1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:12 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Glenn, that's a pretty common light used in many aftermarket alarms or keyless entry set ups. Maybe the light being on all the time means it's been disconnected?

Look around for a little push button switch under the dash, but where you could reach it from sitting in the driver seat. If it was an alarm set up, it will have one of those too.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:58 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by FI460
Glad to see you're already into something Glenn. Being stuck sucks. Looks like you got a heck of a truck!

Thanks Rick, the only thing now that scares me is, can a stock truck handle this load. I don't care if I'm slow, I just want to make it.

Originally Posted by fordman67
Glenn.that's "babe" the big blue ox!!!!!!! That's my submission to the name that truck contest!

My favorite color that blue is!

My 230/100s and 468 sure pull like a beast I will say that!

When I read that name to my wife, she loved it!!!!!!! LOL I have to much money invested to switch to what you say. I'll go with what I've got and have Jim change my injectors over to stage I's. I think? I'm still trying to figure out a plan to get that motor and trans to AZ??

Originally Posted by tshrager
Take your time with the plan Glenn. There's no need to rush into anything. And like I've said, you have my number if you need anything.

OK Todd, I'll call you sometime after I get a complete plan together. At least I have a friends place near Davisburg, Mi to park it so I don't have to keep paying storage. Its only $20 a day but that could mount up fast!

Originally Posted by F350-6
Glenn, that's a pretty common light used in many aftermarket alarms or keyless entry set ups. Maybe the light being on all the time means it's been disconnected?

Look around for a little push button switch under the dash, but where you could reach it from sitting in the driver seat. If it was an alarm set up, it will have one of those too.

Thanks Chris, I think your right on, the PO did say there was a switch under the dash and showed me about where it is. I'll take a close look.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Wow, I didn't know they were that much Bill.
Well, I got a polished one for the show truck (which has a lot of aftermarket electrical with the stereo system and all) which helps drive the price up a bit too. I hope I never have to use them, but I figure if this cost helps cut off a bigger price tag if a fire ever happens, then it's worth it.

I'm sure similar units can be had for less money in other places especially without special finishes for looks (which admittedly was a part of my decision making - getting something that also visually works with the show truck's interior).

Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks Rick, the only thing now that scares me is, can a stock truck handle this load. I don't care if I'm slow, I just want to make it.

When I read that name to my wife, she loved it!!!!!!! LOL I have to much money invested to switch to what you say. I'll go with what I've got and have Jim change my injectors over to stage I's. I think? I'm still trying to figure out a plan to get that motor and trans to AZ??

OK Todd, I'll call you sometime after I get a complete plan together. At least I have a friends place near Davisburg, Mi to park it so I don't have to keep paying storage. Its only $20 a day but that could mount up fast!

Thanks Chris, I think your right on, the PO did say there was a switch under the dash and showed me about where it is. I'll take a close look.
I'm sure Columbus, Ohio would be a better place to keep it. No storage fees here!

Old 07-18-2015, 11:15 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glenn,

It may be best to ship it back to your place in Arizona intact. I seem to remember you have a relative or something that has shop space to part it out.

If you check out a site called uship you can get bids. Should cost less than $1000 I'd think.

That way you can finish your trip and not worry about it.

Richard

Old 07-18-2015, 12:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i would steer clear of uship. 99% of their contractors are fly by night and do not have insurance. so if they blow a tire on the trailer, and roll it over, you are out. and they give you "sorry, but on the bright side you don't have to pay me for the move".
while the truck really is not worth anything anymore, you could very easily loose what you want to keep and are moving it for in the first place.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i would steer clear of uship. 99% of their contractors are fly by night and do not have insurance. so if they blow a tire on the trailer, and roll it over, you are out. and they give you "sorry, but on the bright side you don't have to pay me for the move".
while the truck really is not worth anything anymore, you could very easily loose what you want to keep and are moving it for in the first place.
This. Got a friend on Facebook who has a lot of experience with this, and UShip is probably the worst option to pick.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:35 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
No way he'd ship it for a grand either unfortunately. What is he, 2000 miles from arizona? Shipping would be a lot more than 50 cents a mile.

I'm not trying to pile on you Richard, just saying. I wish he could get it back there for that cost.

Anything I can do Glenn let me know.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:31 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by tshrager
I'm sure Columbus, Ohio would be a better place to keep it. No storage fees here!

haha, the motor comes out Monday Todd, I'll need a few days to get my other stuff off like that expensive IC.

Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Glenn,

It may be best to ship it back to your place in Arizona intact. I seem to remember you have a relative or something that has shop space to part it out.

If you check out a site called uship you can get bids. Should cost less than $1000 I'd think.

That way you can finish your trip and not worry about it.

Richard

I don't really want the body because I know for a fact my wife would never ride in it again because of the smell. Even if it was cleaned she would still smell it knowing her. I love that truck but its going to have to go bye bye I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by tjc transport

I wouldn't have a place for it down there anyway. What I'm thinking now is using a little trailer that my brother had. Its probably 8' long 5' wide with sides. I remember him saying that I'm not buying a wimby trailer to haul wood in. Its got a fairly big axle with 13" tires, I'm thinking it could handle it. I'll leave the Geo in Mi and go for it. If this stock truck can get me to AZ I'll be happy! Any bets if the Blue Ox (Aaron named it lol) can make it? Even the tow company guy who towed this camper 40 miles back to this campsite said, you have a heavy camper!

Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Well, I got a polished one for the show truck (which has a lot of aftermarket electrical with the stereo system and all) which helps drive the price up a bit too. I hope I never have to use them, but I figure if this cost helps cut off a bigger price tag if a fire ever happens, then it's worth it.

I'm sure similar units can be had for less money in other places especially without special finishes for looks (which admittedly was a part of my decision making - getting something that also visually works with the show truck's interior).

I didn't look real close at the summit link Bill, does the extinguisher put out all fires?

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
No way he'd ship it for a grand either unfortunately. What is he, 2000 miles from arizona? Shipping would be a lot more than 50 cents a mile.

I'm not trying to pile on you Richard, just saying. I wish he could get it back there for that cost.

Anything I can do Glenn let me know.

Thanks Darin!

On a side note Chris, I found that toggle switch and played with it. Wasn't a good move. I had the door open for awhile today getting stuff out of the mare and the alarm went off. I didn't even know it was my truck. I thought it was next door, LOL. It quit but started again and this time I knew it was my truck. I flipped the switch back and worth and it wouldn't stop. I closed the door and locked it, still keep going off. I popped the hood and the horn thing wire didn't have a plug it so I pulled the wire in half. Then awhile later it started pouring so I jumped in the truck and because it was so Damm hot I wanted the air on, it wouldn't start. I flipped the switch in the other way and the motor started.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:34 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Ah man, getting to know a new truck is not always fun when you have limited history. So it sounds like it has a kill switch? How does it run so far? Is it smooth like a new OBS?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:07 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Yes Byron, its tight, feels good, brakes good and runs good. I'm pretty happy so far.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I am glad to hear it. I have always wanted to hear and sit in one that actually idles smooth since mine absolutely does not. Hopefully new Stage 1s and T500 install next month will change that.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I'm sure it will help. Going home with a stock truck will be interesting, to say the least! There is a couple things I will do before leaving Mi, put my 6.0 trans cooler on and my air bags. I might think of something else later.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:56 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Are you going to forego gauges for the trip home since it's all stock? Just getting the gauges installed is a job itself!

I am sure the new injectors will help a ton. I talked with Jim at length and he educated me quite a bit on how they work and why my idle would be so rough. The springs in the poppets get worn or break when they get higher mileage on them and since my truck was used by a work crew before I got it, I am guessing the maintenance was not perfect.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Glenn, I've got a lot of respect for you. I'm not sure I would have enough resilience to do what you're doing.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread