1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad you dont live closer Bill. Theres alot of mines around here. Our CAT dealer is adding on and is gonna hire a bunch soon also. A well rounded guy like you could find work easy here.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
"The old gray mare ain't what she used to be". That's what I'll say in the future, maybe. I bet they want a pretty penny for those wheels! Mine aren't perfect but will have to do for now. Looks like salt, or something, got under the clear coat of part of the wheels, is there a way to fit that? That is if you know what I'm trying to say.
On these Alcoas, when the clear coat starts to peel, a lot of guys take aircraft stripper to them and remove the clear coat altogether.Then you can polish them to a mirror finish (since they're bare aluminum). After that you either wax them (works well in areas where they don't use salt on the roads) or have them re-clear coated. They look really nice after some time with a polisher and some Mothers mag polish!

Nice, NICE truck Glenn! Well done indeed! That thing is going to look amazing pulling that big house down the road. Get those mods and that JW trans in that thing and it will run like a scalded dog too! I'm jealous and I'm not generally a fan of duallies! I agree though, if you're going to have a 2wd dually and use it to tow a 5'er, leave the steps for the wifey, remove the back bumper in favor of a rocker panel painted to match the truck, find a front valance to put on it and add all your go fast goodies under the hood. It will be a towing machine!!

Something like this:
Name:  20120424_185223.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  163.4 KB
Name:  20120424_184816.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  215.4 KB

I like your paint scheme better though...

And yeah, I wish I could pack up and leave to come get that cap (topper, camper shell, whatever you want to call it) right now. That drive would be enough to cost me more than a new one would though! I have been looking for a good one to put on my truck for when we go camping. It really makes it nice to be able to put everything in the truck and not worry about it getting wet or flying away while we're going down the road.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nate it's not a terrible drive. 3 long days though. Reminds me of when I moved out there, I was taking I40 through Amarillo and on those long sweeping hills I noticed something in my rearview a few miles back. I was running about 85-90 and was passed like I was sitting still by 2 379 Pete's with matching spread axle reefer trailers. Bad a$$! They went by me like I was sitting still. Ducked in behind those boys for a few hours. They were cruising about 115. Gotta love Texas.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tshrager
Nate it's not a terrible drive. 3 long days though. Reminds me of when I moved out there, I was taking I40 through Amarillo and on those long sweeping hills I noticed something in my rearview a few miles back. I was running about 85-90 and was passed like I was sitting still by 2 379 Pete's with matching spread axle reefer trailers. Bad a$$! They went by me like I was sitting still. Ducked in behind those boys for a few hours. They were cruising about 115. Gotta love Texas.
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mbH60wCO-Yw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

"Mmmmm, God Bless Texas!"

I love those 379 Petes. To me, they just look like a big rig should look. I used to know a guy that build High power diesels for big rigs and he had a customer with a 379 that he had built up to about 1100 HP. After this guy got everything together for the guy, he told him that he took it from coast to coast and only had to drop down a gear ONCE when his EGT's were getting up there. He said with that much torque and weight on the drive axles it is hard to keep the tires on them. The drive tires actually CRUMBLE and big chunks break off of them! LOL. That's some ungodly torque!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
^^^^ See that Joseph?! All the GUYS in that video are wearing shirts! LOL!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
By the way, guys, I'm going to be in Nashville, TN this weekend. I'm not sure who's in the area out there, but I'm just letting you guys know in case somebody wants to party. I'll be down there with a friend. We'll be hitting up bars and stupid stuff like that.
That bumms me out seeing as I'm back in Michigan

Few guys over in the Buro, but thats about it.

Last edited by Talyn; 11-02-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: I typed Tennessee. haha.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
ROFL
Nate gotcha there...

Very nice Truck Glenn!!!
Im leaving at 11:30 Central for Lakewood Colorado to go pickup MY NEW BEAST!
Im in the same seat as you Glenn...except I have less goodies to swap and I dont rely on my truck to move my home!

I sure am excited... never had money to do projects and buy/sell vehicles as I please. I cant even decide what I want to do... swap goodies and keep the CC with almost 75k more miles than my current... or just clean er up...flush all fluids and sell it for a profit then start looking for another... lol

Decisions. Glenn if you're only an hour or two from Colorado (which I know is impossible you should come on up!) lol

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
I love Pete's, KW's, old Mack's, anything that looks cool really. My dad used to run steel back in the 70's. It's funny because I tell him about some of the power these guys are laying down on here and he laughs because some if his old rigs were such dogs. This is pretty cool here.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Classic 1965 Peterbilt Screamin Detroit - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone

Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
These old B models are flat out cool as hell.

B Model Mack Truck Pull - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone

Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
That's some good stuff! My grandpa was an old school truck driver and watching this stuff makes me think of him.

Here is a good one! Watch this guy shift this 5 and 4 without clutching. The sound is terrible on this video, but you get the idea. Lol, 10-12 PSI boost too!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ol7StdtHEMc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

These guys were artists, not just steering wheel holders like a lot of the idiots that I see here at work these days. Takes some of these guys forever just to back into the dock.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks Nate!

Good luck on your trip Alex, I'm a long way from CO but I know you can handle it.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Too bad you dont live closer Bill. Theres alot of mines around here. Our CAT dealer is adding on and is gonna hire a bunch soon also. A well rounded guy like you could find work easy here.
Yea,the cat dealer plans to put 5 of my buddies out of work...i told them they should go apply...well see how that goes

Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Well Glenn, After reading all this post about your NEW truck, I want to say that YOUR wife made a very good decision.

Seriously I like a lot the truck as it is now (and Im not fan of duallies), specially the paint scheme, including the steps, BUT maybe you are going to make some mods in the exterior (not mentioning the other mods), that your wife will let you

Congrats for the new nice truck.

BIEN HECHO AMIGO.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
On these Alcoas, when the clear coat starts to peel, a lot of guys take aircraft stripper to them and remove the clear coat altogether.Then you can polish them to a mirror finish (since they're bare aluminum). After that you either wax them (works well in areas where they don't use salt on the roads) or have them re-clear coated. They look really nice after some time with a polisher and some Mothers mag polish!

Nice, NICE truck Glenn! Well done indeed! That thing is going to look amazing pulling that big house down the road. Get those mods and that JW trans in that thing and it will run like a scalded dog too! I'm jealous and I'm not generally a fan of duallies! I agree though, if you're going to have a 2wd dually and use it to tow a 5'er, leave the steps for the wifey, remove the back bumper in favor of a rocker panel painted to match the truck, find a front valance to put on it and add all your go fast goodies under the hood. It will be a towing machine!!

Something like this:

I like your paint scheme better though...

And yeah, I wish I could pack up and leave to come get that cap (topper, camper shell, whatever you want to call it) right now. That drive would be enough to cost me more than a new one would though! I have been looking for a good one to put on my truck for when we go camping. It really makes it nice to be able to put everything in the truck and not worry about it getting wet or flying away while we're going down the road.
I agree with all your comments except I think he needs the rear bumper I thinki the mod looks good but not very effective and might not be legal in some states I also like the canopy (can a pee) thats what we call em they also provide some extra security, but storing them can be a problem. Mine is a glasstight looks cool to me but disadvantage is mine is very heavy so I need 3 or 4 to take off and on.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
These guys are rookies. SWIFT = Stop Whining I'm Fu($&@/ Trying

Ohhhhh Canada. This KW is pretty cool

Smokin' Gun Diesel Drag Race Truck, huge burnout! June 2009 Calgary - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread