1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Around here it's no different. It seems like I've been short a guy all summer. I was figuring out how many days I've had off this year and I've counted 3 so far. I'm hoping there's a fourth in there but I am really doubting it. The first week of January were doing a guys week at the cabin. It'll be nice. Wood stove, ice fishing, atv's, guns and NO PHONE. It will be like heaven.
When we were kids, my dad moved the family to Columbus to go to grad school and start in a new direction. I just found out last week, that he almost moved us to Wisconsin to buy a large dairy farm. He loved the life as a farmer, but at the end of the day, he couldn't see himself/family being married to the cows. Oh how different life would be.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tshrager
When we were kids, my dad moved the family to Columbus to go to grad school and start in a new direction. I just found out last week, that he almost moved us to Wisconsin to buy a large dairy farm. He loved the life as a farmer, but at the end of the day, he couldn't see himself/family being married to the cows. Oh how different life would be.
Where did you guys move from?

Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When my division of what to do came up it was either drive truck or farm. I love driving. I always have. Probably always will. But I don't like local work. Give me a load and see ya later. I enjoy the cows and I am good at it. I didn't want to raise a family while I'm gone all the time so I chose the farm for them. I haven't thought twice about my decision. Although I do miss the days off and the holidays. On a side note my kids have been playing piano for just over a year. They went to an audition with a local orchestra just before summer and got the part. They perform on November 8. Here's a little blip of the audition. (There the twins)

Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
That's GREAT Nick! Your girls are really something! You should be VERY proud my friend!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Not a proud Dad are you Nick? If not you should be! LOL You have a couple of dolls!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Where did you guys move from?
Northern Ohio. Not terribly far from Nate.

When my division of what to do came up it was either drive truck or farm. I love driving. I always have. Probably always will. But I don't like local work. Give me a load and see ya later. I enjoy the cows and I am good at it. I didn't want to raise a family while I'm gone all the time so I chose the farm for them. I haven't thought twice about my decision. Although I do miss the days off and the holidays. On a side note my kids have been playing piano for just over a year. They went to an audition with a local orchestra just before summer and got the part. They perform on November 8. Here's a little blip of the audition. (There the twins)
Piano Extravaganza with Ian Parker - YouTube
Your girls have talent!

Dad drove truck before and during his under grad degree. When he wanted to better the situation for the family, he wanted to get his grad degree or start a farm. Lol. Interesting dichotomy.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I still remember the video of you pouring water over their heads Nick. Cute girls!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:53 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Man Todd you really missed out!! LOL Ah the smell of a dairy farm. I actually think its not a bad life, but wow does it require pretty much everything you have and more.

Piano Extravaganza with Ian Parker - YouTube
Nick, your girls are really something to be proud of. Bill is right about that.

All this talk of life direction and different decisions has got me thinking about our own life changes. My background has always been with horses...cutting and cowhorses to be exact. Its what I thought I would always do until my dying days. When the economy went bust around 2009, it put me in a different direction, and truth be told, really broke my heart to leave that behind for school. But, with a child on the way, it seemed to be the best thing to do. Luckily, I am blessed with a supportive wife who helped me have some clarity and said "you need to be back on a horse, at least part time to some degree". Like you said about cows Nick, I am good at it and I have a ton of time invested from previous years of working for other trainers and ranchers. Its dumb not to do what I love and what I am good at. I couldn't be more stoked!

So, here we are making a major move in a different direction, but the RIGHT direction and it feels good and right. Sorry for the book. You guys inspired me! LOL!!!

Todd, you'll get it done before that little baby comes. I got faith in you. You got more done in the last 6 months than most guys do in 2 years!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the chances lol. I'm in a similar situation now. I'm ready to get life started and am wondering what to do with myself (although farming and truck driving aren't on the list... For the most part). I have a good job at UPS, I just can't stand it there. Big corporation = crookedness

Iv been kicking around the idea of starting my own business transporting cars but still working the sort at UPS at night for insurance. I could stay working at UPS making good money but disliking my job. I'm just hoping God kinda kicks me in the butt and shoves me in the right direction.

My girlfriend has been incredibly supportive of me either way. She really thinks I should try the transporting but, like anyone starting a business, I could lose it all

Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
That's GREAT Nick! Your girls are really something! You should be VERY proud my friend!
Originally Posted by farmert
Not a proud Dad are you Nick? If not you should be! LOL You have a couple of dolls!
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I still remember the video of you pouring water over their heads Nick. Cute girls!!
Thanks guys. Thing about being proud is it really doesn't matter what your kids do in life. You should always be proud of them.
Northern Ohio. Not terribly far from Nate. Your girls have talent! Dad drove truck before and during his under grad degree. When he wanted to better the situation for the family, he wanted to get his grad degree or start a farm. Lol. Interesting dichotomy.
Funny how stuff like that works. And the paths people take and do for there kids.
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Man Todd you really missed out!! LOL Ah the smell of a dairy farm. I actually think its not a bad life, but wow does it require pretty much everything you have and more. Nick, your girls are really something to be proud of. Bill is right about that. All this talk of life direction and different decisions has got me thinking about our own life changes. My background has always been with horses...cutting and cowhorses to be exact. Its what I thought I would always do until my dying days. When the economy went bust around 2009, it put me in a different direction, and truth be told, really broke my heart to leave that behind for school. But, with a child on the way, it seemed to be the best thing to do. Luckily, I am blessed with a supportive wife who helped me have some clarity and said "you need to be back on a horse, at least part time to some degree". Like you said about cows Nick, I am good at it and I have a ton of time invested from previous years of working for other trainers and ranchers. Its dumb not to do what I love and what I am good at. I couldn't be more stoked! So, here we are making a major move in a different direction, but the RIGHT direction and it feels good and right. Sorry for the book. You guys inspired me! LOL!!! Todd, you'll get it done before that little baby comes. I got faith in you. You got more done in the last 6 months than most guys do in 2 years!
Having a good wife to stand behind you and sometimes give you a good kick in the a$$ can sure make life easier. Don't tell my wife. She might get ambitious.
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
What's the chances lol. I'm in a similar situation now. I'm ready to get life started and am wondering what to do with myself (although farming and truck driving aren't on the list... For the most part). I have a good job at UPS, I just can't stand it there. Big corporation = crookedness Iv been kicking around the idea of starting my own business transporting cars but still working the sort at UPS at night for insurance. I could stay working at UPS making good money but disliking my job. I'm just hoping God kinda kicks me in the butt and shoves me in the right direction. My girlfriend has been incredibly supportive of me either way. She really thinks I should try the transporting but, like anyone starting a business, I could lose it all
JP I would probably try to pick up some work here and there. If transport is what you really want to do then go for it. I couldn't imagine working for someone again. If I wasn't farming I would have bought a truck long ago aand

Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I couldn't imagine working for someone again.
And that's where I wanna be lol

Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
I'm just hoping God kinda kicks me in the butt and shoves me in the right direction.
Our sermon at church was on that topic.
I had to choose between farming and engineering. I chose engineering because I wanted to be able to support a family a little easier even though it kills me not to be a farmer. Luckily I have family close that I get to help out inthe evenings and weekends. I figured it would be easier to start farming small while having a job in town until the farm grows. I hope to make the transition to full time farming someday.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:05 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Engineering is such a volatile field around my neck of the woods. Been in the business 19 years, built buildings all over the mid-Atlantic region. But the work is very unstable at times. There was a period where I went through 3 different companies in a period of 2 years because of it.

I've given thought at times of going and doing something else all together and have entertained thoughts of putting my shingle out on my own for some drafting and engineering services, but it's a risk for sure these days. I do have some small side-job type things that I do that help pay for truck parts and stuff though...one will see where it leads.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:44 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Been too busy to do much but lurk lately but I'm still around!

Got exhaust on dads pickup yesterday. He did 4" and it's definitely louder than my 5". I've got cali injectors too so that may have something to do with it. He's in love with the noise now though.

I've still got gauges for both our trucks and I've got the 6.0l torn apart trying to change the ICP. Whoever decided on the location of that thing needs to be kicked squarely in the crotch.

I flushed my coolant a few weeks back on the 7.3 and now my water pump is leaking . Guess it's time to start looking into IH...

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FI460
Been too busy to do much but lurk lately but I'm still around!

Got exhaust on dads pickup yesterday. He did 4" and it's definitely louder than my 5". I've got cali injectors too so that may have something to do with it. He's in love with the noise now though.

I've still got gauges for both our trucks and I've got the 6.0l torn apart trying to change the ICP. Whoever decided on the location of that thing needs to be kicked squarely in the crotch.

I flushed my coolant a few weeks back on the 7.3 and now my water pump is leaking . Guess it's time to start looking into IH...
I agree. And why in the world would you put timing gears in the back of the engine??? LOL!

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread