looked it up... To bad that wouldn't work.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
So maybe an alternator for an ambulance would work and have the warranty, i know it would cost more but could be worth it if it had the life time warranty.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
That place is cool looking! Wait, don't we know someone from there?

On a side note, if you haven't experienced Chipotle, your missing out!
lol I wouldn't know what the rest of the place looks like. All I see is the EB (engineering building) basement and labs.

lol Crazy story though! Like wacky enough you were up this way, but that you happened to be on the interstate at the same time and same stretch! like WOW! lol

And yeah Chipotle is like the BOMB! 5 guys burgers and fries is pretty awesome too.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
It was a toss up weather it was going to be Beef-a-roo (another local restaurant to the Rockford area, for those who don't know) or Chiplotle. I knew I wouldn't go wrong with either. But yeah, crazy story for sure. You can't make this stuff up. lol.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by richdawg
So maybe an alternator for an ambulance would work and have the warranty, i know it would cost more but could be worth it if it had the life time warranty.
Nope, same warranty for the Ambulance package alternator (165 amp). Doesn't make a lick of sense to me...

Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a guy here at work that had a Honda Ridgeline that he called a truck. Someone looked up the payload and tow ratings and found the numbers very comparable to an El Camino. We gave him a hard time about it and started calling it the Honda-mino. lol.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Aaron. That is something I'll never understand.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread