1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
I hear you Darin. Finished a tile job a day early and went to pick up checks and drove around all day. Felt like I got nothing accomplished, but sometimes it's just nice to roll around in great running fine looking OBS!
Let's see, I drove around quite a bit today in an OBS bucket truck at work... It sucked.... Mostly b/c it's an IDI and b/c the injection pump just went out today.. LOL

Now I'm rolling in a 2008 6.4 bucket truck.. This thing has been in the shop quite a few times already in it's life. Once for a trans, twice for the radiator, and once for a HPFP.. Wow it is nice to drive though.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I wasn't going to do too much this afternoon, but was gonna put one of the race car batteries in my 76 for the winter ( I got a crappy one in it now, works for the summer months if I need it), bleed its brakes, and do a few more little things. I'll mess with it tomorrow. I was going to put gauges in that superdooty, but I think I'll do that sunday. High of 28* sunday, good day to be in the shop!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are taking high of 70 up my way oooyaaa

Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I wasn't going to do too much this afternoon, but was gonna put one of the race car batteries in my 76 for the winter ( I got a crappy one in it now, works for the summer months if I need it), bleed its brakes, and do a few more little things. I'll mess with it tomorrow. I was going to put gauges in that superdooty, but I think I'll do that sunday. High of 28* sunday, good day to be in the shop!
Y'all make me so happy to live in Texas. LOL Without having a GPR in my truck right now it doesn't even want to start when it got down in the 50s couple weeks ago, much less a high of 28*... EFF THAT! haha

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I gotta deal with the cold, but I'll take my middle of nowhere place to live anytime! No offense Travis, or anyone else for that matter. There are a lot of hunters that come up here and say you guys got a secret up here, don't let it out. It's only a couple day stretch of cold right now. Before long we'll have a month or two or even 3 where 28 feels good!

Eastern part of the state is supposed to be mid-upper 60's tomorrow, and upper 20's and windy sunday! We're only supposed to be upper 40's tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got home from work on time tonight and spent an hour or so fooling around with the new to me rototiller and experimenting with a siphon nozzle burning waste oil. I think I am going to machine a block and convert my shop heater to burn waste oil. This nozzle (in an old torpedo heater) burns it really nice. No smoke whatsoever. Can't even smell it running. I'm not comfortable running it in the shop with the door closed though. So I think I will convert my dual fuel shop furnace from fuel oil to waste oil. Sure is nice to work out there in the winter with it even 50 degrees in the shop. Sure beats a high of 28*! Supposed to be in the 60's here tomorrow. Woo Hoo! Looks like I will be doing some yard work and tinkering outside tomorrow as well!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Is this a requirment of FTE to update what you did today? LOL. Well, OK Beat the crap out of the mare's rear drum to get them off and got them turned. Bought new shoes, cylinder, and hardware. The bolts on the passenger side of the brake cylinder are frozen and striped. I ground one off and I'm soaking the other. Drivers side is good to go. I hate all those springs, I'll probably forget where they go, LOL.

So, while I'm soaking that bolt I proceeded to put in the dynamat sound proofing on the floor. Pretty cool stuff, conforms well with the floor and easy to work with.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Is this a requirment of FTE to update what you did today? LOL. Well, OK Beat the crap out of the mare's rear drum to get them off and got them turned. Bought new shoes, cylinder, and hardware. The bolts on the passenger side of the brake cylinder are frozen and striped. I ground one off and I'm soaking the other. Drivers side is good to go. I hate all those springs, I'll probably forget where they go, LOL.

So, while I'm soaking that bolt I proceeded to put in the dynamat sound proofing on the floor. Pretty cool stuff, conforms well with the floor and easy to work with.
I hate working on drum brakes and usually forget where everything goes. Then I remember to take the other wheel off and voila, complete diagram right in front of me.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
I hate working on drum brakes and usually forget where everything goes. Then I remember to take the other wheel off and voila, complete diagram right in front of me.
That's exactly what I'm doing Todd.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Got down to about 35* last night, coldest so far this year. She did not want to start. Let the glow plugs warm a few times, for a while, and it still wasnt firing, so I plugged it in for about 15 minutes and it fired right up.

What's everyones advice on the long cranks? How long do you crank before you give up?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Is all you gps valve cover gasket harness and relay in order. I got up today and went to town to round up a piece of 4 in pipe for my intake tube, and got a hair cut, then went to work.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
My truck was slow to start this afternoon. Had lower temps the past couple days, and I hadn't run it in a week. Had to move the trailers around. My dad finally got rid of his old camper, traded it for a 14ft flatbed trailer (which is basically mine now).
The frame is in good shape, has drive-over fenders, tandem axle, needs tires soon and the wood deck isn't in great shape.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Great job talyn.that under dash work is not much fun...

Also not to take anything from brother talyn...MY V of death....yep..dry dry dry! It has been a week and the aroma of diesel is much diminished when shut down when hot,hvac is not pulling in so much AND no drips what so ever INSIDE my garage! BIG thanks to bill for the regulator! I resealed the whole thing for and cleaned all the screens and shimmed the regulator.just awesome for now at least...
Mines not.

Stupid seal on the fuel filter went bad or something.
Dumped 10 gallons on my clutch.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Come on guys, the 10.25 drum brakes are so simple!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Awww crap,you and joseph in one week...man,im sorry...sure didnt bother my auto...
I love drum brakes.especially these.i bought the special hold down spring too years ago and they are done likkedy split. Takes longer to turn the drums...
Glenn,ill come do them for ya...but you have to do that mind thing for me so I can see it! Haha

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread