1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by FI460
That's dedication right there. I'm a few hours south of you and I would already have given up riding a bike. It's gotten too darn cold for that.

In the winter I stay in the warmth of my cab with my heated seat pad...
Well my thinking is this:

It's only a 5 mile commute, I have warm/waterproof gear, I can park the motorcycle less than 10 feet from the building...

To park the truck I'd be at least 1 or 2 blocks away and I would get cold and soaked walking to the building. And the motorcycle parking permit is $65 vs. $200 for a auto permit.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Well my thinking is this:

It's only a 5 mile commute, I have warm/waterproof gear, I can park the motorcycle less than 10 feet from the building...

To park the truck I'd be at least 1 or 2 blocks away and I would get cold and soaked walking to the building. And the motorcycle parking permit is $65 vs. $200 for a auto permit.
You could have just let us all think you were a super-dedicated motorcycle maniac, you know!? LOL

Here we thought you were some rough, tough motorcycle enthusiast and come to find out.....you're just cheap and lazy!

Just messing with you Brownie. I'm jealous mostly. I had a little bike before I got married and sold it because at the time I had a Mustang that I would rather have driven and put my time, money and energy into. Now that I'm married with kids, the wife says no. No bike for me. Oddly enough though she seems to be okay with the idea of a dirt bike. Guess I need to look for some sort of dual sport or enduro like you have. It's not the bike so much she is afraid of, it's the negligent idiots on the roadways that kill the bikers because they're not paying attention. I think they should bring up criminal charges against someone who isn't paying attention and causes a wreck. Call it criminal negligence or something. There are just too many people bee bopping down the road, while talking (or worse --TEXTING) on their phone, while drinking coffee, while changing radio stations, while applying makeup, etc, etc and paying NO attention to what is happening around them. These folks are dangerous! I guess I see her point. That's partly why I drive a 3 and a half ton tank as my DD! LOL. If you can't see me coming in that thing, you must be flat out blind!!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha yeah Nate but these tanks come with a responsibility not to be that idiot as well! lol Even if they dont see ya... you gotta watch out cuz if you get hit or hit someone with one of these... my guess is YOU WIN! lol

less its a peterbilt... then my money is on them.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a guy that lives close to me that rides his Harley year round. The guy must work 3rd shift, because every night at midnight there he goes. Rain or shine, that's rather dedicated.

On a different note, I went shooting with my buddies on Saturday. Had the bed of the CCLB loaded up with about 30 guns and ammo. We shot for nearly 6 hrs straight. The ammo bill was not cheap, but man was it fun.

Nate, did you get an e mail from me?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tshrager
There is a guy that lives close to me that rides his Harley year round. The guy must work 3rd shift, because every night at midnight there he goes. Rain or shine, that's rather dedicated.

On a different note, I went shooting with my buddies on Saturday. Had the bed of the CCLB loaded up with about 30 guns and ammo. We shot for nearly 6 hrs straight. The ammo bill was not cheap, but man was it fun.

Nate, did you get an e mail from me?
Wow, sounds like a good time!

Yes sir. I did. I will get the video loaded up here shortly.

Edit: Never mind. It seems the antivirus here on my work PC is messing up the video when I try to send it to youtube. I may have to wait until I can do it from home.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wow, sounds like a good time!

Yes sir. I did. I will get the video loaded up here shortly.

Edit: Never mind. It seems the antivirus here on my work PC is messing up the video when I try to send it to youtube. I may have to wait until I can do it from home.
Ok no problem. Just wanted to make sure you got it

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it you do Nate?
Im curious... cuz it seems we both are on here in the morning... while at work! lol

Annoying part of work computer is the lack of videos and pictures in the threads...
Work doesnt block craigslist or FTE so I can have some good down time between stuff, but it blocks Picasa...photobucket..youtube...and ebay.

So my viewing pleasure on some threads is limited.

lol if a thread is REALLY picture intensive like Gabe's makeover thread. I would check my phone as i read on the computer sometimes. LOL

Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Coffee!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
What is it you do Nate?
Im curious... cuz it seems we both are on here in the morning... while at work! lol

Annoying part of work computer is the lack of videos and pictures in the threads...
Work doesnt block craigslist or FTE so I can have some good down time between stuff, but it blocks Picasa...photobucket..youtube...and ebay.

So my viewing pleasure on some threads is limited.

lol if a thread is REALLY picture intensive like Gabe's makeover thread. I would check my phone as i read on the computer sometimes. LOL

Yeah I spend a lot of my downtime on here and CL too while I am at work. I get all the pictures and videos too, but there are a few select things I can't do, and apparently uploading vids to my Youtube account is one of them!

I am a Facilities Coordinator for the corporate offices of a local (Fortune 500) food service company. Basically I manage our campus-wide HVAC systems and coordinate maintenance and construction projects with our preferred contractors. Since a large part of my job responsibilities are tied to managing our HVAC system (on the computer) I am at my desk pretty frequently in between putting out the little "fires" that pop up during the day. It is a semi-white collar job. I've been here for going on two years and it is a GREAT place to be. It's a big difference from the construction industry, which is where I spent the 11 years prior to coming here. This job has been a real blessing. And let's just say that with the track record that this company has....."it has to be good".

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
Coffee!!!!!!
Yes sir! Coffee!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yeah I spend a lot of my downtime on here and CL too while I am at work. I get all the pictures and videos too, but there are a few select things I can't do, and apparently uploading vids to my Youtube account is one of them!

I am a Facilities Coordinator for the corporate offices of a local (Fortune 500) food service company. Basically I manage our campus-wide HVAC systems and coordinate maintenance and construction projects with our preferred contractors. Since a large part of my job responsibilities are tied to managing our HVAC system (on the computer) I am at my desk pretty frequently in between putting out the little "fires" that pop up during the day. It is a semi-white collar job. I've been here for going on two years and it is a GREAT place to be. It's a big difference from the construction industry, which is where I spent the 11 years prior to coming here. This job has been a real blessing. And let's just say that with the track record that this company has....."it has to be good".
I'm trying to jump into that boat as well.

It's getting close enough to swim too. I just don't know if they will throw down the ladder yet.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Did you get your truck all put back together Talyn? I see your location still shows TN, I thought you were back up in MI now, no? I'm curious what part of MI you are (or were) in. My wife's family is all from MI. We're actually headed up that way for Thanksgiving here next week (sheesh! Thanksgiving already!).

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
I'm trying to jump into that boat as well.

It's getting close enough to swim too. I just don't know if they will throw down the ladder yet.
Yeah I was really blessed to have the chance to get a job here. It is a pretty coveted place to work where I am from. They were one of my big accounts for the place I used to work (I was the key contact for one of their "preferred contractors"). That "in" and a couple other, rather remarkable, turns of events were what got me in the door here. At any rate, let's just say that me getting in here was driven by a set of circumstances that were pretty much out of my hands. I am, admittedly, "religious" (even though I despise that term and the negative connotation that it carries to a lot of people) and feel that this is where I am supposed to be. I hope to make a career here. I'd love to stay here until I retire in, oh, about 35 or 40 years or so...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
You know what the problem is with retirement Nate? Your to old and banged up to be able to 'really' enjoy it.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Did you get your truck all put back together Talyn? I see your location still shows TN, I thought you were back up in MI now, no? I'm curious what part of MI you are (or were) in. My wife's family is all from MI. We're actually headed up that way for Thanksgiving here next week (sheesh! Thanksgiving already!).
Doesn't help me any if you don't tell me where your going.

And yes, I'm back in Michigan for the winter.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread