1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Do you use all their products, like engine oil and tranny fluid and such? It all seems like pretty good stuff. Hows their prices? It doesn't say on the page
Yeah I use their full synthetic tranny fluid, 5w40 oil, and gear oil.
I started using it a while back when I read a thread on here or on Bobistheoilguy forum about a truck first running royal purple, then mobil 1, and then schaeffers for same intervals and all that stuff and having them tested at the same time periods.

Long story short schaeffers ran cooler and went longer before showing signs of shearing, so that was good enough for me.

There prices are a tad higher like any specialty brand, but are close to what all mobil 1 and royal purple prices run around here. The difficulty is you have to find a dealer they arent at all parts stores etc.
You can order directly from them and if you order like $250+ at one time it is free shipping! Lol

I have also found that different dealers the price will vary by $0.50 or so per quart of oil or something based on what that company wants to make for profit.
The place I purchase my oil from sells in 12qt cases and they go for $90 with tax. Some other dealers sell the 5 gallon buckets and it is a tad less.

When I started I bought two cases and then one case after that because 3 cases is roughly 2 oil changes.

I also run the 'Big Donaldson' as Todd posted up in another thread.. so an oil change roughly costs me $120.

BUT after a few oil changes when i swapped to synthetic I made sure to check at 3000 and 5000. There was nothing bad. I took it out to 7500 once and the analysis was good, but since my truck doesnt get that many miles I dont like to let it sit that long since my truck leaks.

Originally Posted by madMatador78
Yeah I'm about 95% sure, some of them have a tag that says "SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY"

And yes those girls are giving me the creeps. lol
Alex, I cant remembered if I asked or not, but where is the nearest Shaeffer's dealer to us?

Did some more wheeling and dealing last night, the Nissan will be Gone Firday, traded it for my new winter beater, a 90 Ranger. Actually a pretty nice truck. Freshly painted box, paint on the rest is ok, rust is minimal for 24 years old, got the 4.0 in it. Gonna part the explorer out, some parts will work in the ranger. But I'm still looking to do that console mod in my truck at some point. Just glad I get to park the CC for the winter for sure now! Don't have to worry about that salt touching her.
Nice man! Im not sure if you saw my thread, but ive done some dealing as well! You buying that chip helped me afford the engine.

Lefthander Chassis in Roscoe(maybe rockton address IDK) carries the gear, oil, tranny fluid!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I looked up their dealer locater. Theres a dealer 20 miles from me. Not bad!

Im watching their Million Mile Gas Engine Teardown. Im sold lol. They have a Ford 5.4L with, literally, right at a million miles. Tore it down and it looks like a 100,000 mile motor. Since my V10 is basically a 5.4L with 2 extra cylinders, It makes me want to give it a try lol. Although I usually trade off trucks every year...

Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Yeah I use their full synthetic tranny fluid, 5w40 oil, and gear oil.
I started using it a while back when I read a thread on here or on Bobistheoilguy forum about a truck first running royal purple, then mobil 1, and then schaeffers for same intervals and all that stuff and having them tested at the same time periods.

Long story short schaeffers ran cooler and went longer before showing signs of shearing, so that was good enough for me.

There prices are a tad higher like any specialty brand, but are close to what all mobil 1 and royal purple prices run around here. The difficulty is you have to find a dealer they arent at all parts stores etc.
You can order directly from them and if you order like $250+ at one time it is free shipping! Lol

I have also found that different dealers the price will vary by $0.50 or so per quart of oil or something based on what that company wants to make for profit.
The place I purchase my oil from sells in 12qt cases and they go for $90 with tax. Some other dealers sell the 5 gallon buckets and it is a tad less.

When I started I bought two cases and then one case after that because 3 cases is roughly 2 oil changes.

I also run the 'Big Donaldson' as Todd posted up in another thread.. so an oil change roughly costs me $120.

BUT after a few oil changes when i swapped to synthetic I made sure to check at 3000 and 5000. There was nothing bad. I took it out to 7500 once and the analysis was good, but since my truck doesnt get that many miles I dont like to let it sit that long since my truck leaks.

Nice man! Im not sure if you saw my thread, but ive done some dealing as well! You buying that chip helped me afford the engine.

Lefthander Chassis in Roscoe(maybe rockton address IDK) carries the gear, oil, tranny fluid!
May have to check into that. I'm sure somewhere in Rockford sells it too.

And Yes I did see that Alex. Very nice find. I remember you talking about it, glad you snagged it! Might be intrested in those injectors if your unloading them , (gotta get some more $$ saved up first)

I'm just relieved that she wont have to see salt. I'll post some pics of the ranger when I get it. I'm pretty excited actually, the guy is getting somthing he wants and I'm getting somthing I want, in my mind its the perfect trade.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Rarely does it work that way lol

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
JP, Royal Purple is only synthetic from what I recall. They did not offer a conventional. The whole point of RP was to offer synthetic. If that is what you have, you have some pretty good stuff and I would use it with no problems.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i use valvoline products in everything for the past 40 years.
all fleet engine oil, high performance 80-90 wt gear oil, and mercon V trans fluid.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Right on!
haha Thomas I didnt think of you, but I will certainly keep you in mind now.

I now have 2 sets of injectors on the shelf. I was just posting the doors on CL and found a guy who is in need of 7.3 injectors for his 97. I literally just got off the phone with him. lol
But like I said I have 2 extra sets, so alls well!

Edit: Had to change Tom to Thomas since Tom posted after Thomas. lol

Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Not bad for my first slab
Name:  null_zpsbfcc1d56.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  null_zps56f4da1f.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  161.2 KB

Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BBslider001
JP, Royal Purple is only synthetic from what I recall. They did not offer a conventional. The whole point of RP was to offer synthetic. If that is what you have, you have some pretty good stuff and I would use it with no problems.
This wasn't Royal Purple. Its Lucas lol

Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rarely does it work that way lol
Yeah I know, I was kinda shocked its working this well too. I got that Nissan in trade cause it was the only way I was going to get rid of that mercedes, (if I had known how hard that car would have been to get rid of, I would have never bought it) the car (nissan) really isn't me, so I figured if I could get somthing I could use so I could park the CC. Threw up an add on CL, and the first guy that legitly contacted me was seriously interested in the Sentra, his kid has one they have been tinkering with and he just happend to want one for himself, he had the ranger sitting around and it will be the perfect winter beater. Its an Extended Cab so I'll still have some room, and ran great. He's happy I'm happy!

Sorry for the novel, Comes with being detail oriented I guess.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Im in a better mood now today! I decided to get off my lazy butt and do something so I cleaned up the garage. I threw out a bunch of parts for the Chevy that I didn't need and made a lot of room. The best news is I can finally get to the Powerstroke motor! I haven't decided if I want to start tearing into it now or wait til my father in law builds his heavy duty engine stand... And not to mention he has an idea of what he is doing lol. Im good at the deconstruction... its putting them back together where I get stuck...

Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Im diggin it Mike!
It looks like a stand-alone section.. is that for another garage or a job elsewhere?

Im in a better mood now today! I decided to get off my lazy butt and do something so I cleaned up the garage. I threw out a bunch of parts for the Chevy that I didn't need and made a lot of room. The best news is I can finally get to the Powerstroke motor! I haven't decided if I want to start tearing into it now or wait til my father in law builds his heavy duty engine stand... And not to mention he has an idea of what he is doing lol. Im good at the deconstruction... its putting them back together where I get stuck...
haha I hear you there. Thats another thing that intrigued me about my purchase. It is completely apart and I will get to tinker with all the parts n put it back together.

I just need to make up a list of what should be checked/honed/machined before I re-assemble to make sure it will end with a good product.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
It for my woodworking shop

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Im still wondering what that engine will look like on the inside... If it got hot enough to ruin one of the cylinders, whats the rest gonna look like? Not to mention the bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread